Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 07:37 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,078,249 times

Advertisements

When I first started we were off from Thanksgiving to right after New Years. Made sense when so many students are out of state. This allowed them to get the full Holiday's with family. It changed when we went from quarters to semesters, though. A lot of kids couldn't go home for Thanksgiving after that.

I didn't mind either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 09:30 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,557,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
When I went to college we started in late August and got out about the 10th of December, went back the first Monday following New Year's. Our daughter's schedule was roughly the same. Yes, I felt like that much time was necessary to recover mentally from the semester. I have always felt that college was much more mentally challenging that work. Work can be hard, long, or excruciatingly boring. But seldom challenging.
This is roughly how my class schedule goes. I think finals technically end on Wednesday, but I took my test last Thursday (online class) so I'm off until January 7. This is the longest break I get all year, and I need it. My busiest time at work is January/February so it's nice to have an extended break to relax and mentally prepare. I only have one week between my spring and summer class, and about two weeks between summer and fall.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:33 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,557,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
After that long it seems students would get bored at home. Maybe it's just me, but more than about four days at home is a chore.
You're assuming most students don't have anything else to do but school. I work a full time plus job and have a house and pets that need to be taken care of, and it's nice to be able to do things for fun.

Old 12-16-2018, 05:55 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
You're assuming most students don't have anything else to do but school. I work a full time plus job and have a house and pets that need to be taken care of, and it's nice to be able to do things for fun.
When did I assume that? And when did a house and pets require that much attention? Unless you're running a damn farm it's not that much work. How much fun are you really going to have for a month at home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
When I first started we were off from Thanksgiving to right after New Years. Made sense when so many students are out of state. This allowed them to get the full Holiday's with family. It changed when we went from quarters to semesters, though. A lot of kids couldn't go home for Thanksgiving after that.

That is insane.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:53 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,851,182 times
During undergrad 15 years ago winter break was 2 months long. By the third week I was restless. 3 weeks is plenty IMO.

When Ohio University was on quarters back in the 90s the students had thanksgiving through new years off. Essentially 5 weeks of time off. Which I'm told was great for kids who had jobs and could work for 5 weeks, save up some money for winter quarter but I can't imagine being off for 5 weeks in the winter.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:44 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
During undergrad 15 years ago winter break was 2 months long. By the third week I was restless. 3 weeks is plenty IMO.

When Ohio University was on quarters back in the 90s the students had thanksgiving through new years off. Essentially 5 weeks of time off. Which I'm told was great for kids who had jobs and could work for 5 weeks, save up some money for winter quarter but I can't imagine being off for 5 weeks in the winter.
That was back when you could work and save money for college. That's nonexistent now. Especially since those jobs were likely minimum wage.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:26 PM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post

That's the schedule at my kids' school, on the quarter system, and she has no complaints. In fact, I think it's been quite appreciated over the past 3 years. Out of state?- for sure. New Hampshire to Alaska is a long trek. She's been able to come home and also visit extended family or friends over the lengthy break.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:29 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
My university (I'm faculty) has finals the week of December 10-14 and resumes classes on January 14. A student with all of their exams early in the week could have more than a month long break.

Long breaks make sense when the majority of the students are from out of state and they vacate the dorms. It gives physical plant the opportunity to do maintenance, the registrar more time to resolve scheduling conflicts, and faculty time to focus on research. Also, December/January is not the most pleasant time to be on campus due to weather. I think most students are happy having an extra week or two in the spring or late summer on campus rather than the first or second week of January.
Same with my college kid. Last day of exams this semester was Friday, 12/14 (exam week started Monday 12/10). Dorms were open until 10 am Sat, 12/15 . My kid is an RA, so he had to stay until Sat.

First day of spring semester starts Monday, Jan. 14th. He'll be back on the 13th.

He actually likes to be home - beside the home cooked meals and his comfortable bed, he sees his friends from HS & college; takes day trips skiing with them or goes bowling or axe tossing or they just end up at one of our houses hanging out.

The preK-12 school he and his friends graduated from have "young alumni" events (5 years post-grad = "young alumni") the week up to the school's winter break. The teachers at the school also love to "employ" their young alums. Go read a book to the preK classes, help the 8th grade bio class dissect a worm (or whatever) if you are a bio major, come meet with current HS students who are interested in the college you attend and tell them all about what your major consists of & life on campus, etc. Athlete alum who played a winter sport? Come and help your HS coach out.

However? The week before going back to college? He's ready. All kinds of antsy to get back on campus and his life away from home.

Old 12-21-2018, 06:23 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
My month-long winter break wasn't long enough

Old 12-21-2018, 10:24 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
When did I assume that? And when did a house and pets require that much attention? Unless you're running a damn farm it's not that much work. How much fun are you really going to have for a month at home?

I worked during it. I was glad to save up the extra money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities