Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 08:35 AM

102,233 posts, read 108,040,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernweh View Post
Oh look! Here is the Grammar Police!

I graduated high school in 3 years and college in 3 years, both of which I made top honors. I now work for a Fortune 100 company. Apparently they didn’t care if I made a grammar mistake here or there.

Get a life.
Agent Tyger has authorization to continue his grammar surveillance activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 09:10 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,214,643 times
Quote:
Am I the only one?! I feel like it. I come across sooo many people who were lucky enough for their parents to pay for college. My loans have increased $12,000 in interest since the 8 years I’ve been out of college. It just sucks....
Hey, honey, not all parents can afford to send their kid(s) to college. I graduated 1970, college was cheap by today's standards but Mom and Dad still couldn't swing it.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:15 AM

9,305 posts, read 14,922,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Seems like you didn't get a very good education, either, since you don't know the difference between "who's" and "whose".
I cannot tell you how many on these boards say they are college graduates and yet make many spelling and grammatical errors. They get upset when it's pointed out rather than admitting the errors.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:17 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,715,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I didn't get a penny from my parents for college. My Mother used to say that she helped pay for college by being so poor that I got a couple "poor kid" grants.

I DID pay for my kid's college.
I got the poor kids grants too and scholarships that were grade and need base. It helped a lot and to be honest, I was better off than the middle class kids whose parents didn't pay for anything but were too rich to qualify for Pell Grant. My husband is against paying for kids college, especially after seeing neighbors and coworkers support their kids get degree after degree cuz the kids don't know what to do with their life.. But I reminded my husband that even thought our parents didn't pay for our college, their low income allowed us to get Pell grants. So I think it is only fair for middle class and higher parents whose kids don't qualify for "poor kid" grants to pay for that much at least. I believe Pell grant is 5K/year

Old 05-08-2018, 12:43 PM

227 posts, read 247,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I cannot tell you how many on these boards say they are college graduates and yet make many spelling and grammatical errors. They get upset when it's pointed out rather than admitting the errors.
Oh, I’m not upset. I find it really pathetic that those specific type of people don’t contribute to the thread, but only point out spelling or grammar errors. I guess there’s a new rule stating if you make grammar mistakes, the university that person attended sucks

Old 05-08-2018, 06:58 PM

30,904 posts, read 36,989,319 times
Quote:
I graduated high school in 3 years and college in 3 years, both of which I made top honors. I now work for a Fortune 100 company. Apparently they didn’t care if I made a grammar mistake here or there.
Ok, then. So it shouldn't be so hard to know the difference between two words that you should've learned by 3rd grade. I know, those standards are just too high for someone like you to be bothered with.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:33 PM

163 posts, read 208,923 times
My wife and I have 5 kids. They ALL paid their own way through college.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:12 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,618,516 times
Quote:
It’s really nice to see more people like me. I went to school out of state, and because of that, I wasn’t eligible for scholarships.
I went to school out of state and financed my undergrad degree primarily through scholarships.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:15 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,618,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Never got a penny from my parents, used the GI BIll

The ironic part is the majority of people who have the GI Bill, won't use it. Go figure.
My husband already had his bachelor's and master's when he earned GI Bill benefits.

He transferred those benefits to me for my master's degree.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:03 AM

1,155 posts, read 963,983 times
Quote:
Oh look! Here is the Grammar Police!

Get a life.
Good grammar is an important part of a good education. Sadly, I note that you just made the dreaded "graduated college" error, right on top of your "who's/whose" error.

Graduated From Grammar Mistake - Business Insider

It wouldn't be such a bad idea to learn from any grammar corrections offered here, away from the eyes of people who know you in real life and may silently judge you for grammar mistakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities