Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 08:25 AM

944 posts, read 1,211,143 times

Advertisements

Administrative staff has increased because of an arms race engendered by lower state support for public colleges which creates a knock on effect for private schools like this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 01:15 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
It's hard to know where to begin with this topic.

I am a liberal arts major and believe in a broad education. I think there is value in learning things outside of a technical major.

But still, there must be some relationship between what an education costs, and what it delivers in terms of earning potential. If people have to take out $100,000 in loans only to find that their degree qualifies them only to wait tables (obviously an extreme case), then it's not worth it.

I don't think most colleges today are delivering value for what they charge. Oberlin certainly isn't at those prices. The whole college model is fundamentally corrupt because government put too much money into it, and schools raised tuition through the roof because they could. College tuition has increased at 3x the rate of inflation for the past 30 years, with no increase in the quality of education. What has increased is administrators, many of whom create problems and add nothing to the educational experience, and expensive physical facilities that have made college a luxury experience for many students.

And college today does not teach students to think critically. Mostly it's a form of indoctrination, with only one set of opinions allowed and anybody who thinks differently and dares to say it being viciously ostracized. You can't learn to think critically from a safe space.

I hope colleges like Oberlin have a lot of problems in the years ahead. Their tuition is ridiculous and much of it goes to pay for administrators pushing dubious political agendas.

Old 09-24-2017, 02:54 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post

I am a liberal arts major and believe in a broad education. I think there is value in learning things outside of a technical major.

But still, there must be some relationship between what an education costs, and what it delivers in terms of earning potential. If people have to take out $100,000 in loans only to find that their degree qualifies them only to wait tables (obviously an extreme case), then it's not worth it.

I don't think most colleges today are delivering value for what they charge. Oberlin certainly isn't at those prices. The whole college model is fundamentally corrupt because government put too much money into it, and schools raised tuition through the roof because they could. College tuition has increased at 3x the rate of inflation for the past 30 years, with no increase in the quality of education. What has increased is administrators, many of whom create problems and add nothing to the educational experience, and expensive physical facilities that have made college a luxury experience for many students.

And college today does not teach students to think critically. Mostly it's a form of indoctrination, with only one set of opinions allowed and anybody who thinks differently and dares to say it being viciously ostracized. You can't learn to think critically from a safe space.

I hope colleges like Oberlin have a lot of problems in the years ahead. Their tuition is ridiculous and much of it goes to pay for administrators pushing dubious political agendas.
That's the narrative being pushed by people on the right of the political spectrum.

Frankly, I don't buy a word of it. There's still a great education to be had in college.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:16 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
Quote:

Most students at Oberlin do not pay anywhere near full tuition. As someone else mentioned, endowments can be used for grants and scholarships, but there may be stipulations that prevent endowments from being used for operating costs.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:23 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
Administrative staff has increased because of an arms race engendered by lower state support for public colleges which creates a knock on effect for private schools like this one.
Can you please explain? Usually you spend more on something when there is an increase in support, not a decrease.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Can you please explain? Usually you spend more on something when there is an increase in support, not a decrease.
The person is referring to state funding. When state funding is decreased, schools have to find money elsewhere. That elsewhere is usually tuition and fees.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:30 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quote:

dazzleman, it is far more than "it's not worth it." That is an indication that the liberal arts institution has failed in its core mission.

The core mission of the liberal arts college is to prepare its students to be better citizens. There was a time 150 years ago where men pursued a liberal arts education (and let's be honest - most all were men) and upon graduation perhaps they pursued a career in government -- say in the State Department. They were learned people (where "learned" is pronounced using two syllables -- "lear-ned") who contributed to society. Or perhaps, graduating from an agricultural & mechanical university they served the country in the "useful arts" (what we now call engineering).

In the modern era, becoming a "lear-ned" person is not enough to be a better citizen. The Liberal Arts college must also prepare its students to contribute to society as measured by their future added-value, and the best way we have to measure that is through their paycheck. Anyone who cannot contribute to society to support themselves cannot be a good citizen.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:41 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I think one way to make college more affordable is to drop the elective requirements. If you want to be an accountant, to get your degree all you need to take is classes that lead to you being an accountant.

Since that is not how things operate currently, what difference does it matter what the electives are? Basket weaving, Latin or Introductory to Real Estate, they are all just fillers.
That is basically the British system. It works just fine - as graduates of Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, Imperial and LSE can demonstrate. Anyone who thinks those graduates aren't as "well-rounded" as US liberal arts students clearly hasn't met many of them.

Drop electives and make the degree 3 years. Private college costs have reached a ridiculous level. Those who want to take electives and pay for a 4th year -that should be up to them.

Old 09-27-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
That is basically the British system. It works just fine - as graduates of Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, Imperial and LSE can demonstrate. Anyone who thinks those graduates aren't as "well-rounded" as US liberal arts students clearly hasn't met many of them.

Drop electives and make the degree 3 years. Private college costs have reached a ridiculous level. Those who want to take electives and pay for a 4th year -that should be up to them.
That's because the British have a different secondary system.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:51 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Anyone who cannot contribute to society to support themselves cannot be a good citizen.
There are many good citizens which don't have to 'support themselves' due to someone else in their family(usually spouse) supporting them or due to having family inheritance. Your statement exempts such people from being good citizens simply because they don't work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities