Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 03:22 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I guess that's why I think Columbia is ugly. The surrounding area, with or without the new construction is IMO ugly. I agree that the iconic architecture of McKimm, Mead and White is impressive, but not all of the buildings are as aesthetically appealing. The frat houses are also nice. But the dorms are typical urban dorms with the usual NYC vermin problems. I went to Teacher's College and the interior of the buildings have not been well-maintained, although you can see the vestiges of the beauty of the original interior and I believe that the original pipe organ in the chapel still works. It's all very urban and that does not appeal to me. I live and grew up in NYC. I much prefer the campuses of Princeton and Yale and parts of Brown. I prefer, green, quiet, and a place for study and reflection. Hey, even Brooklyn College still has goldfish ponds, as they did when the "new" campus was built in the 1930s.

I have not been to the new Cornell campus on Roosevelt Island. At least not yet. And duh, of course I know where the new expanded campus of Columbia is located. Never said that it was located in Morningside Heights. Morningside Heights and "Manhattanville" until recently was just called "Harlem" by us older native New Yorkers before gentrification. The new science buildings were built for function to accommodate new technology. I have visited some of the labs.
The business school is moving to Manhattanville in 2021, and other schools will be moving from Morningside Heights to Manhattanvillle. Potentially the next schools are SIPA and possibly the law school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 02:58 PM

294 posts, read 264,257 times
Overrated...

Old 01-30-2018, 04:25 PM

605 posts, read 491,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
I’ll just give the disclaimer that they’re alll top notch schools obviously.

I was watching a sitcom recently and one the characters mentioned they went to the worst Ivy League school. They then name dropped Cornell.

I’m not sure if I’d agree, but they’re definitely in a less desirable location than the others. Brown is also often ranked the lowest by US News and World Report. However, it’s a lovely campus and Providence is a nice little city (close to Boston too).

I went to Columbia for grad school so I’m a little bias in this discussion. However, they’re usual regarded as fourth outside of the Harvard, Princeton, Yale trinity.

I’d love to get the insight of some people who have been to some or all of the campuses. However, if you’ve just studied them or just feel like giving your two cents then that could be interesting too.
I got into Cornell but didn't attend. My brother is in his last semester of undergrad there now. I always kind of assumed it was the easiest Ivy in terms of gaining admission....

Not sure what TV program you're referring to (Big Bang Theory?), but on The Office, you could tell they enjoyed having Ed Helms' character be a Cornell grad--the number of times he referenced his alma mater made that fact obvious. Cast members BJ Novak, Michael Schur, Ellie Kemper, John Krasinski, and Rashida Jones went to Harvard, Harvard, Princeton, Brown, and Yale respectively, so I'm sure it was something of an inside joke. Their presumed laughs at Cornell's expense would seem to suggest they think of it as less than, heh.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:40 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,217,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcnkwcz View Post
I got into Cornell but didn't attend. My brother is in his last semester of undergrad there now. I always kind of assumed it was the easiest Ivy in terms of gaining admission....

Not sure what TV program you're referring to (Big Bang Theory?), but on The Office, you could tell they enjoyed having Ed Helms' character be a Cornell grad--the number of times he referenced his alma mater made that fact obvious. Cast members BJ Novak, Michael Schur, Ellie Kemper, John Krasinski, and Rashida Jones went to Harvard, Harvard, Princeton, Brown, and Yale respectively, so I'm sure it was something of an inside joke. Their presumed laughs at Cornell's expense would seem to suggest they think of it as less than, heh.
Honestly I didn’t leave out the name of the sitcom on purpose. I just work a lot of double shifts then have a tough time falling asleep when I get home because of all the adrenaline and will watch two or three shows as I fall asleep. So in my sleep deprived state a lot of stuff gets jumbled together, but that line stuck out to me. I think it might have been a recent episode of The Simpsons though.

Also, I’m a big fan of The Office too

Old 01-31-2018, 10:24 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
I've always thought of it as Cornell.

Columbia may be one of the best rankings wise, but it's easier to get into than Brown or Dartmouth. Especially Brown.

I have a number of friends that got into Columbia but rejected by those 2. At least when I was young (long time ago).

HYP are at the top...

Old 02-01-2018, 01:24 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post

Columbia may be one of the best rankings wise, but it's easier to get into than Brown or Dartmouth. Especially Brown.

I have a number of friends that got into Columbia but rejected by those 2. At least when I was young (long time ago).

HYP are at the top...
Columbia has an acceptance rate of around 5-6% these days. So it's not any easier than Brown or Dartmouth.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:45 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
I went to Penn in the 1980s. We had a massive inferiority complex (albeit one never actually stated out loud) regarding Harvard. Of course, Harvard, being Harvard, never deigned to respond to lowly us!

There was also the feeling of smug superiority over Cornell and Dartmouth and Brown. So, at least for Penn in the 1980s, there was the pecking order. I don't really recall Yale or Columbia coming into consideration, one way or another.

We seemed to most intensely feel a rivalry-of-equals with Princeton. In reality, I suspect that Princeton would be considered above Penn. But maybe we felt this way because they were geographically the closest Ivy to us; I don't know. Honestly, I never cared. I was satisfied being at Penn . . . and especially so for being at Wharton, which I still believe is the nation's top business school.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:59 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
Quote:

HYP are at the top...

Columbia easier to get into than Brown or Dartmouth? Not sure about that one. Columbia is way down there with Princeton when it comes to acceptance rate.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:48 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Columbia easier to get into than Brown or Dartmouth? Not sure about that one. Columbia is way down there with Princeton when it comes to acceptance rate.
It was when I was a kid. Not sure about now.

Yes, my sister got into Columbia and rejected from Brown and I knew a number of people where that was the case as well.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:44 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I went to Penn in the 1980s. We had a massive inferiority complex (albeit one never actually stated out loud) regarding Harvard. Of course, Harvard, being Harvard, never deigned to respond to lowly us!

There was also the feeling of smug superiority over Cornell and Dartmouth and Brown. So, at least for Penn in the 1980s, there was the pecking order. I don't really recall Yale or Columbia coming into consideration, one way or another.

We seemed to most intensely feel a rivalry-of-equals with Princeton. In reality, I suspect that Princeton would be considered above Penn. But maybe we felt this way because they were geographically the closest Ivy to us; I don't know. Honestly, I never cared. I was satisfied being at Penn . . . and especially so for being at Wharton, which I still believe is the nation's top business school.
Every one of these schools has an inferiority complex about at least one other & a feeling of smug superiority regarding at least one other.

When it comes to undergrad education, Princeton is probably at the top and Cornell is probably at the bottom.

For graduate education, there is variation by department. Taken as a whole, Harvard is probably at the top and Brown at the bottom. Of course, Yale has the best law school. Cornell has the best engineering school.

Quote:
It was when I was a kid. Not sure about now.

Yes, my sister got into Columbia and rejected from Brown and I knew a number of people where that was the case as well.
Each of these schools is so selective that there's going to be noise in admissions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities