Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 02:24 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times

Advertisements

History repeats itself. When I graduated with a BA in English, it was supposedly the best degree to have because I'd be able to choose from a wide variety of careers. You can teach a monkey how to use a computer but not to have a good work ethic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8NRh9UI1aQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 06:10 PM

10,068 posts, read 7,239,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
You are correct, we have been hearing about this for a while. But the technology has not existed to make this happen. It was always wishful thinking and an attempt to scare workers that their jobs are going to be automated.

However, the technology is progressing to the point that full automation is becoming a reality. What is not known is how fast workers are going to be displaced and when full automation will actually happen. Will it take 20 years or 200 years? No one knows, but that day will come. An interesting question is who is going to buy the goods and services that are going to be produced by the computers, robots, and other machines if everyone is unemployed?
Self driving cars were supposed to be the first major nightmare disruption. However, Silicon Valley is having trouble figuring out how to make the system not kill people. This was a problem years ago, since I saw interviews with machine learning experts back in 2014-15 who said they were having serious problems getting autonomous driving systems to make the right decisions about obstructions... in particular how to make the "least bad" decision, ie: rear-ending a car rather than running over pedestrians.

Now it's 2018 and apparently that is still a big wrinkle they have not fixed

It's a long way off before human drivers are replaced, unless we want to pay the infrastructure cost of dedicated self-driving-car roads.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:37 PM

4,972 posts, read 2,712,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Self driving cars were supposed to be the first major nightmare disruption. However, Silicon Valley is having trouble figuring out how to make the system not kill people. This was a problem years ago, since I saw interviews with machine learning experts back in 2014-15 who said they were having serious problems getting autonomous driving systems to make the right decisions about obstructions... in particular how to make the "least bad" decision, ie: rear-ending a car rather than running over pedestrians.

Now it's 2018 and apparently that is still a big wrinkle they have not fixed

It's a long way off before human drivers are replaced, unless we want to pay the infrastructure cost of dedicated self-driving-car roads.
Yes, it may be a while before full automation happens. But eventually they will get there, if we don't kill ourselves first.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:59 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Quote:
Unemployment right now has nothing to do with it. We are nowhere near full automation yet. When most jobs start to get automated, that is where we will see the unemployment go up.
The average worker today is five times more productive than his counterpart in the 1950s, yet we do not have massive unemployment. When jobs get automated, new jobs spring up.

Old 06-27-2018, 04:03 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
The average worker today is five times more productive than his counterpart in the 1950s, yet we do not have massive unemployment. When jobs get automated, new jobs spring up.
Yes, of course. Not only that, but the new jobs are much better.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:56 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,747,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
They've been beating that drum for more than twenty years and there isn't any decline in the demand for software developers.
Didn't the tech industry went down in the early 2000s because the Dot Com bubble burst?

Old 07-19-2018, 12:28 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,516 times
Quote:
Why ride a horse to your destination when you can drive a car?
If you have to ask that question, you have never ridden a horse.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:39 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,655,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
I don't think that they mean degrees in "Liberal Arts," but rather degrees in English, philosophy, or other humanities. As for the rest of your claim, I think it has everything to do with the quality of the school.

That said, this was a pretty crap article. I don't see how a (decent) degree in computer science won't develop critical thinking. And why, may I ask, should I listen to a sports team owner's "prediction" that we won't be writing software in the near future? He doesn't even justify it.
English, philosophy, and other humanities areliberal arts. So are mathematics, art history, psychology, anthropology, sociology, art history, foreign languages, music, biology and area studies.

Yes. There are subgroups within the liberal fine arts, social sciences, etc.

I thought the article was timely and interesting. In fact, it is one of several articles I have read recently, about this very topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities