Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 11:41 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,171,571 times

Advertisements

I'm helping a junior position himself for admission in Rice University. It's his dream school and since they are very selective, he wants to submit a really strong application. What makes applicants stand out? If you have any insight, do share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 11:55 PM

6,290 posts, read 7,494,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
I'm helping a junior position himself for admission in Rice University. It's his dream school and since they are very selective, he wants to submit a really strong application. What makes applicants stand out? If you have any insight, do share.

I have just one insight. You would probably find more Rice Grads in the Houston forum, you think ?

Old 06-20-2018, 09:10 AM

I suppose so. I reckoned I'll reach a broader audience by posting in Texas forum.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:41 AM

6,290 posts, read 7,494,183 times
Quote:
I suppose so. I reckoned I'll reach a broader audience by posting in Texas forum.

You would think that but the Texas forum has really been dead lately most threads get very few views a day. The city forums have been much more active in the last few months anyway....

Old 06-20-2018, 09:53 AM

123 posts, read 100,381 times
I'm a Rice alum and do alumni interviews for seniors that are applying. As far as what makes applicants stand out, I'd say the following (it's not too different from the advice I'd think you'd see for peer schools of Rice).

1) Grades/Test Scores: Self-explanatory; he can at least figure out what percentile he ranks in for admitted Rice students in regard to his SAT/ACT score. For grades, taking the toughest curriculum offered at his high school (especially AP classes) and doing well in them.

2) Extracurriculars: Rice likes to see long-term dedication to activities (not a unique criteria to Rice). When I interview students, it always comes off better if a student can talk to me about an activity they've done for a few years and may have a leadership role in (at least), versus a hodgepodge of activities they've picked up their junior or senior year. Showing passion and a genuine interest in things outside academics is important.

Specifically with regard to extracurriculars and test scores, these have jumped up since I applied over a decade ago. The 25/75 percentile SAT/ACT scores have gone up and the kids I interview today have lots of multi-year extracurriculars, many with significant leadership roles. I graduated less than a decade ago, but I'm not sure I would get admitted to Rice today, which is a sentiment a lot of my college friends echo - college admissions is more competitive than ever before.

3) Essays: I'm not sure what the topics are nowadays, but I'd focus on a few things where he can.
First: why Rice? What aspects about academics, professors you might want to research with/take classes from, social/cultural life at Rice appeal to you? How does Rice help you achieve your goals in life?
Second: why are you a good fit for Rice? Sell the admissions officers on what you can bring to the table to make Rice a better place.
Third: what are you passionate about, both from an academic and extracurricular perspective.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
You would think that but the Texas forum has really been dead lately most threads get very few views a day. The city forums have been much more active in the last few months anyway....
In that case, i'll wait for for few days hoping my post to resuscitate Texas forum. If no fruitful replies then i can move it to Houston forum. Thanks, Jack Lance.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsidewolf1989 View Post
I'm a Rice alum and do alumni interviews for seniors that are applying. As far as what makes applicants stand out, I'd say the following (it's not too different from the advice I'd think you'd see for peer schools of Rice).

1) Grades/Test Scores: Self-explanatory; he can at least figure out what percentile he ranks in for admitted Rice students in regard to his SAT/ACT score. For grades, taking the toughest curriculum offered at his high school (especially AP classes) and doing well in them.

2) Extracurriculars: Rice likes to see long-term dedication to activities (not a unique criteria to Rice). When I interview students, it always comes off better if a student can talk to me about an activity they've done for a few years and may have a leadership role in (at least), versus a hodgepodge of activities they've picked up their junior or senior year. Showing passion and a genuine interest in things outside academics is important.

Specifically with regard to extracurriculars and test scores, these have jumped up since I applied over a decade ago. The 25/75 percentile SAT/ACT scores have gone up and the kids I interview today have lots of multi-year extracurriculars, many with significant leadership roles. I graduated less than a decade ago, but I'm not sure I would get admitted to Rice today, which is a sentiment a lot of my college friends echo - college admissions is more competitive than ever before.

3) Essays: I'm not sure what the topics are nowadays, but I'd focus on a few things where he can.
First: why Rice? What aspects about academics, professors you might want to research with/take classes from, social/cultural life at Rice appeal to you? How does Rice help you achieve your goals in life?
Second: why are you a good fit for Rice? Sell the admissions officers on what you can bring to the table to make Rice a better place.
Third: what are you passionate about, both from an academic and extracurricular perspective.
Thank you for taking time to write an informative post. Its very helpful. Is it important to show demonstrated interest? In your opinion, they are holistic like Ivies or favor high stats like UC Berkeley and CalTech?

By the way, you aren't the only one in awe of students who get accepted to such schools now. Its a competitive world. One would think Rice would be easier to get in as a smaller regional college but they are as selective as Ivies. I'm quite impressed by their generous financial aid program. I suppose it helps to have a huge endowment.

Last edited by UnfairPark; 06-20-2018 at 11:16 AM..

Old 06-20-2018, 11:35 AM

123 posts, read 100,381 times
Quote:
Thank you for taking time to write an informative post. Its very helpful. Is it important to show demonstrated interest? In your opinion, they are holistic like Ivies or favor high stats like UC Berkeley and CalTech?

By the way, you aren't the only one in awe of students who get accepted to such schools now. Its a competitive world. One would think Rice would be easier to get in as a smaller regional college but they are as selective as Ivies. I'm quite impressed by their generous financial aid program. I suppose it helps to have a huge endowment.
Rice is definitely holistic in its admissions process.

As far as demonstrated interest, I would say that any opportunity the student has (whether a college information session at his/her school or visiting campus/taking a tour (link on the latter below)) to show interest in a university, he/she should take advantage of it. Not only is it documented interest that admissions officers probably look at, but it also allows the student to form an educated opinion about the university, which can be reflected in essays ("On my visit to Rice, I really enjoyed Professor X's lecture on Y/the feel of X residential college/X club meeting..." or "Speaking with your admissions representative at my high school, I learned X, Y, and Z that I didn't know before about Rice") or in the on-campus/alumni interview. It helps to give some credibility to the student's argument as to why they are a good fit for Rice and why Rice appeals to them.

https://riceadmission.rice.edu/portal/campusvisit

Old 06-20-2018, 11:49 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,310,989 times
Quote:
One would think Rice would be easier to get in as a smaller regional college but they are as selective as Ivies.
Rice is a small school but it is not a "smaller regional college" in the way, say, Austin College is. Rice from the beginning was designed to be a world class university, but with a small student body; and remarkably enough they have held to that mission.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsidewolf1989 View Post
Rice is definitely holistic in its admissions process.

As far as demonstrated interest, I would say that any opportunity the student has (whether a college information session at his/her school or visiting campus/taking a tour (link on the latter below)) to show interest in a university, he/she should take advantage of it. Not only is it documented interest that admissions officers probably look at, but it also allows the student to form an educated opinion about the university, which can be reflected in essays ("On my visit to Rice, I really enjoyed Professor X's lecture on Y/the feel of X residential college/X club meeting..." or "Speaking with your admissions representative at my high school, I learned X, Y, and Z that I didn't know before about Rice") or in the on-campus/alumni interview. It helps to give some credibility to the student's argument as to why they are a good fit for Rice and why Rice appeals to them.

https://riceadmission.rice.edu/portal/campusvisit
Makes sense, schools do want to feel loved and be sure that you'll matriculate if qualified for admission. If student doesn't have top of the line resume , probably applying early decision would help his odds a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities