Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 07:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio View Post
Have you ever thought that USF has more than twice as many students as those random UC commuter schools. That would explain how their ACT average is higher. If USF cut down admission by 50%, I am sure they could be very picky and stats would go way up.
UC Irvine and USF are about the same size for full-time students. USF also has a huge contingency of part-time students, many of whom will probably never get a degree.

The University of Illinois has 28,000 full time students and an ACT 25/75 of 25-31, or an "average" of 28. It's not hard to find qualified students if you're looking for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 08:56 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,350,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinaTado View Post
You do know that outside of the south, Florida schools just don't have a big rep, right? Doesn't mean they aren't good schools, but they just don't have the name the UC system does. Obviously the flagship schools, Cal & UCLA have bigger reputations, but the UC system still recognized as a top public school system everywhere. And Davis is at 31,000 and USF at 34,000- that's not exactly half the size.
That is so far from the truth.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:26 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,350,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
I cannot say, but from the POV of debate, supporters of UT should benchmark it versus the flagship unis of other states

The question should be: how does UT compare to UCB, UCLA, U Washington, Ohio State, Michigan, North Carolina, Wisconsin, Virginia, and North Carolina?

The debate should not be UT versusthe #4 or #5 campuses of other states.

S.
I think if we're judging the universities overall, all of those universities except for Ohio State are better than UT. I find the two to both be kind of average.

Because Texas is perennially competing for national championships, it is very popular, and some people tend to mistake that for prestige. Watch, Alabama won the BCS, their applications are going to go up, it happened to USC, Florida, and LSU. I think some of those other schools are more of a draw than Tuscaloosa (it's boring to be honest), but having great sports is something that a lot of kids want when they look for a college.

And that's what separates the public universities, their respective student body's. Michigan, although highly associated with athletics, is still very much an academic college. I mean that in terms of undergraduate education. Even thought it's a huge institution, the college has a clear focus. Same thing for Virginia, and to a lesser extent Berkeley.

When you talk about California, even there are 10 campuses, it describes itself, and in a manner of speaking, functions, as one. Is it fair to compare Texas to that, no, but regardless, most of those campuses are better than UT.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:41 PM

124 posts, read 276,965 times
The thing about a college education in ANY field is that what it really offers is 3 things:
CONTENT
CREDENTIAL
CONTACTS

The Content, or subject matter you learn may be the very same whether you go to Harvard or Podunk U or even a lot of community colleges.

The Credential - the certificate or degree - is going to be associated by some to be of greater or lesser value based on the tier of the school you attended.

However, IMHO, the real key factor is the CONTACTS - the people you meet, and even the people you DON'T meet initially but who may make themselves available to network with you down the road because you are both alumni from the same school - that is where you see the real difference.

Exclusive upper end schools have a far reach of opening doors because of BOTH the respect they have in general (from people who went there and people who are just familiar with them by reputation) AND because of the networking opportunities of people who are affiliated with others in positions of wealth and power.

The MANIFEST function, or stated purpose of colleges is to prepare students for future professions.
One of the stronges LATENT functions, or unstated purposes, is to group people of similar social background for marriage match ups and business associations...keeping the select priviledged upper class folk in high status circles and the mass middle class folk in a different strata while the rest get to go to community college or trade school. Granted, there are exceptions, but the overall system still reinforces itself.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:00 AM

471 posts, read 851,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinaTado View Post
You do know that outside of the south, Florida schools just don't have a big rep, right? Doesn't mean they aren't good schools, but they just don't have the name the UC system does. Obviously the flagship schools, Cal & UCLA have bigger reputations, but the UC system still recognized as a top public school system everywhere. And Davis is at 31,000 and USF at 34,000- that's not exactly half the size.
Actually you are wrong. USF has 46,000+.

And within the state of Florida, UCF and UF are even bigger.

List of largest United States university campuses by enrollment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-18-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
I think if we're judging the universities overall, all of those universities except for Ohio State are better than UT. I find the two to both be kind of average.

Because Texas is perennially competing for national championships, it is very popular, and some people tend to mistake that for prestige. Watch, Alabama won the BCS, their applications are going to go up, it happened to USC, Florida, and LSU. I think some of those other schools are more of a draw than Tuscaloosa (it's boring to be honest), but having great sports is something that a lot of kids want when they look for a college.

And that's what separates the public universities, their respective student body's. Michigan, although highly associated with athletics, is still very much an academic college. I mean that in terms of undergraduate education. Even thought it's a huge institution, the college has a clear focus. Same thing for Virginia, and to a lesser extent Berkeley.

When you talk about California, even there are 10 campuses, it describes itself, and in a manner of speaking, functions, as one. Is it fair to compare Texas to that, no, but regardless, most of those campuses are better than UT.
LOL. UT has a top 10 engr program and top 5 undergrad business program. It's clearly second only to Berkeley as far as public schools even in rankings.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:30 AM

15,867 posts, read 21,460,959 times
Quote:
Coming from somebody living in Idaho. The number one redneck state in the country and one of the most uneducated. ROTFL
I grew up in Georgia and now live in Boston- USF has ZERO reputation in either place. You would think at least Georgia being in the South would have some respect for USF. It doesn't.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Actually you are wrong. USF has 46,000+.

And within the state of Florida, UCF and UF are even bigger.

List of largest United States university campuses by enrollment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
According to wikipedia, the total enrollment of USF is

Quote:
46,174 as of the fall 2008 semester.[6]
I would interpret "total" to mean the satellite campuses as well.

University of South Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-19-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
According to wikipedia, the total enrollment of USF is

I would interpret "total" to mean the satellite campuses as well.

University of South Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Same for most other schools listed. Regadless, satellite campuses don't account for more than 4,000 students total at most, which puts USF main campus at about 42,000, about 30% larger than UC-Davis and twice as big as UC-Irvine.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Same for most other schools listed. Regadless, satellite campuses don't account for more than 4,000 students total at most, which puts USF main campus at about 42,000, about 30% larger than UC-Davis and twice as big as UC-Irvine.
Well, it's bigger than Harvard, too. I'm not sure I get your point. BTW, according to USNews, it had 21,604 full time students, and 10,523 part time in 2005. So 1/3 of their students are part-time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities