Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2017, 07:50 PM

146 posts, read 84,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
So what that it will affect her greatly? It's not the only question she got wrong, and she got it unequivocally wrong. She picked out a random word that is not even medical terminology and put that as her answer. It's not the teacher's fault that a single test question might affect her scholarship. As much as it would suck, it's not just this single question that is the problem, it's the other questions she got wrong too, on this and other tests.

As I said before, the answer is not to try to badger the school into giving her a grade she did not earn, it's to put in even more work to do better the next time and raise her grade enough so that it's not right on the borderline of potentially losing her scholarship.
It doesn't matter, if i end up with 91.5% and one of my classmates with 92% and a scholarship, would you say, it was my fault because I didn't have as much knowledge as she did, and she deserved these 92% but I didn't.
And whoever said, I chose gibberish answer, all of them were equally bad (for people who know the material).

Old 12-06-2017, 07:57 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,871,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephineF View Post
It doesn't matter, if i end up with 91.5% and one of my classmates with 92% and a scholarship, would you say, it was my fault because I didn't have as much knowledge as she did, and she deserved these 92% but I didn't.
Is the scholarship limited to one recipient, or does everyone with a 4.0 average receive it?

Quote:
And whoever said, I chose gibberish answer, all of them were equally bad (for people who know the material).
I was on the border at the beginning, but if you actually believe this, as opposed to are just doubling-down for some reason, then you really don't understand, and the professor was right to deny you the point. Someone gravely ill with ischemia could possibly present with paresthesia. Not everything is a textbook case. But the same cannot be said of the answer you chose, "pelting."

Old 12-06-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Is the scholarship limited to one recipient, or does everyone with a 4.0 average receive it?

I was on the border at the beginning, but if you actually believe this, as opposed to are just doubling-down for some reason, then you really don't understand, and the professor was right to deny you the point. Someone gravely ill with ischemia could possibly present with paresthesia. Not everything is a textbook case. But the same cannot be said of the answer you chose, "pelting."

It is whoever has 4.0. That textbook, she recommended and demanded. She never elaborated on 5Ps in class. she just listed them. The book said paresthesia early, pulselessness, paralysis-late.

Am i supposed to do a research on it, in order to know it COULD sometimes be, maybe, probably.

She also said that she doesn't believe that religious beliefs are contraindication for vaccination, but the books says so. She made sure to take points off for that as well (and it is ok)

Old 12-06-2017, 08:17 PM

37,119 posts, read 41,316,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Yes, cornbread is not gluten free. It has wheat flour.
I make it using only cornmeal, no wheat flour. It is gluten free.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Thank you, that is what I thought. It is arguable if it is gluten free or not, but it got dropped because it was a professor's son who brought it up. He got it wrong, it got dropped (I thought corn was gluten-free) and least considering other options offered.

But for my question, the books says one thing, we are supposed "to read the book" as the prof emphasizes, but she gets to decide what info is accurate (and all of that when grading the test)

Old 12-06-2017, 08:30 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,235,015 times
Quote:
It is whoever has 4.0. That textbook, she recommended and demanded. She never elaborated on 5Ps in class. she just listed them. The book said paresthesia early, pulselessness, paralysis-late.

Am i supposed to do a research on it, in order to know it COULD sometimes be, maybe, probably.

She also said that she doesn't believe that religious beliefs are contraindication for vaccination, but the books says so. She made sure to take points off for that as well (and it is ok)
No, you were supposed to pick the one answer that is a sign of ischemia. Not some random word that has no connection whatsoever with ischemia and isn't even a medical term.

And religious beliefs are NOT a medical contraindication for vaccination, depending on state law they may be cause for someone to claim an exemption for a mandatory vaccine but it doesn't mean getting it puts them at any medical risk.

Btw there is a reason people actually attend nursing school and don't just read books. You might want to consider the possibility that your professor knows things you don't know, and that the real world isn't always the same as a textbook.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
No, you were supposed to pick the one answer that is a sign of ischemia. Not some random word that has no connection whatsoever with ischemia and isn't even a medical term.

And religious beliefs are NOT a medical contraindication for vaccination, depending on state law they may be cause for someone to claim an exemption for a mandatory vaccine but it doesn't mean getting it puts them at any medical risk.

Btw there is a reason people actually attend nursing school and don't just read books. You might want to consider the possibility that your professor knows things you don't know, and that the real world isn't always the same as a textbook.
That is what i answered. She said book says it is a contradiction. zero points for you here. yup.
Book also says paresthesia is not a late sign... well, prof knows better than book this time. so, criteria just changed for this one.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:

Maybe she should have taught us that, instead of telling us to read the book. I am not a mind reader, i cannot know what she knows, UNLESS she explains it. I can only know what I read from the book she recommends. And if she wanted a sign of ischemia then she should have asked: Which one is a sign of ischemia (late is unnecessary, makes answers questionable and confusing).

Last edited by josephineF; 12-06-2017 at 08:46 PM..

Old 12-07-2017, 06:25 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 13 days ago)

35,646 posts, read 18,006,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Well, yes. But if someone came up to you and said hey, I'm serving Thanksgiving dinner and have a gluten free guest. Is cornbread dressing gluten free? You'd say no, it isn't. But if you're interested, I could give you my recipe for gluten free cornbread and you could go that way.

I'm interested in your recipe, because I do have a family member who is gluten free and all I can find are cornbread recipes that call for gluten free wheat flour.

But from a nurse's perspective, the point of this question is to know what gluten free patients might be able to eat. Not cornbread.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:36 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 13 days ago)

35,646 posts, read 18,006,664 times
Quote:

Josephine, this is a huge point. I think everyone thought you'd somehow earned this scholarship through other qualifications (leadership, excellent academic record, etc.) and the professor/dean would have no way of knowing that you need a 4.0 to maintain that scholarship.

It sounds like at your university all 4.0 students get this money. So the dean and teacher know this very well. Probably pretty much everyone knows it.

You're in a precarious position here. You've alienated a professor and the dean. You're on thin ice.

A component of your education, your clinicals, will require your supervisors to approve of your behavior/character/demeanor. It's not enough to have memorized the text. You'll have to have the professional attitude of a nurse, and one of those characteristics is that they can work as a team with a supervisor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities