Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 04:05 PM

3 posts, read 7,799 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I need help finding an online program or program in Michigan that is a Ph.D in Philosophy. I was thinking about obtaining a 2nd B.S. in Philosophy from Fort Hays virtual school. But then I thought maybe I should get a higher degree instead? I will be finished with a MBA Summer 2019 so I want to enter my Ph.d program by Fall 2019 next year

Last edited by digitaldata; 09-02-2018 at 04:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 05:09 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,289,909 times
I can't answer your question, but what do you intend to do with it? Employers aren't kicking down the doors of people who have a doctorate in philosophy. What was the purpose of your MBA? It sounds like you are taking classes just to take classes.

Old 09-02-2018, 05:35 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,079,840 times
I would bet that the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor (my beloved alma mater ... go blue! ) has a Ph.D. program in philosophy, but it's likely extremely difficult to get into. And honestly, the market for philosophy Ph.D.'s -- or MOST Humanities Ph.D.'s -- is incredibly tough, so you could spend 6 or 7 years getting a Ph.D. and end up as an adjunct teaching at four or five different schools trying to make a living.

Or you could do an online Ph.D. in philosophy and have no prospects at all. Except in certain fields -- of which philosophy is NOT one -- online Ph.D.'s are a joke.

As the previous poster asked: what do you want to DO with it?

Old 09-02-2018, 11:35 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times
In everything, I will defer to Dr. Karen, because she actually does hold a PhD. I have a maters, and I am work as an independent college admissions counselor. So Karen, do correct me as you see fit.

From what I know, few doctorate programs are completely online. In Michigan, there are several possible schools. Onehttps://lsa.umich.edu/philosophy - I know that is part of the University of Michigan, but I am not sure if it is located on the Ann Arbor campus or another campus.

I do know of someone working on a Doctoral Degree at Western Governors University. To my knowledge, WGU is not a for profit college. The person I know who is working on his doctorate is satisfied. I am not sure if the degree is in Philosophy.

Old 09-03-2018, 12:14 AM

172 posts, read 107,970 times
To be blunt a waste of time and money. If you have that much motivation you should focus on developing professional career skills that apply to your career area of intrest.

Old 09-03-2018, 07:40 PM

3 posts, read 7,799 times
Its for personal and professional enrichment. Its interests me and will compliment my digital marketing career

Old 09-22-2018, 02:25 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,480,242 times
There are actually hundreds to possibly thousands of PhD programs offered online by traditional schools. Employers won't be able to tell the difference because your diploma and transcript will be the same as they are for ground students. There will be some other things you'll miss out on, though, such as teaching and research assistantships, publishing with professors, and getting funding to attend conferences.

With that said, online degrees in philosophy are rare in the U.S. These are the only American programs I can think of that come kind of close.

https://myunion.edu/academics/doctor...s-and-culture/
https://www.faulkner.edu/online/acad...hy-humanities/
https://salve.edu/humanities-phd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
In everything, I will defer to Dr. Karen, because she actually does hold a PhD. I have a maters, and I am work as an independent college admissions counselor. So Karen, do correct me as you see fit.

From what I know, few doctorate programs are completely online. In Michigan, there are several possible schools. Onehttps://lsa.umich.edu/philosophy - I know that is part of the University of Michigan, but I am not sure if it is located on the Ann Arbor campus or another campus.

I do know of someone working on a Doctoral Degree at Western Governors University. To my knowledge, WGU is not a for profit college. The person I know who is working on his doctorate is satisfied. I am not sure if the degree is in Philosophy.
Western Governors University does not have any doctoral degree programs.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:58 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,367,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldata View Post
Hello!

I need help finding an online program or program in Michigan that is a Ph.D in Philosophy. I was thinking about obtaining a 2nd B.S. in Philosophy from Fort Hays virtual school. But then I thought maybe I should get a higher degree instead? I will be finished with a MBA Summer 2019 so I want to enter my Ph.d program by Fall 2019 next year

I'm confused. Do you want to get a doctorate in something business related and teach something like accounting/finance, etc.?

I hope I'm wrong and not reading that you want a doctorate in philosophy. Like actual philosophy. If so, PLEASE PLEASE do not do this. If you are using philosophy to get into law school for example, that's fine but you don't need a doctorate to get into law school.

A Ph.D is expensive and you will have a ton of debt and not a lot of opportunities to be successful in life. If you don't get a teaching position at a college, you may end up working retail.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:06 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,367,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldata View Post
Its for personal and professional enrichment. Its interests me and will compliment my digital marketing career

Crap. I erased everything I wrote. Who told you this? I doubt it will add to you professionally. Not trying to be negative. I've seen people major in things like anthropology, sociology, philosophy and graduate to bleak employment prospects. You should be doing something that will add to the MBA you have. Are you networking right now? How many internships have you done? What was your concentration when you did your MBA? These are the things you should be thinking of (not the last question. I was just curious)...not a doctorate in philosophy.

The economy is past those majors. They're dying fields and for someone like you who I think is pretty young, it's almost already yesterdays news. Please don't get into something that will be obsolete soon.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:09 PM

371 posts, read 556,318 times
Do you have a background in philosophy as an undergrad? Perhaps the way to get started here is to take a single class at the undergraduate level and see well you do. Presumably PhD programs would want you to have some background in the subject before you take advanced classes.

BTW, psychology would be useful to study for your marketing career. I don't see how PhD studies in philosophy would help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities