Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 06:15 PM

166 posts, read 313,588 times

Advertisements

Looking for feedback from adjunct professors out there. I just finished teaching a class this past semester at a local State University, while still working full time at my "real" job. I have mixed emotions about the experience, but after some thought, I think I can say that it is not for me. It was a great professional challenge, and a great learning experience (I taught a course that was only peripherally related to my job, so it required a lot of new learning, which was cool). But it was the most amount of work for the least amount of money I ever did. I may revisit this again after I retire from my full time job (2 - 3 years), but of now I think I am one and done.

Just wondering how other who have done this feel. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 06:17 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Welcome to the real world of "overpaid teachers".

Old 05-15-2018, 06:20 PM

But adjunct teaching is a whole different ball game - apples to oranges. I wish i knew how much the "real" professors made. Maybe they are overpaid, maybe not. No idea.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:23 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo123 View Post
Looking for feedback from adjunct professors out there. I just finished teaching a class this past semester at a local State University, while still working full time at my "real" job. I have mixed emotions about the experience, but after some thought, I think I can say that it is not for me. It was a great professional challenge, and a great learning experience (I taught a course that was only peripherally related to my job, so it required a lot of new learning, which was cool). But it was the most amount of work for the least amount of money I ever did. I may revisit this again after I retire from my full time job (2 - 3 years), but of now I think I am one and done.

The first time you teach any class is an enormous amount of work. The second time you teach the same class you only need to tweak it, and the third time there is no prep. From that point on, the hard work you did up front pays off in spades.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
But adjunct teaching is a whole different ball game - apples to oranges. I wish i knew how much the "real" professors made. Maybe they are overpaid, maybe not. No idea.
That depends on the number of years post secondary education you have, and how many years of teaching experience you have. There's a pay schedule where each year of your education, and each year of your teaching experience (typically based on 600 hours) pushes you up the pay schedule. Additionally, there are all sorts of perks like professional development, free books and better benefits.

For each paid hour of teaching you receive one paid hour for prep. Suppose you are paid $46/hour, that translates to $92 including prep, so once you have the teaching materials sorted out, it's easy street.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:55 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:

It's always a tremendous time and effort investment the first year, because you're designing your course, and developing course materials, tests, handouts, etc. But once you have all that stuff, it's done and it's in your files, so the next time, and the time after that, are fairly effortless. Except for the part about dealing with the live students in class, haha. But there's much less of a time expenditure involved, because you've already done the prep.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:00 PM

What I'd like to know is how do you deal with keeping a clear head for your full time job and not jeopardize it ? I was lucky that things went very smoothly and I had very few conflicts. But I had some conflicts, had a final exam for my class that ended at 11 pm and then get to work at 8:00 next morning, and I had numerous other times where I took vacation time in order to work on teaching. Using vacation time so I can work is nuts. I don't know that doing this a second time would go so smoothly.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
What I'd like to know is how do you deal with keeping a clear head for your full time job and not jeopardize it ? I was lucky that things went very smoothly and I had very few conflicts. But I had some conflicts, had a final exam for my class that ended at 11 pm and then get to work at 8:00 next morning, and I had numerous other times where I took vacation time in order to work on teaching. Using vacation time so I can work is nuts. I don't know that doing this a second time would go so smoothly.
If you have a class that goes late, it is challenging to clear your mind - always normal to reflect on the class and think about how to improve. Try doing something that you would normally do earlier in the day, like stop at the grocery store. Doing something mundane and routine can help in terms of resetting the mind - then all you have to deal with is a bit less sleep. If you're experienced with your other job, chances are you can get it done on 6 hours of sleep, or 4 in a pinch.

Regarding the prep time that chewed up vacation time, realize that you only have to do that the first time you teach the class. Hopefully you were organized and kept each of the lecture materials organized by week. If you're using an LMS, your job is pretty much done because it's already organized. If the institution doesn't use an LMS, look at Canvas.

https://learn.canvas.net/courses/123...tion-and-login

Old 05-16-2018, 09:06 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
As others have stated, teaching a class the first few times is very time consuming, especially that initial class. It does get easier, from the aspect of lecture prep. Most of my classes were night classes and on those days, my mind was so wired after class that I couldn't fall asleep until midnight. That made the next day at the mortgage-paying job a little difficult, especially when the alarm went off at 4:15.

Still, I thoroughly enjoyed teaching. Great support from the dean and his secretary. Interesting, complex subject matter. A sense of satisfaction about "touching" young lives. There are few things more satisfying to have a former student from years ago come up and express appreciation for what was taught them.

Yes, it is a lot of work for little pay; but also extremely rewarding. I loved my time teaching.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 05-16-2018, 09:16 AM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Adjunct instructors are underpaid, have no job security and no full time job benefits. So although the teaching itself is rewarding, quite often financially it leads to major problems if that is the only job one has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities