Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 11:24 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,240,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
I believe gus2 is referring to time limit to return and complete the degree where you started.

Many/most schools (well, all I have worked at and all I know of) have time limits within which you may return to complete a degree. Some schools allow students to keep the credits if they return within three years before losing credits while some schools require the degree to be completed within seven years start-to-finish regardless of breaks during that time.

If you are considering returning to complete that degree, you first should check with the school to see *IF* they will allow it as you think if can be done (that is, just complete the last two courses and they grant the degree).

And as gus2 wrote - and others here - your student loans do not go away. You are responsible for that debt, even if you filed bankruptcy as they are excluded from the debts which may be part of a bankruptcy, unlike credit card debt or auto loans or other consumer debt.
^^^Yes to all of that ^^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 11:30 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,460,293 times
OP-I do not think you are Ivy League MBA material. The competition is particularly fierce to get one.

You need to more concretely define what you want to accomplish, and that will help you figure out the plan of action. Finishing your Bachelor's first is a wise plan before even having an MBA discussion.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:16 PM

12 posts, read 8,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Oh marcdel, bless your heart.

Are your student loans currently deferred or are you in default? Those loans are not gone, inactive, or closed. In fact, they've probably grown with interest, penalties, and fees.

What school did you go to before, and what was your major? Check on their website to see what their time limit is... I know for my husband's program it was 6 years, so you might have either just made it or missed it.

I seriously doubt you will succeed academically in a challenging program that does not interest you.

You will not make $250,000/year with an MBA. My husband has an MBA and 25+ years of experience and makes 1/3 of that.

You need a new plan.
I'm not sure. Basically I didn't finish college but had over 110+ semester hours credits finished (only requiring 2 class or 6 hours to graduate), I didn't get a job after school and just caved in and just didn't pay my student loans. It was very stressful for me not to finish college that the debt only added more stress that I just didn't handle it because I had no way to pay it, nor did I have a job.

Any suggestions on a plan? I literally have no strategy on the real world stuff. All I know is how to work in restaurants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
Sorry, but I just HAVE to disagree with this logic. Doing a job solely for the money is actually a recipe to ensure that you won't make the money. If you take the path you've outline, there is just no way that you're going to make $250k anytime soon. If you actually want a path that works, and you don't care about doing a job that you're not passionate about, then get an undergraduate degree in accounting or finance. Get an accounting or finance job out of undergrad, which will pay in the $50k-$60k range, and allow you to get your MBA. Then once you have an MBA and work experience in the correct field, you'll have a shot at low $100's out of school. The only way to break into the $200's+ is to be GOOD at your job, and that will only come if you care about it.

Again, it sounds like you're trying to fit a square peg into a round hole- you're not a nurse, and not passionate about business, so this is just a huge recipe for failure. You can make $200k+ in film- people who are passionate about what they do tend to earn the big bucks. True, it's harder in film, but not impossible. I'm going to venture a guess and say that it will be impossible for you to try to make it in business- you're incentives are all backwards.
Ah this is good tips! I'm not saying I completely hate nursing. I'm indifferent as to whether I take nursing or accounting or finance. I am opposed to making $11/12 an hour minimum wage job for the rest of my life if I am able to just educate myself for 4 years to make something higher.

What did you mean that my incentives are backwards? The reason I pretty much failed school is because I wasn't motivate to succeed. I didn't know that after college life sucks working a minimum wage job. I spent 7 years outside of school and wanted to make it in film. Film is a pretty expensive hobby and I don't have the stable background in my finance to support my hobby. So then I had a wakeup call, I do need to get good grades and have a good school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
I believe gus2 is referring to time limit to return and complete the degree where you started.

Many/most schools (well, all I have worked at and all I know of) have time limits within which you may return to complete a degree. Some schools allow students to keep the credits if they return within three years before losing credits while some schools require the degree to be completed within seven years start-to-finish regardless of breaks during that time.

If you are considering returning to complete that degree, you first should check with the school to see *IF* they will allow it as you think if can be done (that is, just complete the last two courses and they grant the degree).

And as gus2 wrote - and others here - your student loans do not go away. You are responsible for that debt, even if you filed bankruptcy as they are excluded from the debts which may be part of a bankruptcy, unlike credit card debt or auto loans or other consumer debt.
Ah! That makes sense. Thanks. Does this apply to transferring out of the school? Most likely I wont come back to my school to finish my degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
OP-I do not think you are Ivy League MBA material. The competition is particularly fierce to get one.

You need to more concretely define what you want to accomplish, and that will help you figure out the plan of action. Finishing your Bachelor's first is a wise plan before even having an MBA discussion.
Thanks! Do you advice me restarting my whole undergrad starting as a freshman? I had like a 2.0 average and I don't think it will cut it.

Any advice on how to get a more concrete definition of a plan on what to accomplish? I'm really lost and don't have any guidance from anyone.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:52 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcdel80 View Post
Hello,
Just wanted to say that I'm truly grateful for your post! This is so helpful! And inspiring! I'm wanting to do nursing for job security. Essentially, my baseline of my minimum wage job gives me about $1200 a month working 36-40 hours a week. I want to get a baseline upgrade of my minimum job to what the nursing degree pays which is $23/hour (if you get a bad gig). Only then can I really purchase the camera and lifestyle I want.

With a minimum wage job, I'm currently able to purchase computer parts, upgrade my camera and such. And even save up for a better education.

I'm also interested going into an MBA program at a top 15 business school so I can make $250,000 a year after 5 years of graduating. Although I am passionate about cinematography/film I am not quite the best money maker and business person. So if I get an MBA, not only can I start my own business but I can work for businesses that already pay and have an upgrade in my baseline payscale so I can save up for cameras.

There was never a time for me where doing film work made me any money. In fact, I have to use my minimum wage job to pay for reserve locations, pay actors/actresses, props and stuff. So at this point, it's a hobby. I don't have the formula on how to make it into film.

Nursing and MBA at a top 15 business school gives you a formula on how to make $46,000 / $120,000 / $250,000 a year.

p.s. Thanks as well for all those helping out in the post! I'm honestly not trolling and this is a good wakeup call to know that information about those schools not being in Ivy league. But it just makes me realize how much I don't know. Better to get stumped here than IRL.
You're all over the place in terms of what you want to do.

First of all, if you're not a business oriented or money oriented person, an MBA is not going to work for you. You will need a bachelor's degree AND several years of work experience that is meaningful, and accomplished.

You also have a lot of debt - student loans, credit card balances, etc. Maybe you need to work on that as an immediate term goal before you plunge into more debt. And see if you can finish your degree first.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:55 PM

1,279 posts, read 853,049 times
Let's take this step by step.

First, focus on getting a college degree.

Everything else is just secondary.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:55 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Hello,
With a minimum wage job, I'm currently able to purchase computer parts, upgrade my camera and such. And even save up for a better education..
I don't know how you can do all that on minimum wage. Do you live at home?

Old 11-01-2018, 08:07 PM

12,983 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
First off, if you ultimate goal is to purchase a camera that costs $88k, it does not make sense to take on hundreds of thousands of dollars in educational debt. Do you actually want to work in nursing or business?

How long have you been out of undergrad? If it hasn't been too long, you may be able to finish up your last 2 classes and get the degree. But your GPA will absolutely not get you into an Ivy league.

Bankruptcy does not erase student loan debt.
A 2.0 GPA won't get a person into grad school anywhere, and especially not Berkley, Stanford, or an Ivy.

Stanford doesn't have out of state tuition. It's private, and expensive for everyone regardless of where you're from. Same with USC, Harvard, and Yale. But no ones getting into any of them with a 2.0.

Old 11-02-2018, 02:04 AM

12 posts, read 8,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
You're all over the place in terms of what you want to do.

First of all, if you're not a business oriented or money oriented person, an MBA is not going to work for you. You will need a bachelor's degree AND several years of work experience that is meaningful, and accomplished.

You also have a lot of debt - student loans, credit card balances, etc. Maybe you need to work on that as an immediate term goal before you plunge into more debt. And see if you can finish your degree first.
True, well I'm interested in business and making money but I haven't had the right formula and it doesn't come natural to me. I thought the whole purpose of an MBA was to be given that formula. I'm assuming if I get an MBA then it will open doors for me that weren't there. Does one have to be naturally talented in business and money to get an mba?

For the loans, should I start clearing them out? I have probably over $5,000 in credit card loans but they keep increasing. I feel like paying my debt is just too late and will take me a step back. I feel like I should just get into education, get a better job then start paying back debt when I'm actually capable to do so.

For example, paying $5,000 will take me over 454 hours to pay (assuming this is before taxes, so it will take more hours to pay after work deducts taxes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
Let's take this step by step.

First, focus on getting a college degree.

Everything else is just secondary.
Right. Currently a degree in film, nursing or finance and account has been opened here. Which one would you recommend? The easy one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I don't know how you can do all that on minimum wage. Do you live at home?
Yes I do. Minimum wage in California is $11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
A 2.0 GPA won't get a person into grad school anywhere, and especially not Berkley, Stanford, or an Ivy.

Stanford doesn't have out of state tuition. It's private, and expensive for everyone regardless of where you're from. Same with USC, Harvard, and Yale. But no ones getting into any of them with a 2.0.
Exactly. So basically restart all my undergrad and get A's? Is there a
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
I would say, First, focus on waking up.
Thanks! ANy other conditions that changes a state of being that a person is waking up? I thought just realizing I need a better job and having education is the first step, whats the next?

Old 11-02-2018, 04:45 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
OP, you're 29, you still live at home with no prospects at all of moving out any time soon, and you appear to have absolutely no clue about the real world.

So I can't figure out if you are delusional or developmentally disabled (or both) -- or are just punking us (I suspect the latter because your posts are really bizarre ).

For example, when someone suggested that you need to wake up, you replied ...

Quote:
Thanks! ANy other conditions that changes a state of being that a person is waking up? I thought just realizing I need a better job and having education is the first step, whats the next?
So again, you're supposedly 29, you were 95% of the way to a bachelor's degree but dropped out with a low GPA, you apparently defaulted on your student loans ... but you want to get an MBA from Stanford or Berkeley (while knowing absolutely nothing about the programs or how incredibly difficult they are to get into).

Quote:
True, well I'm interested in business and making money but I haven't had the right formula and it doesn't come natural to me. I thought the whole purpose of an MBA was to be given that formula. I'm assuming if I get an MBA then it will open doors for me that weren't there. Does one have to be naturally talented in business and money to get an mba?
You're interested in "making money" ... um, OK, we all are as most of us need a job in order to live. You somehow thought that an MBA program will give you some "formula" on how to make money?

Quote:
Right. Currently a degree in film, nursing or finance and account has been opened here. Which one would you recommend? The easy one?
BUT if not an MBA, you want to go into film (and buy an $88,000 camera ) OR nursing OR finance/accounting? What on earth?

Quote:
For the loans, should I start clearing them out? I have probably over $5,000 in credit card loans but they keep increasing. I feel like paying my debt is just too late and will take me a step back. I feel like I should just get into education, get a better job then start paying back debt when I'm actually capable to do so.

For example, paying $5,000 will take me over 454 hours to pay (assuming this is before taxes, so it will take more hours to pay after work deducts taxes).
Should you pay your debts? Um, of course. But your most recent post tells us you have $5,000 in credit card debt, in addition to the student loans you defaulted on (which will likely make it impossible for you to go back to school if you need any MORE loans) ... again, what on earth?!

(Is it winter vacation for middle- and high-schoolers already?)

Old 11-02-2018, 06:31 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Lolololololololol

$88k cameras, minimum wage jobs, Harvard MBAs, Liberal Arts dropout, Nursing school, etc..

I’m sorry but this is a train wreck of ideas clustered together in complete randomness and a lack of common sense.

Uncle Bernie wants to give this generation free college! These are the type of questions you get when people have no consequence or accountability.
Why do some people have to connect every dopey post to politics? My daughter got a "free" MBA through a privately-funded graduate assistantship at a public university. She was named outstanding student in her MBA class both years she was there.....even though you think her "free college" was giving her a mindset of no accountability. Plenty of kids whose parents are paying for their degrees or who are paying for it themselves and often racking up huge loan debt squander the opportunity and plenty of kids on scholarship make the most of it.....regardless of their political affiliations or lack thereof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities