Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 06:53 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times

Advertisements

you only live once, so why not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 06:55 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
You have a pulse? Then you're fine. Go to school. You're never to old to learn something new.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:31 PM

853 posts, read 648,447 times
I am really motivated to pursue it but I am concerned about what people will think about me, especially my family. I don't want to study a Masters Degree only to improve my career prospects, I don't feel really satisfied only with a Bachelors Degree.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:47 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
31 now, 32 in may.
Maybe 10 years ago or more, there was a 50-something lady, who I believe was a nurse, and she decided to get her MD from USC medical school in LA and graduated in her late 50's. She went into family medicine so she "only" had a 3-year residence after graduating, but if someone in their late 50's can get their medical degree and start their career in medicine when most doctors are looking to retire after 25-30 years in practice, I think it's never too old to go back to school!

Old 02-08-2017, 07:55 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
You might not want to be around teenagers though.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:01 PM

375 posts, read 297,004 times
Quote:
Hi,

Currently I am 31, 3 months later, 32. I have the equivalent in the US as Associates in Chemical Engineering (in my home country is Diploma Engineer in Chemical Engineering, instead of 2 years is a 3 year degree) and also Bachelors in Chemical Engineering (this one is universal, 4 year degree). Once I finished my Bachelors I had a job in a contractor, then I went overseas and had a fixed-term engineering job and now I am unemployed. I will come back to my home country, Spain, from Mexico by 28 february, I have enough time to register in the official Master Degree in Chemical Engineering that takes about 1 year and a half. This Master cost about 4000 € (4300 $). I will be looking/applying for jobs but since I am jobless I thought this is the best chance to get the Masters Degree before is too late. The Master Degree includes attractive internships in top spanish companies (some of them engineering contractors) and I have enough money to pay it without any need to fall in debt, thanks to my big efforts saving money. Do you think I am in a good age to continue studying?

You my friend are the perfect age to continue with an advanced degree. You're not too old by a long shot. Im eight years older than you and didn't get my Masters till I was 35. I originally attended undergrad school about 15 years ago on an athletic scholarship but barely got my BA then. Took me an extra semester after my ride was up! When you're older you're often more focused and know the tricks and techniques. Go for it, amigo!

Old 02-08-2017, 11:17 PM

745 posts, read 480,283 times
Quote:
I am really motivated to pursue it but I am concerned about what people will think about me, especially my family. I don't want to study a Masters Degree only to improve my career prospects, I don't feel really satisfied only with a Bachelors Degree.
I went to college for the first time at 34 years old as I was not prepared to when I got out of High School. I simply knew that I needed more education so I went for it, and I am glad I did.

As far as what people may think of you, that really should not matter. If you have the right intentions, the people that care about you will support you.

If you are concerned what people may think of you, I would simply consider that unless they tell you directly what they think, then you may think they have an opinion they actually don't. If you are concerned what a family member is thinking, talk to them about it.

Good luck.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:54 AM

130 posts, read 105,639 times
Quote:
Hi,

Currently I am 31, 3 months later, 32. I have the equivalent in the US as Associates in Chemical Engineering (in my home country is Diploma Engineer in Chemical Engineering, instead of 2 years is a 3 year degree) and also Bachelors in Chemical Engineering (this one is universal, 4 year degree). Once I finished my Bachelors I had a job in a contractor, then I went overseas and had a fixed-term engineering job and now I am unemployed. I will come back to my home country, Spain, from Mexico by 28 february, I have enough time to register in the official Master Degree in Chemical Engineering that takes about 1 year and a half. This Master cost about 4000 € (4300 $). I will be looking/applying for jobs but since I am jobless I thought this is the best chance to get the Masters Degree before is too late. The Master Degree includes attractive internships in top spanish companies (some of them engineering contractors) and I have enough money to pay it without any need to fall in debt, thanks to my big efforts saving money. Do you think I am in a good age to continue studying?
upon clicking this post, i thought you were maybe 45+ going to get your Bachelors degree. But you 31 who has already had a degree in chem E, and you are asking if you are too old?? are you trolling or drunk? 31 is a common age for a masters candidate - many people work for a few years before getting their masters. Heck, the earliest age you could graduate from your masters without skipping grades or accelerate track is 24.

i'm 24 years old and i think you are crazy to think that at 31 you are too old for a masters degree, especially in something as useful as chem e. (31 might too old to get a masters in basket weaving - by that age you should know better!)

Old 02-09-2017, 01:59 AM

130 posts, read 105,639 times
This post made me so surprised, as i thought the average masters student was in the late twenties and early thirties. Could i have been wrong? I quickly consulted my confidant, Google search bar for answers on such a perplexing question. Ahh! I was correct. the average age is 33. here you are go, OP:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...asters+student

Old 02-09-2017, 06:05 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,450,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAborg View Post
This post made me so surprised, as i thought the average masters student was in the late twenties and early thirties. Could i have been wrong? I quickly consulted my confidant, Google search bar for answers on such a perplexing question. Ahh! I was correct. the average age is 33. here you are go, OP:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...asters+student
Who wants to be "average"?
(Not me!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities