Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2016, 05:49 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
At my University about 10% of undergraduates belong to a sorority or fraternity. When you consider all students (law, medicine, grad school, PhD) it is far less than that.
Yes, and that's not unusual. This is why I said the OP is probably overestimating the importance of the Greek system at their school. It's usually a small percent, unless it's a small school. But the OP went to a big state school. There are usually dances and other social events organized in the Student Union building and elsewhere that are non-Greek and aimed at the general student body, in addition to smaller on-campus groups and organizations that organize their own events.

Also, there is usually an off-campus scene, where a group of students renting a house or big apartment have parties for their friends. These kinds of things can be off the general radar if you don't know anyone who's involved, though. The Greeks may seem to have an outsized presence in that regard: word travels fast through their grapevine. Though I never heard about any of the Greek events when I was in college. The parties are hard to miss if you're walking down the street where they're located, though.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 05:57 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,335,946 times
Greek life tends to look over represented compared to its actual percentage of students members. They're social groups that make themselves known. They have their own social calendar, they hold publicized events and do philanthropic work, they wear letters and other clothing and accessories that show off their affiliation. It's noticeable because they want to be noticed.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:04 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Greek life tends to look over represented compared to its actual percentage of students members. They're social groups that make themselves known. They have their own social calendar, they hold publicized events and do philanthropic work, they wear letters and other clothing and accessories that show off their affiliation. It's noticeable because they want to be noticed.
True. They're a high-profile bunch, compared to other groups.

Old 10-29-2016, 07:39 PM

22,594 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderinggrad View Post
I thought that maybe I was too ugly, had too many social awkwardness issues, and all of that but after college it just came to me.

Is my situation odd or do a lot of people also face this issue?
Face what issue... blossoming after college?

People come into their own at different ages.
Yours was after college, no biggie.

Old 10-30-2016, 05:45 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,119,500 times
Each stage in your life will present itself with opportunities to socialize and make lots of friends. I would say that while we have a lot of friends from college that we still do things with, our largest group of friends actually has come from the families we have connected with while our children were in K-12 schools. Those families are still our core group of friends and have been for 20+ years.

As for Greek life--college is what you make of it and in my experience, the network formed at smaller schools tends to be much greater than those at huge universities. You are able to get to know more of your classmates on a more personal level than you are with those huge 300 student lecture hall classes at huge universities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities