Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 12:07 AM

1,155 posts, read 961,982 times

Advertisements

I'm one of seven children. We all paid our own way through college. On the other hand, I really envied my classmates who never had to pay for anything, even housing and insurance, and didn't have to work as well as attend classes and study.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 05:56 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernweh View Post
Am I the only one?! I feel like it. I come across sooo many people who were lucky enough for their parents to pay for college. My loans have increased $12,000 in interest since the 8 years I’ve been out of college. It just sucks....
No, you aren't. It just feels that way. I won't say they didn't help, they offered some help and I'm grateful. But, college was expensive and even with a scholarship and what they could do, I was still saddled with sizeable student loan debt.

But, that's how it goes.

Old 05-09-2018, 06:04 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,218,259 times
I got not one penny from my folks for education, found a 2 year technology program and turned that into a 30 plus year career. None of the other 5 kids got anything either...wait....6 kids....I think I get it!

OTOH, I was very happy to help my one and only daughter out.

Old 05-09-2018, 06:53 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,788,672 times
Quote:
Am I the only one?! I feel like it. I come across sooo many people who were lucky enough for their parents to pay for college. My loans have increased $12,000 in interest since the 8 years I’ve been out of college. It just sucks....
It's expensive. I'm still paying for mine even with my parents help.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:13 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,312,007 times
Quote:
No OP you're not alone and as other posters have already commented, neither did I and I didn't pay for my children either, they applied for grants as well as student loans. I think, in general (and it is unfortunate) that people appreciate what they've earned and paid for and yes, it just sucks.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:30 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Count me among those who doesn't think the cost of my education was out of line.

Yes, I got about 75% paid for, free and clear, via grants and scholarships.

Yes, I went to a private out of state liberal arts college with a high sticker price (that I came nowhere near being charged).

Yes, it was 20 years ago. It was still expensive in 1990s dollars, then.

But the 25% that my scholarships and grants didn't cover? The 25% I took out student loans for (not that my parents paid for, or my parents took out loans for..that I took out loans for)? Less than the cost of a new car. People drop that and more on a vehicle and think nothing of it. But if they owe it for school, they're outraged. I never identified with this. It's the best investment I ever made.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:49 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,536,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It's the best investment I ever made.
seems the ones who complain about cost are the ones who regret college and any cost would be too much for them, they shouldnt have attended in that case but they didnt want to work at 18 either...

Old 05-10-2018, 09:25 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
seems the ones who complain about cost are the ones who regret college and any cost would be too much for them, they shouldnt have attended in that case but they didnt want to work at 18 either...
This is an unfair shot at college grads with mounting debt. Many of them took on that debt, only to find that the jobs they qualified for after a BA was in hand don't pay much. To make enough money to be able to pay for living expenses (plus debt payments) and have a hope of raising a child, some find out they'll need an MA, and more debt. There's some justification for worry or complaint about the size of the debt. The OP's situation is unnerving; interest on his college loan has gone up $12,000 in 8 years, while he's been making payments? That's scary!

OP, have you looked into public service jobs that provide loan forgiveness? There's a government program, that forgives the loans for people who work several years for non-profit organizations, or who choose certain government jobs.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:32 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I went to school out of state and financed my undergrad degree primarily through scholarships.
Students will have to be more strategic in this way, in the future, and go to schools that offer a good financial aid package, and work harder in HS to qualify for scholarships. They also may have to forgo going to their top-choice schools, in order to take the best financial aid package. After a friend of mine did the college tours with his son, only to find out that while all of them offered generous financial aid (the student also got a couple of scholarships), the remaining amount the schools all required the parents to contribute was more money than they had. So the boy went to a small private school that offered the most financial aid. There was no other workable choice. He's lucky that one of his scholarship sources is offering him a summer internship that pays well.

Students and parents will have to do a lot of research, to find the schools that offer the best financial aid packages. It's becoming a trend for some universities to offer full financial aid that is a combination of various non-loan aid. Let's hope that trend gains momentum.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:34 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,536,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is an unfair shot at college grads with mounting debt. Many of them took on that debt, only to find that the jobs they qualified for after a BA was in hand don't pay much.
unfair or not, my shot is aimed at why it took them that many years to figure out what the starting pay is

you said college was an investment, what other investments do you know of that does not have some resemblance of forecasting finances?

i've seen advice saying total student debt should be about first years salary... but people dont look into what that salary could be until after the debt has accumulated, kind of too late at that point isnt it? <--- which at this point, puts medical school right at the edge of being "affordable", if that isnt an investment on education, not sure what would be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities