Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 09:33 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,979,313 times

Advertisements

Just so everybody knows, and since we're giving merit to wikipedia here, the tier system is a bunch of arbitrary, bogus b.s. that the U.S. News Colleges and Rankings so and so, or whatever its called concocted to judge schools, and then marketed to as many suckers as they could, so that anyone needing a label to validate their university, would have one.. There is nothing "official" about the tier system, and its rankings are mostly based on endowments. Technically tiers are only a marketing ploy that is not actually recognized as an accurate gauge of university standings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 09:43 PM

471 posts, read 851,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, it's bigger than Harvard, too. I'm not sure I get your point. BTW, according to USNews, it had 21,604 full time students, and 10,523 part time in 2005. So 1/3 of their students are part-time.
Wo wo, when did Harvard come into the mix?

We were comparing UC secondary campuses to USF and UCF.

And when does full-time or part-time students ratio matter when we are talking about selectivity? If anything, it would indicate that full-time students have probably higher stats on average.

Regardless, that was in 2005. A lot, I mean a LOT, has changed since then. Admission in one BCS conference (which UC-Davis, Irivine and Santa Barbara can only drea of). All freshmen at USF are now required to live on campus fo instance. And admission stats have gone way up since then.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:15 PM

784 posts, read 2,730,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Just so everybody knows, and since we're giving merit to wikipedia here, the tier system is a bunch of arbitrary, bogus b.s. that the U.S. News Colleges and Rankings so and so, or whatever its called concocted to judge schools, and then marketed to as many suckers as they could, so that anyone needing a label to validate their university, would have one.. There is nothing "official" about the tier system, and its rankings are mostly based on endowments. Technically tiers are only a marketing ploy that is not actually recognized as an accurate gauge of university standings.
Too bad technically the recruiters base their hiring decisions on the rankings.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:18 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,979,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post

true...and too bad technically recruiters base even more of their decision on who's an alumni of their own respective institution. sad indeed.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:26 AM

Quote:
I know people who work for the top companies in the world and went to so called tier-3 schools. Explain that.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:35 AM

917 posts, read 2,949,736 times
I know a lot of people who went to top tier institutions who work for top companies. What's your point?

Good students don't always go to the best school they get into- maybe they get a scholarship at their local state school that makes it seem like a better option. They will still work hard in school and do well, regardless of what institution they attend. It doesn't mean they'll have the best resources available or be challenged in the way they would at a higher tier school, but the cream will always rise to the top.

I'd love to see some stats for the PERCENTAGE of successful students from top tiers versus third tiers. If a school is big enough, you're bound to have at least a few good graduates. My school had 98% of their pre-med bound students get into one of their top three choices for med school- no tier 3 school can boast that.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio View Post
Wo wo, when did Harvard come into the mix?

We were comparing UC secondary campuses to USF and UCF.

And when does full-time or part-time students ratio matter when we are talking about selectivity? If anything, it would indicate that full-time students have probably higher stats on average.

Regardless, that was in 2005. A lot, I mean a LOT, has changed since then. Admission in one BCS conference (which UC-Davis, Irivine and Santa Barbara can only drea of). All freshmen at USF are now required to live on campus fo instance. And admission stats have gone way up since then.
I brouoght Harvard in to make a point that the size of the school is pointless in this discussion.

I used 2005 b/c that's the US News catalog that I have. I can't get into all the 2009 data on the web, but here's what I could find.

University of South Florida - Best Colleges - Education - US News and World Report

Total number of undergraduates: 35,918, not >40,000. BCS is irrelevant when talking about education.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:41 PM

784 posts, read 2,730,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio View Post
I know people who work for the top companies in the world and went to so called tier-3 schools. Explain that.
I know many janitors at Goldman Sachs as well.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I brouoght Harvard in to make a point that the size of the school is pointless in this discussion.

I used 2005 b/c that's the US News catalog that I have. I can't get into all the 2009 data on the web, but here's what I could find.

University of South Florida - Best Colleges - Education - US News and World Report

Total number of undergraduates: 35,918, not >40,000. BCS is irrelevant when talking about education.
My point indeed, at UC-Davis undergrads are 24,000 and at UC-Irvine 22,000. So the better admission stats obviously since they can be more selective.

Also BCS actually does matter. You do not get into BCS without being a major university.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:07 AM

Quote:
I know many janitors at Goldman Sachs as well.
Did you know them from back in college?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities