Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 04:38 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,291,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio View Post
Having earned BSEE at UT-Austin, MSEE at USF, and now doing MBA at Rice after working in Silicon Valley for a few years I can very much simpatize with you. It's a shame and ridicolous that random commuter schools like UC-Irvine and UC-Davis which have zero brand nationally even compared to USF (just ask in any state other than CA, which school is best known)
Mr Pony Tail,

UC Davis has a long tradition of fame in health sciences, economics, and oenology. USF, sorry, has zero rep on the West Coast and globally. So the branding argument is rather weak. UC Irvine is up and coming, so give it some time. However, it has a number of excellent scholars in microbiology.

As for UT Austin. It is the flagship of the UT system and should be compared with UCB and UCLA.

Quote:
The reason is that on the coasts (NorthEast and CA) there is a hate/superiority complex against the south. Those are the people doing the rankings. Otherwise Rice would be for instance ranked higher than most Ivys except Harvard and Yale at most, while you find it ranked behind Brown.
I am a big fan of Rice. It has a great rep. As for other Southern schools, I do not think it is that people feel those schools do not have excellent students, but perhaps that there is a wider distribution of students. UCB, UCLA, UCSD are very difficult to get into. The same cannot be said of many Southern schools. As for the exclusives, Duke and to a lesser degree, Emory, they still lag the best of the Northeast and West in terms of elite academics. They have still have a generation or two to go.

S.
P.S. Big fan of Rice engineering. I have a very good friend from GaTech--a real genius. Duke--the closest link to the Northeast. Emory--sorry, I have worked with a few--a couple steps behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 05:55 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,350,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
Mr Pony Tail,

UC Davis has a long tradition of fame in health sciences, economics, and oenology. USF, sorry, has zero rep on the West Coast and globally. So the branding argument is rather weak. UC Irvine is up and coming, so give it some time. However, it has a number of excellent scholars in microbiology.

As for UT Austin. It is the flagship of the UT system and should be compared with UCB and UCLA.

I am a big fan of Rice. It has a great rep. As for other Southern schools, I do not think it is that people feel those schools do not have excellent students, but perhaps that there is a wider distribution of students. UCB, UCLA, UCSD are very difficult to get into. The same cannot be said of many Southern schools. As for the exclusives, Duke and to a lesser degree, Emory, they still lag the best of the Northeast and West in terms of elite academics. They have still have a generation or two to go.

S.
P.S. Big fan of Rice engineering. I have a very good friend from GaTech--a real genius. Duke--the closest link to the Northeast. Emory--sorry, I have worked with a few--a couple steps behind.
I think UT is kind of mediocre. It's not a personal thing, but there are so many that are better.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
I think UT is kind of mediocre. It's not a personal thing, but there are so many that are better.
I cannot say, but from the POV of debate, supporters of UT should benchmark it versus the flagship unis of other states

The question should be: how does UT compare to UCB, UCLA, U Washington, Ohio State, Michigan, North Carolina, Wisconsin, Virginia, and North Carolina?

The debate should not be UT versusthe #4 or #5 campuses of other states.

S.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:41 AM

471 posts, read 851,621 times
Not among public schools

Old 01-11-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
Mr Pony Tail,

Nobody knows UC-Davis outside of CA...Sorry to disappoint you.

Athletics is a main driver in terms of brand recognition.

USF has much more brand since it's part of a BCS conference in football. Acaemics wise, it's a top research university (as per Carnegie Foundation) with a top medical school and cancer research center.

UC-Irvine is nothing more than a communty college on steroids a la UT-Arlington.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,202 times
Quote:

USF has much more brand since it's part of a BCS conference in football. Acaemics wise, it's a top research university (as per Carnegie Foundation) with a top medical school and cancer research center.

UC-Irvine is nothing more than a communty college on steroids a la UT-Arlington.
Perhaps people don't know about UC Davis, but I doubt most people care about the academic quality of USF. You say it's a "top research university", but so are Davis and Irvine (also according to the Carnegie Foundation). In fact, I would say I would way rather go to the UC schools.

How is UC Irvine a "community college?" What kind of community college rejects more than half of its applicants?

Old 01-11-2010, 09:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Matters not on the school. Matters on what you do after you enter the work force. I would prefer that my Doctor came from a top school, but that doesn't mean a Doctor from some other school can't get the job done.

A lawyer from Harvard gets the call to be a part of the big firm, but one from a state school could bring a firm more money. After graduating it really depends on the graduate to perform.
Medical schools are not ranked the same way as undergrad schools, or even graduate schools, AFIK. (I am a health professional.) There are some degrees that make people say "wow", such as a degree from Harvard, but getting into any medical school is quite an accomplishment, b/c many are called but few are chosen, so to speak.

Quote:
I completely agree.

I attended UT-Austin for undergrad, USF for my MS, and now Rice for MBA. Previously worked in Silicon Valley and had colleagues from UC-Davis, and the other UC random commuter schools. There is no way those UC schools should be ranked higher than UT-Austin and so much higher than USF.
Well, frankly, a school that has an average ACT score of 27 looks a lot better to me than one with an average of 22.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I feel you, Stina. I'm a senior at Brandeis and while my program is extremely respected (sustainable development) and the school is very highly ranked, it isn't well known outside of the Northeast and the Jewish community. I had planned on working in Boston but my boyfriend lives in Atlanta so I'm looking to move back after graduation but am faced with an army of UGA graduates who have that name recognition.

I often thrown in "I turned down NYU to go here" into conversations where people are unfamiliar, but that makes me sound pretentious. I even had teachers and guidance counselors tell me "Oh, I would have thought you could have gotten into UGA or Tech" when my school is actually ranked higher than both.

The lack of knowledge can be frustrating but I know I had a better and more challenging academic experience than I would have at UGA so I don't dwell.
So you say, "I was concentrating on the NE" or some such. I didn't know I'd be moving to GA" (assuming this is true). It worked for me when I moved from PA to IL and then on to CO.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Well, frankly, a school that has an average ACT score of 27 looks a lot better to me than one with an average of 22.
Have you ever thought that USF has more than twice as many students as those random UC commuter schools. That would explain how their ACT average is higher. If USF cut down admission by 50%, I am sure they could be very picky and stats would go way up.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:48 AM

917 posts, read 2,949,736 times
You do know that outside of the south, Florida schools just don't have a big rep, right? Doesn't mean they aren't good schools, but they just don't have the name the UC system does. Obviously the flagship schools, Cal & UCLA have bigger reputations, but the UC system still recognized as a top public school system everywhere. And Davis is at 31,000 and USF at 34,000- that's not exactly half the size.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:

Yes, among 19 year old drunks.

Quote:
This is the word according to Florida. USF has absolutely zero rep internationally, whereas UC Davis can claim attachment to Napa Valley. Just ask Roberto Baggio himself! I am sure he is a drinker of fine wine.

Quote:
It would not surprise me that UCI has not had much reach with its rep, but it will. Ask people in biotech.

But again, if you ask someone drinking a 40 out of a paperbag, then I am sure you are right: Florida over California.

S.
P.S. I did not go to UCD or UCI, but their rep in biotech and health sciences is extremely solid, whereas all I know USF for is for their football coach beating up on a player.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities