Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2017, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 325 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm hoping to hear from someone who has gone down this route before but when it comes to MBA concentrations, is Finance a smart choice? My undergrad is in management which helped me earn my current position as an assistant branch manager of a bank. My company does tuition reimbursement and I look forward to moving up in the company (not necessarily to a branch manager but to corporate) when my time comes but for the time being, I want to look at beginning a MBA program.

Until I sat down and began to research various programs, I didnt know so many different concentrations existed. Originally, I had my mind set of doing either a general MBA or one with a management concentration but one that I took a second look at was finance. From a career standpoint, I feel like management is something that comes with time and a degree itself isnt going to jump anyone into a management position (I started out as a part time teller, moved to full time, then to lead teller and now assistant branch manager.) Finance on the other hand is a skill that I could actually use not only in a management role but a number of roles that I could forsee broadening my horizon. Looking at those around me, non of my coworkers hold mba's (nor have a desire to obtain one) so Im not sure if this is a smart route to take.

I will say that I understand that its not all about money but in researching concentrations, the one that consistently paid the highest was strategy. Does anyone on here have a MBA in strategy? If so, what career path did you take with it? It seems like one that would be nice to study for someone that is already a senior level executive but Im wondering what would it do for someone like myself who isnt at that level yet. Plus Im thinking if I grasp a better understanding of finance as well as expand my knowledge in the field that I am in, that would be just as good as studying "strategy" but someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Again I am 100% sure that I will be pursuing a MBA in the very near future but I would like some feedback as to if Finance is a wise choice? On the other hand, seeing as I am looking to transition into a corporate role, would a degree in strategy be more beneficial to me in that aspect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities