Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 07:14 AM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times

Advertisements

I finished a 2 yr community college and subsequently transferred to the 4 year university it shared a parking lot with. 2 weeks into my first semester I had had enough. The community college was essentially 13th and 14th grade and was a great experience. The 4 yr university was full of attitude yet it wasn't really that great of a school. My finance teacher was Haitian with a ridiculously thick accent. You couldn't ask questions in class but had to go to a lab at a different time to ask your question to a teaching assistant. I was all done with that nightmare!

Next semester I transferred to the most prestigious school in the state, the tuition was 10X what the last school was! Graduated with a business degree a couple years later. No student loans, paid the tuition every semester because I was working full time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 07:16 AM

133 posts, read 98,319 times
I have two college degrees. I have no criminal record and been a wife and mother most my life. When I did work part time, the only jobs I ever had were entry level at roughly 12 hr. I’m looking forward to when my husband retires soon, life is so short, so much more than a paycheck. A college degree won’t get you an great paying job all the time.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:50 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,696,468 times
Never attended. Went to police academy instead.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:00 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
I started graduate school at UNC while working at an investment company. After a few classes, I decided I didn't need a graduate degree since I was advancing in my field without it. The company was paying for it so I didn't lose any money, just time.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:27 AM

189 posts, read 262,441 times
I am a two time drop out, HS and College. I often think of how lucky I have been with the opportunities that have presented themselves to me over the years.

After getting my GED I went to community college, then to university. Halfway through my junior year a mid-management position at my current employer was offered to me. However this position required traveling and longer shifts. I contemplated it and asked a ton of people for advice. Everyone pretty much told me I would be crazy to pass up this position and I could always finish school later.

Well 6 years later, I haven't finished school but I have been promoted two more times and now hold a senior level management position below the officer level.

I have been VERY lucky at my current employer, I got there at the right time, right before they had explosive growth. In 8 years we went from 75 employees to 800+. The company is now at a point where anyone manager without a masters level supply chain degree or 6s green belt is passed up by our recruiter.

It saddens me because I know theres others out there like me who have ability and are overlooked because they potentially dropped out chasing more experience.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:49 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
I always heard a lot of people say they dropped out because they "weren't ready." I never understood that, but what do I know?

Old 03-09-2018, 05:01 PM

5,483 posts, read 3,926,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
I know a lot of people who went to some college that everyone sneers at, like UoP or NU.
quite the rarefied world you inhabit where everyone sneers at Penn and Northwestern

Old 03-12-2018, 12:53 PM

270 posts, read 210,869 times
health

Old 03-12-2018, 01:13 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
I dropped out then went back 4 years later.

When I first started, I wasn’t psychologically or mentally mature enough. At 18 or 19 you’re still a kid that doesn’t understand how the world works or how important educatation is. It’s a shame that society expects kids to have it all figured out and now what careers they want to be in at that point. So many people end up dropping out, changing majors, changing schools, joining the military, etc. until they do figure it all out.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:47 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,509 times
I started community college right out of highschool. I think I was burned out of school by the time I went to college. I stopped going and just worked full-time for a few years as a waitress.

Then I felt ready to go back and finished up my AS degree in Early childhood education. It took several years to get that degree, because I was working full-time, and then I had two young children. I stopped going to college after I got my AS degree with the intention of going back for my bachelor's. It still hasn't happened.

Now I am thinking of paying for my children's college educations and no longer my own. I wish I had finished my BS before I started a family, but my priorities we're different back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities