Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 02:31 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,521,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior0921 View Post
With so many fourth tier law schools either closing, merging, OR being placed on probation (Whittier, Charlotte, John Marshall, Arizona Summit, Thomas Jefferson, Savannah Law school, etc). These schools have terrible reputations, were caught paying students to NOT take the bar exam, have abysmal bar passage rates, and leave students with a massive amount of debt and no real employment prospect.

So why then, do these law schools exist? And why do people continue to attend them? When I realized that I could not afford to get into a top tier law school I decided to go into a different line of work. No way was I going to go into a ridiculous amount of debt at a bottom tier law school. Not sure how I feel about the government closing down these institutions, but something has to be done. People are leaving these law schools saddled in unbelievable debt with no real prospect of good employment. Just wondering why these law schools, and there are many of them, still exist.
Many of these schools exist to prey upon students who don't know any better while taking advantage of the power of federal student loan guarantees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 03:17 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Just so people know, not everyone no matter how great their law education (school) was passes bar exam first time out.

https://www.lextalk.com/b/lextalk_bl...-failures.aspx

Yes, going to a tier one or two law school *may* or may not enhance one's chances of a successful career post graduate. Much of that is going to depend on the person's own innate abilities and personality for a start. But there is no denying that contacts/relationships made at Harvard or whatever top school can open doors.

SCOTUS and various federal departments have long been basically a works program for top law school graduates. Current SCOTUS has not broken that trend, https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...?noredirect=on

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Court_Justices

And current nominee Brett Kavanaugh (Yale Law) won't either.

Being as all this may there are still many jobs for those with valid JD/law degrees that don't require graduation from a top law school. Everything from compliance to staff attorneys for various local government agencies.

Contrary to popular belief law schools do not exactly teach one how to be an attorney. While the foundation is laid and of course students are taught (hopefully) what they need to know in order to pass bar exams; a large part of the work a day knowledge and skills are obtained post graduation. Usually but not exclusively via being a clerk or those coveted associate new grad positions.

At some point if one is determined and successful enough where one went to law school matters less and less. Suppose if one wishes to enter politics on a local or federal level, and or gain access to those various appointments, then a Yale, Harvard or whatever top tier degree could grease those wheels.

Then you have guys like Saul Goodman. You know, someone you call when things get tough and you don't want a criminal lawyer, but a *CRIMINAL* lawyer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvlEqAjg8aU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1elQfKLqNw

There are scores if not hundreds of "Saul Goodman" sort of attorneys all over USA, always have and always will. When your behind is looking at 15 to life, a wife that is looking to take all that you have and or ever will get, and or some other equally tight spot who are you going to call? Some "top tier" graduate with a middling to low track record (and who might just treat you like garbage), or a guy who is a pit bull but may have a degree from school you've never heard of in your life?

Old 07-31-2018, 03:22 PM

More insight into how rankings are created: https://www.law.com/newyorklawjourna...20180631172057

Old 07-31-2018, 07:34 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,467,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Contrary to popular belief law schools do not exactly teach one how to be an attorney.

Law is an elitist industry, and law schools serve as gate-keepers. All you need to be a lawyer is the ability to read, write and think critically. I remember I got on an instructor's bad side because I made such a statement in class. I was totally not trying to be offensive, but she made me pay. I should have gotten an 'A' in her class, but she scored my final in a way that I was exactly one point under the minimum for that grade. What a coincidence. Lawyers can be a sensitive.

If you really want to be a lawyer, I'm inclined to believe you're going to succeed simply because it's your passion. I would weigh all factors and choose the most economical option in the end. It hasn't been worth the debt for a long time, but it's really not worth it these days.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post

Law is an elitist industry, and law schools serve as gate-keepers. All you need to be a lawyer is the ability to read, write and think critically. I remember I got on an instructor's bad side because I made such a statement in class. I was totally not trying to be offensive, but she made me pay. I should have gotten an 'A' in her class, but she scored my final in a way that I was exactly one point under the minimum for that grade. What a coincidence. Lawyers can be a sensitive.

If you really want to be a lawyer, I'm inclined to believe you're going to succeed simply because it's your passion. I would weigh all factors and choose the most economical option in the end. It hasn't been worth the debt for a long time, but it's really not worth it these days.
In at least three states it is still possible to sit for bar exam by simply "reading law", which is how things were in both USA and England long before colleges/universities began offering degrees and or such was required to sit for exam.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admiss...out_law_school

Reading law is just that; one apprentices (if you will) under a judge or attorney to learn what there is; and when ready apply to take bar exam. Today some states mandate a minimum period of law school attendance however.

At basic level law school is no different than any other for the professions (medicine, nursing, dentistry, etc....). The main and some might argue sole purpose is to produce graduates who can pass board exams, hopefully on first attempt, and are safe to let loose on the public. Anything more than that is gravy.

There are those who believe only tier 1 or 2 schools are capable of doing this; but it does become a "chicken or egg" first question. That is do top law schools via their selective admission process purposely or otherwise choose those most likely to pass bar exams, and or motivated to become successful attorneys.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:06 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,851,182 times
Serious question here. Is it fair to lump 3rd and 4th tier schools that are associated with state university systems in with some of these other law schools that are being mentioned? Law schools like University of Wyoming, Maine, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, Vermont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities