Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 10:12 AM

37 posts, read 274,544 times

Advertisements

Just want to make it clear, there is also a similar title called Environmental Studies, but what I'm talking about is Environmental Science. So, has anyone gotten a degree in Environmental Science? How do you like it? Was it a good decision you made? I'm just researching about my number one future career choice. If it's bad, I want a good reason why it's a bad choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 01:47 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,106,706 times
Yea, I do. My first degree is in Environmental Sciences, hard sciences type (requiring Calc, Physics, Bio, Chem).

It's definitely in the top quarter or majors in terms of employability.

Just a bachelors should be good for a fairly stable middle class income and decent career. You could go the way of Environmental Consulting and Engineering or nonprofit or government. The first one has the bulk of the jobs. Nonprofit jobs are scarce and pay scarce. Government jobs are hard to get and require an advanced degree usually.

For the most part, the work in consulting is not that stressful and not long hours. However, there is a lot of travel and expect to get laid off. The job goes with the economy and construction industry. If things aren't being built, there's no need for environmental assessments.

All in all, it's an OK major and industry.

You must like being outside and in the elements and doing some physical work. Otherwise, you will hate it.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:25 PM

Thank you for the reply. I don't mind going outside and doing physical work at all. It will be a bonus if I am able to get into the heart of nature. Now some more questions

-Where outside did you go to? Was it just going to some ordinary site to assess it or going into nature like a wildlife park?

-What's a day like in environmental consultation? What do the employers expect and ask from you when you do consultation?

-How much math and what kind of math did you do when you worked? I don't mind doing math but I'm not as strong as others who are majoring in a degree that uses a lot more math like Engineering or Physics. I like to come prepared with the right amount of knowledge and not waste my time on learning math that won't be used in the career

Last edited by aisaum; 07-04-2012 at 03:06 PM..

Old 07-05-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisaum View Post
Thank you for the reply. I don't mind going outside and doing physical work at all. It will be a bonus if I am able to get into the heart of nature. Now some more questions

-Where outside did you go to? Was it just going to some ordinary site to assess it or going into nature like a wildlife park?

-What's a day like in environmental consultation? What do the employers expect and ask from you when you do consultation?

-How much math and what kind of math did you do when you worked? I don't mind doing math but I'm not as strong as others who are majoring in a degree that uses a lot more math like Engineering or Physics. I like to come prepared with the right amount of knowledge and not waste my time on learning math that won't be used in the career
Much more routine than you could probably imagine. Going to job sites and cleaning up gas spills or chemical spills. Sometimes gas stations, sometimes a vacant supermarket.

If you want the forest park ranger type gig, you could go that route, but you'll likely have to relocate and earn very little pay, if the gig is even full time.

No math past high school level if that...

Old 07-05-2012, 11:49 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,779,381 times
Environmental Science is still really broad and I think you'd still want to specialize further. Make sure you get a good science and math background, some good naturalist skills (e.g. plant id if you want to be a wetlands biologist), and take all the GIS courses you can.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:10 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,302,034 times
Be careful with environmental science programs. Some are good, but many are absolute garbage. If the program does not require organic chemistry, genetics, advanced statistics, and involve hands on work with modern analytical instruments, you are just wasting your time. Many schools produce graduates that are unemployable in the field and not ready for graduate work. In other words, don't take a humanities curriculum disguised as science if you expect to work as a scientist.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
Be careful with environmental science programs. Some are good, but many are absolute garbage. If the program does not require organic chemistry, genetics, advanced statistics, and involve hands on work with modern analytical instruments, you are just wasting your time. Many schools produce graduates that are unemployable in the field and not ready for graduate work. In other words, don't take a humanities curriculum disguised as science if you expect to work as a scientist.
All of that means virtually nothing in the real world though.

The school I graduated from is ranked #2 in the WORLD for Environmental Sciences. I didn't know that actually I just looked it up. And the degree required O-Chem, Biology, Calc, Physics, all that jazz.

Somebody who graduated with an Environmental Studies degree (soft science option) from the local no-name college could have all of the options I'd have in terms of jobs more or less. And once they got their foot in the door and got the job, we'd be on complete equal footing.

It might matter in applying to phd programs, but I wouldn't know. I did take a grad class in ES while doing my grad studies in something else. I'd say the only thing you need from your undergrad is Chemistry and you can catch up on that pretty quickly.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:06 PM

CSUEB Catalog 2011-2012: Environmental Science - Undergraduate

CSU East Bay is where I'll be transferring to. The link shows the classes I must take. As for the specialization, I looked at the job ads in monster.com for Environmental Scientists, and all the employers are looking for someone who knows more about geological/physical science knowledge and skillset. So, I'm picking the Physical Science option. Plus I think it has more class choices and an internship. What are your comments/thoughts?

I chose CSU East Bay because it's the closest one to me, it has the quarter system, and one of the few CSU schools who has an Environmental Science major who's doing the science stuff more and not about the policies and all that, but I'm open to any suggestions. Do note that I come from a disadvantaged background so I'm not willing to go to an expensive private school just because it has a well-known name when I can get the same degree at another affordable, practical school and have the same employability.

Last edited by aisaum; 07-06-2012 at 01:15 PM..

Old 07-06-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisaum View Post
CSUEB Catalog 2011-2012: Environmental Science - Undergraduate

CSU East Bay is where I'll be transferring to. The link shows the classes I must take. As for the specialization, I looked at the job ads in monster.com for Environmental Scientists, and all the employers are looking for someone who knows more about geological/physical science knowledge and skillset. So, I'm picking the Physical Science option. Plus I think it has more class choices and an internship. What are your comments/thoughts?
Looks pretty similar to the curriculum i had while at a UC.

You should be good. Again i emphasize make sure you like being out in the elements and can handle some physical work.

We used to get these girls who were fresh grads and would show up to their first day at work with nails and hair done. Then they find out theyre outside all day doing physical work and they start thinking about a career change by their second week.

I would also add ... id its possible, major in environmental engineering. It will open a lot more doors for you.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:28 PM

The only beef I have with Environmental Engineering is the math. I like math but some college professors makes the math incomprehensible and brutal, especially the harder math classes.

Last edited by aisaum; 07-06-2012 at 01:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities