Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2018, 10:05 PM

333 posts, read 977,586 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I had received a scholarship at this college I applied to. I wasn’t sure about my major which was wildlife rehabilitation and felt I’d be too busy with two part time jobs to keep up a full time schedule which the scholarship requires. I wanted to cancel my classes after the first few days but a lady in financial aid said since it was after the first day of class that I’d have to pay 20% of my tuition back which would be like $5,500 and said something about because my financial aid hadn’t paid anything yet. Well I changed majors instead so I wouldn’t have to pay that money to them cause I can’t really afford to. I know the scholarship is annual and is renewable. However, there’s a chance I could end up moving in a few months and be harder to get to the school. Would I have to remain with them for the entire school year so I don’t have to pay for the scholarship back? Or could I transfer schools after the fall semester as long as I finished the semester with good grades? Cause I’m wondering if I didn’t use the remaining part of the scholarship if they would say I owed them that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 09:02 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,060,155 times
20% of your tuition is $5,500? First question to ask is this a for profit school? I can understand you can't cancel without penalty after classes start, but you shouldn't owe anything for a future semester if you don't enroll for that semester. Though I'm not sure how, if you're too busy for a full time schedule, changing majors helps that. More information might be helpful.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:35 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Most reputable schools have a drop-add period, even after classes start.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:40 PM

129 posts, read 101,856 times
I was in a similar position with my college scholarship. My wife fell ill and was on bed rest for over a year so I took on 3 part time jobs. Like you, if I canceled my classes my scholarship would stop. So what I did was stop attending some classes and failed in them. That voided the scholarship for the next year but due go the cafe my wife needed I knew there would be no next years as I needed a full time job.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
20% of your tuition is $5,500? First question to ask is this a for profit school? I can understand you can't cancel without penalty after classes start, but you shouldn't owe anything for a future semester if you don't enroll for that semester. Though I'm not sure how, if you're too busy for a full time schedule, changing majors helps that. More information might be helpful.
It’s a private school but it’s supposed to be a non for profit but it’s a scholarship with them. I have to remain full time because it’s a requirement for the scholarship.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnyfl View Post
I was in a similar position with my college scholarship. My wife fell ill and was on bed rest for over a year so I took on 3 part time jobs. Like you, if I canceled my classes my scholarship would stop. So what I did was stop attending some classes and failed in them. That voided the scholarship for the next year but due go the cafe my wife needed I knew there would be no next years as I needed a full time job.
Hmm yea but if I stopped going to classes wouldn’t that affect my overall GPA? Incase if I wanted to do any other programs in the future. I don’t think I’d get financial aid at all then.
By not going to classes the first year wouldn’t you still have to pay back for that year’s scholarship?

Old 08-29-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Most reputable schools have a drop-add period, even after classes start.
This was during their first week of the drop/add period but the lady in financial aid said you’re apparently just given the like the end of the first day of school or sometime on the second day maybe but this was the 4th day, so go figure.

Old 08-29-2018, 04:59 PM

2,466 posts, read 2,764,686 times
Regarding the next semester, should you like to continue your education and scholarship with the school... can you take online classes. Most brick and mortars offer many of their offerings online.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:18 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Make an appointment to speak to your advisor, immediately. Sometimes they, or more likely the dean of your department, can "bend the rules" regarding deadlines.

I'm also confused why you changed majors after only a few days of classes? That doesn't make sense.

Didn't you consider that holding two part time jobs, plus taking a full time class load would be too difficult? Depending on the college/University, you should expect to spend at least two to three hours studying per credit. So, if full time is 15 credits add in 30 to 45 hours and you have 45 to 60 hours for classes & studying. How many hours are you expecting to work each week?

Maybe you should concentrate on your classes and take out more student loans (or go to a cheaper college)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities