Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 09:25 AM

174 posts, read 113,062 times

Advertisements

How hard are they usually? GaTech has an online ms in comp sci that I am interested in because of price, but I avoided tech as an undergrad because of the difficulty of the school. I can only imagine that is harder at the masters level.

My priority is work of course, not school, but everyone has a masters now a days, so it's about time I get one. Plus I'm getting pretty old (24). my company pays 10k/year for college, so I can look into other options. I'm really hoping for something that doesn't take more than 3 years to complete part time and isn't that hard. I still want to have free time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 04:43 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,723,533 times
Western Governors University has MBA and tech masters programs. It’s all online and some people have finished them in 18 months or so. You go at your own pace and do the work whenever you want. I think it’s around 6K per year and they don’t charge more if you accelerate.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:16 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,473,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatomicbomb90 View Post
How hard are they usually? GaTech has an online ms in comp sci that I am interested in because of price, but I avoided tech as an undergrad because of the difficulty of the school. I can only imagine that is harder at the masters level.

My priority is work of course, not school, but everyone has a masters now a days, so it's about time I get one. Plus I'm getting pretty old (24). my company pays 10k/year for college, so I can look into other options. I'm really hoping for something that doesn't take more than 3 years to complete part time and isn't that hard. I still want to have free time.
I know someone who attempted the online Georgia Tech program. He has a full-time job. He had to drop out because the courses required more time than he had. It's a difficult program, but you get a very cheap degree from a top 10 computer science program.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:55 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,345,715 times
Quote:

I have personal experience with both online and resident Master’s courses and programs.

Online programs-good ones- *should* be exactly as hard and classes should consume about as much time and demand as much effort and intellectual growth as a resident Master’s, simply with a different delivery method. The best are actually resident programs, from traditional schools (such as Ga Tech) with online students in the same classes.

3 years is pretty ambitious if you want a lot of free time. It’s not bad if you can do 2 classes at once, but 2 MS classes in a technical field at once is no joke. You get what you pay for, both in money and in time investment. Given your criteria i’d consider taking longer to complete it. Most programs have some flexibility and give you 6 to 7 years.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
I have personal experience with both online and resident Master’s courses and programs.

Online programs-good ones- *should* be exactly as hard and classes should consume about as much time and demand as much effort and intellectual growth as a resident Master’s, simply with a different delivery method. The best are actually resident programs, from traditional schools (such as Ga Tech) with online students in the same classes.

3 years is pretty ambitious if you want a lot of free time. It’s not bad if you can do 2 classes at once, but 2 MS classes in a technical field at once is no joke. You get what you pay for, both in money and in time investment. Given your criteria i’d consider taking longer to complete it. Most programs have some flexibility and give you 6 to 7 years.

I'm happy with a 2. something GPA if that helps. I'm not interested in the material itself at all. It's just fluff to get a better leg up at the next promotion. all my co workers have one, but they got it before they were hired. I'm can't afford to give up my salary.

Old 01-03-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I'm happy with a 2. something GPA if that helps. I'm not interested in the material itself at all. It's just fluff to get a better leg up at the next promotion. all my co workers have one, but they got it before they were hired. I'm can't afford to give up my salary.
I don't know about Georgia Tech, but most masters programs require you to maintain a 3.0 GPA. Many schools consider anything less than a B or B- as failing for a graduate course.

Old 01-03-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I don't know about Georgia Tech, but most masters programs require you to maintain a 3.0 GPA. Many schools consider anything less than a B or B- as failing for a graduate course.

why so high for an online masters? Why does society expect a masters degree from people now a days. grr.

Old 01-03-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
why so high for an online masters? Why does society expect a masters degree from people now a days. grr.
It's not that bad. There is usually grade inflation in graduate programs.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:25 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,345,715 times
Quote:
If all you want is a block check and have no real interest in the material, there are a lot more suitable choices than Georgia Tech. Tech may be cheap-but I don’t think anyone sane would call it easy.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:42 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,037,151 times
Quote:
Really then, don't bother. Oh, it might help get an interview or even a job, but demonstrated performance in the job is what will bring promotions. If you don't know the material, then you won't be able to apply it on the job whereas those you will be competing with will. So if you're not learning the material, you're just wasting your time and money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities