Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 10:21 AM

420 posts, read 470,665 times

Advertisements

I've inquired with a program director if the degree required "boarding exams" the way nurses, lawyers, etc. have to go through to get licensed to practice their trade. She said no. Does this mean that degree that required no boarding exam is useless or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 10:28 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,521,352 times
Useless to whom? There are plenty of professions that don't require a license.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:44 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,304,345 times
You need to provide some context for anyone to meaningfully answer your question. The vast majority of degrees don't require a "boarding exam." Exactly what degree program are you asking about?

Old 08-05-2017, 11:24 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,965,066 times
What's a boarding exam?

Old 08-05-2017, 12:01 PM

23,338 posts, read 18,916,990 times
Of course not! I am not familiar with boarding exams but would wonder if they are an attempt to ensure that new students (entering into a degree program that results in some standardized certification necessary to practice) start off with baseline education/training/coursework.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:08 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,552,018 times
boarding exams - > certification/license at the end

OP needs to look up what a "terminal" degree is vs nonterminal

terminal to me means "practicing" degree, IE they can practice what they learned upon graduation

you don't need a terminal degree but you need to figure out how to put to practice what you learned on your own for it to be beneficial, learning for the sake of learning is not a paid job

http://www.collegerank.net/what-is-a-terminal-degree/
Quote:
People choose terminal degree programs for a variety of reasons. One of them is the fact that such a degree can lead more directly to a job. Instead of taking a lower-level position while you are working on another degree, you can immediately go to that higher job, which might earn you more money. A terminal degree can also help you to save money since you probably won't dabble in as many different college programs.

Old 08-05-2017, 03:26 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,484,731 times
Most occupations don't require a license or certification. Some occupations that do require a license aren't all that great i.e. cosmetology.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:15 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,236,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
boarding exams - > certification/license at the end

OP needs to look up what a "terminal" degree is vs nonterminal

terminal to me means "practicing" degree, IE they can practice what they learned upon graduation

you don't need a terminal degree but you need to figure out how to put to practice what you learned on your own for it to be beneficial, learning for the sake of learning is not a paid job

What is a Terminal Degree? - College Rank
I don't think that really addresses the question.

There are plenty of terminal degrees that still require some sort of boarding, certification or licensure

MD, DMD, DPT, JD to name a few

Old 08-06-2017, 11:30 AM

102,233 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethnicappalachian View Post
I've inquired with a program director if the degree required "boarding exams" the way nurses, lawyers, etc. have to go through to get licensed to practice their trade. She said no. Does this mean that degree that required no boarding exam is useless or not?
What are you talking about? Why would it be useless? Tech degrees don't have licensing exams. They are far from useless.

Old 08-06-2017, 02:04 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,552,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
I don't think that really addresses the question.

There are plenty of terminal degrees that still require some sort of boarding, certification or licensure

MD, DMD, DPT, JD to name a few
no, i mentioned the certification/license because someone didn't know what boarding exam meant

not all degrees need them and are still terminal

Like programming, if they want to program they can do it without going to college but getting a BS in it would help their foundation, but does getting a masters help them be a better programmer if they couldn't do it at the BS level?

on the other hand, the STEM degrees like chemistry/biology, are not generally terminal unless they climb the ladder some more. With just a BS in chem or bio, they start out as grunts where they have to build up experience to move up

LPN->RN->BSN->masters->phd, etc there is a ladder to follow so it isn't terminal until they get to the end if that is their goal. They can stop along the way if they wish but moving up would be hard without the next step in education

MD/JD/PharmD/anythingD are phd, which are terminal, there isn't much beyond that in formal education
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities