Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 08:23 PM

166 posts, read 313,848 times

Advertisements

I think that as the years pass, there are fewer and fewer kids that can handle going away to college. I've seen my kids' friends and roommates get into all kinds of trouble once they left the nest. Many of them never even made it to Thanksgiving of their freshman year before failing out or being thrown out for discipline reasons. In some ways, staying home is the much more mature thing to do rather than party yourself out of school. And, if you're from a fairly affluent suburban area, it'a an adjustment going to a smaller college town or a rural college community. Not everyone wants to or can make that adjustment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 09:07 PM

24,634 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
1 No one is arguing that college campuses can be a dangerous place for young women, you still haven't explained how a campus closer to home versus out of state changes this fact...
I did, you just refused to read it. A woman can live in her parents home when she is closer to college.
Quote:
And being "more likely to report it" if close to home not only makes no sense but does not mitigate the danger much does it?
Correction, it doesn't make sense to you. It makes plenty of sense to women and their parents.
Quote:
Even if your statement were true (unlikely) how does being "more likely to report it" change that it already happened??
It changed the fact that the perp won't get away and keep committing the crime with other women...

Again, the point is that they can live at their parents house.
Quote:
2. Your previous (sexist ) post stated that "most parents would want their daughters to go to college close to home" but have no problems with "sons spreading their wings"

You have proof of that statement??
1. The statement is not sexsit
2. The proof is common sense but I'll post the statistics AGAIN for you.
Quote:
Comparing families in which the children were all one gender, a study from T. Rowe Price found that parents of boys are more likely to save for their children’s college than parents of girls.
Quote:
Saving for their children’s college expenses was also more important for families with boys, with 68 percent reporting that it was a higher priority than saving for retirement. Only 50 percent of families with girls felt the same.
https://www.insidehighered.com/quick...sons-daughters
Quote:
More women than men go to college now in this country and they are just as likely to study far from home...
No one was arguing that particular point.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:22 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
There is a huge difference, and I suspect this was the OP's intent, between attending a state college and attending whatever local commuter college is closest, with all your old friends and cliques from high school and no thought whether that college is the best choice academically. Basically grades 13, 14, ....
Yes, as I mentioned earlier, we've seen these types on this forum. I have no idea how common that type of experience, or student, is, though.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:25 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo123 View Post
I think that as the years pass, there are fewer and fewer kids that can handle going away to college. I've seen my kids' friends and roommates get into all kinds of trouble once they left the nest. Many of them never even made it to Thanksgiving of their freshman year before failing out or being thrown out for discipline reasons. In some ways, staying home is the much more mature thing to do rather than party yourself out of school. And, if you're from a fairly affluent suburban area, it'a an adjustment going to a smaller college town or a rural college community. Not everyone wants to or can make that adjustment.
I wonder why this is. Isn't this the generation that was helicopter-parented to a great degree? Do you think that might have something to do with it? Kids who were over-protected?

Old 06-15-2018, 10:28 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
True, he didn't take into account students who can't afford to go away to college, or who choose their local flagship university, for the quality of the education, or for a specific program they have. But I'm reminded of a certain poster we've seen repeatedly on our forums, who's currently in college, and chronically laments missing the family events back home, and struggles with adjusting to being "away" at college, even though it's only about 2 hrs. away from home. I imagine that's the kind of person the OP had in mind.

Yet and at the same time? That poster who was having a hard time adjusting to college #2 as a sophomore ( I hope he is doing well) & still wants to live at home so he can hang out with his buddies who are living at home and attending local - to the town they grew up in- colleges? His parents pushed him out of his comfort zone & won't allow him to live home & commute.

You can't always win, as a parent or in the eyes of others who apparently know what is best for your child, I guess?

Old 06-15-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
The OP's post is even more ridiculous when you consider that Ypsilanti is a college town itself, and it's maybe a twenty minute drive to the University of Michigan, which is easily one of the top public universities in the country.

Why should people move far away when there's a perfectly decent university in town, and a nationally well-known, well-respected, fairly prestigious university right next door? Are people in the bay area who attend Stanford or Berkeley "deciding not to grow as individuals"? Ridiculous.
Exactly.

One can live in a mid-atlantic state and great (large) universities & small colleges are are really NOT that far away - in NJ, CT, NY, PA, MA, VA, DC, etc.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:51 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
Living at home doesn't necessarily mean being coddled. Many work and go to school, as well as take care of their own laundry, food, car, etc. On the other hand some of the most coddled are those who go away entirely on their parent's dime and don't even work in summer. I knew a few guys whose parents actually paid their laundry service!

Old 06-15-2018, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
It is that time of year when the High School Graduation Announcements are distributed by excited parents, and a common thread of conversations is "Where will your graduate attend college?"

At my wife's school, most parents are responding that their child will attend the State University 4 miles from home, or the Community College 5 miles from home. I realize the significant savings possible (not guaranteed) by attending Community College for two years and then transferring to a 4-year university, but within all of these comments are the words, "They do not want to be far from home."

My take in this comment is either over-controlling parents, or children who have decided to forego their own growth as individuals just to have free TV, their own bedroom, possibly their own bathroom, and choice in meals served daily.

What a waste of lives if it is a decision to not grow as individuals, and believing that everything life has to offer is experienced by age 18.
Why do you care about anyone else's kids?

Old 06-17-2018, 12:17 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
It is that time of year when the High School Graduation Announcements are distributed by excited parents, and a common thread of conversations is "Where will your graduate attend college?"

At my wife's school, most parents are responding that their child will attend the State University 4 miles from home, or the Community College 5 miles from home. I realize the significant savings possible (not guaranteed) by attending Community College for two years and then transferring to a 4-year university, but within all of these comments are the words, "They do not want to be far from home."

My take in this comment is either over-controlling parents, or children who have decided to forego their own growth as individuals just to have free TV, their own bedroom, possibly their own bathroom, and choice in meals served daily.

What a waste of lives if it is a decision to not grow as individuals, and believing that everything life has to offer is experienced by age 18.

I will agree, it is sad that some kids don't want to be far from home and I think even if they are staying in state it's a good idea to go further from home. The pathetic aspect of this is the kids who move back home and leech after college. Any more it seems that kids stay in their hometown or very close and keep their high school clique going in college and for the rest of their lives when they move right back in with their parents.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:28 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I couldn't wait to live on my own, but it was always a question of economics and I suspect it is today as well. I think by the time young people have paid for their car, college loan payments, clothes, cell phone, hanging with friends, dating, vacations and credit card bills, there's nothing left for renting a decent apartment. And they would rather have all that than their own place. I know this is the case with many young adults who still live or did live at home into their thirties and beyond. And some went away to college, some didn't. I don't think that's a factor. In the past, a sizeable percentage of young adults lived at home until they got married. Combining two salaries made the economics feasible to have your own place and take care of yourselves.
That's a ridiculous reason for living at home. It's called budgeting and being an adult. And who the hell can afford vacations in college?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities