Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Georgia vs Ohio State
University of Georgia 10 55.56%
The Ohio State University 8 44.44%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 07:47 PM

37 posts, read 38,866 times

Advertisements

Which of these two schools would you prefer to go to if accepted for a history major? The University of Georgia (UGA) or The Ohio State University (tOSU)? I was accepted to both via early action. I am OOS for both, but I hope to receive the Classic Scholars from Georgia or the National Buckeye from Ohio State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 05:46 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
I voted U Of Georgia. It's a big school with around 36,000 enrolled yet nearly half the size of Ohio State's 66,000 which is obviously massive and in my opinion just too big, especially in a liberal arts program where class sizes the first year or two would bound to be ridiculous/impersonal. Athens is a much smaller town versus Columbus but is among the best college towns in the country with plenty to do and is much easier to get around also. If you want to hit a bigger city on weekends or during time off Atlanta is just over an hour away.

Old 02-11-2017, 08:21 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,115,161 times
What do you plan to do with your history major?

Go to which ever school ends up costing the least.

What is your back-up plan if you don't get one of those rare scholarships?

Old 02-11-2017, 09:27 AM

12,832 posts, read 9,029,433 times
History? Whatever school cost the least and had an environment that I could live in for four years. So neither of those just due to shear size if the school.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:37 PM

Thanks! I was accepted to Alabama also.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:25 PM

In case you were wondering, I was accepted to Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, and Ohio State. Still waiting on Florida and Connecticut (my home school).

Old 02-13-2017, 11:43 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Have you checked out the honors programs at both universities? If eligible for a national scholarship, you probably would qualify for admission.

https://honors-scholars.osu.edu/honors/community

At Ohio State's Ohio Union, my memory is that there is a special study hall for honors students, and there probably are similar facilities at university libraries. This is something to check out as likely university common areas can become very crowded at large universities.

http://ohiounion.osu.edu/

Old 02-13-2017, 01:42 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
Aside from costs, a choice could also depend on what area of history you want to study. I'd guess that each school would offer opportunities in distinct areas that some of the others would not and I'd look into that.

I'd also consider what you want to do with your history degree. Go to graduate school? Law school? Work for a non-profit or go into the corporate world? Government service? Work in politics? One or more of these schools may be a better launching pad for your career, depending on what you ultimately want to do.

And lastly, since so many of these schools are in the South and you're from Connecticut be sure you're ready for the culture shock, especially if you haven't spent time in the South. Georgia and Alabama and South Carolina and Florida are not like New England or the Midwest, and the difference can be far more than theoretical. Day to day life can feel very very different on a campus in Dixie. Think hard about that if you haven't spent time there.

Good luck.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:56 PM

50,334 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Aside from costs, a choice could also depend on what area of history you want to study. I'd guess that each school would offer opportunities in distinct areas that some of the others would not and I'd look into that.

I'd also consider what you want to do with your history degree. Go to graduate school? Law school? Work for a non-profit or go into the corporate world? Government service? Work in politics? One or more of these schools may be a better launching pad for your career, depending on what you ultimately want to do.

And lastly, since so many of these schools are in the South and you're from Connecticut be sure you're ready for the culture shock, especially if you haven't spent time in the South. Georgia and Alabama and South Carolina and Florida are not like New England or the Midwest, and the difference can be far more than theoretical. Day to day life can feel very very different on a campus in Dixie. Think hard about that if you haven't spent time there.

Good luck.
This is true OP. I moved from Ohio to GA and it is like moving to Mars, but not in a bad way. If you want the familiar, I'd choose OSU, since both my daughter and grandson went there and loved it.
If you want some new experiences to broaden your perspective in life, then pick a southern college. Of course, the weather is also better down here.

Old 02-13-2017, 03:21 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,838 times
I'm a Buckeye and even though I now live in L.A., my son went back to OSU for college too. With a large percentage of students being from Ohio, they are anxious to attract out of state students. My son got the Buckeye Scholarship which paid half of the OOS tuition cost. It's a great school with a great history.

GO BUCKS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities