Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2016, 07:03 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,219,806 times

Advertisements

Was curious about these from people who have studied psychology. Anyone here ever attend one or know someone who did? Or just a fellow person interested in education that could recommend some programs?

By NYC are I'm talking pretty broadly, so NJ, CT, etc. would all be good. Heck, even places pretty far removed like MA and PA I'd be interested in hearing about. Thanks in advance for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 05:44 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,525,265 times
I personally know of people who have attended the following NY metropolitan area programs and I have heard nothing but good things.

Adelphi University, Dernher School of Psychology, Garden City NY. This program is highly regarded.

Long Island University, Brooklyn NY and CW Post Campus in Brookville LI, NY. Have heard only good things.

City University of NY CCNY - also well thought of.

The following schools have PhD programs, but I personally do not know anyone who has attended any of them -

Hofstra University, Hempstead NY

Yeshiva University, NYC

St. John's University, Queens NY

Fordham University, Rose Hill, Bronx, NY.

Stony Brook University (part of the State University of NY) I did the last part of my undergrad work there, so I know that they are very behaviorist oriented - all of the undergrad classes that I took had that slant. It's not for me, but you may be oriented in that direction.

In New Jersey there is -

Rutgers University

Fairleigh Dickenson University

Rowan - and probably a few others I am missing.

Connecticut -

University of Bridgeport

University of Connecticut @ Storrs

Yale University

University of Hartford

In nearby Massachusetts, (not far from Hartford) is Clark University, in Worcester MA. Clark in the only university in the United States where Sigmund Freud spoke. It has a more client centered approach (humanistic) to psychology.

I did 3/4s of my undergraduate work there and I know of several graduates. While not in NYC, it is, is well respected and well funded. It would be my first choice.

Last edited by sheena12; 11-11-2016 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: made a correction.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:09 PM

11,646 posts, read 12,724,857 times
I know a few who have attended Hofstra, a couple who have gone to Yeshiva U and one who went to NYU, but that was a while ago. Some people liked Hofstra and some didn't. It depends on which teachers were on your committee and the specific program. You can get partial funding for Hofstra.

Old 11-13-2016, 02:20 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,510,787 times
Assuming you want programs accredited by APA, try this link to search: Search for APA-Accredited Programs

Old 11-13-2016, 06:41 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,219,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I personally know of people who have attended the following NY metropolitan area programs and I have heard nothing but good things.

Adelphi University, Dernher School of Psychology, Garden City NY. This program is highly regarded.

Long Island University, Brooklyn NY and CW Post Campus in Brookville LI, NY. Have heard only good things.

City University of NY CCNY - also well thought of.

The following schools have PhD programs, but I personally do not know anyone who has attended any of them -

Hofstra University, Hempstead NY

Yeshiva University, NYC

St. John's University, Queens NY

Fordham University, Rose Hill, Bronx, NY.

Stony Brook University (part of the State University of NY) I did the last part of my undergrad work there, so I know that they are very behaviorist oriented - all of the undergrad classes that I took had that slant. It's not for me, but you may be oriented in that direction.

In New Jersey there is -

Rutgers University

Fairleigh Dickenson University

Rowan - and probably a few others I am missing.

Connecticut -

University of Bridgeport

University of Connecticut @ Storrs

Yale University

University of Hartford

In nearby Massachusetts, (not far from Hartford) is Clark University, in Worcester MA. Clark in the only university in the United States where Sigmund Freud spoke. It has a more client centered approach (humanistic) to psychology.

I did 3/4s of my undergraduate work there and I know of several graduates. While not in NYC, it is, is well respected and well funded. It would be my first choice.

Thanks so much for this incredibly detailed post! Any chance you know about ones that an international applicant would have a better chance at?

Old 11-13-2016, 06:45 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,165,390 times
Columbia University's Teachers College has a strong clinical psych program.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:49 AM

24,130 posts, read 32,525,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
Thanks so much for this incredibly detailed post! Any chance you know about ones that an international applicant would have a better chance at?

I don't think any of them care if you are international, or not. American students and international students are treated equally in the admissions process. There are international students at all of the programs that I mentioned. I did my undergraduate work at both Clark University and Stony Brook University. I would say that fully half of the graduates students at Clark and Stony Brook were international students when I attended. It isn't different now. If anything, there may be more international students.

Since you are not a graduate of an American undergraduate program, you will be required to take the TOESL (Test Of English as a Second Language). Judging from your writing, I think you will have no problem with this test.

The was that US PhD programs work, may be different from your country. Candidates in reputable universities and colleges are paid a stipend. In return, students have responsibilities, mostly as Teaching Assistants (TAs) and you will be required to teach introductory undergraduate classes, and hold office hours for students who need extra help. This is why a fluency in English is so important.

I do not hold a PhD in psychology - or in anything else. But I am well acquainted with the process. I am an independent college adviser. I deal mostly with undergrads and returning students, but, I am familiar with academia, at least in the US, and I am originally from the NY metropolitan area.

If you want to send me a direct message, feel free to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities