Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 07:36 PM

4 posts, read 2,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Advanced Calculus. It was the only D I ever got and I worked darn hard for it!
Was yours a theory course? My Advanced Calculus was killer! My husband would look at my work and wonder where the numbers were . I worked super hard for that D!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 07:40 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
Organic chemistry

Old 03-03-2019, 09:30 PM

188 posts, read 548,669 times
I majored in chemistry even though I never took any physics or chemistry in high school and essentially failed all high school math. I struggled to get going, but I’d say linear algebra really got me good. I should have taken differential equations instead. I did very well in calculus though.

Once I got to grad school I hit my stride, what a great experience it was.The hardest in grad school was a toss up between cumulative exams and advanced quantum mechanics. Both were only required of us PhD students. Although the content was much more advanced than anything in undergrad, it wasn’t as difficult for me to be successful at it.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:25 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,036,420 times
Actually Difficult: C++ - Hardest B I had ever worked for. Hate is a strong work and I HATED programming. I could do Calculus, Diff. Eq., Fluids, Thermo, etc. like the back of my hand. Programming was not my thing.

Situationally Difficult: Introduction to Catalysis - I was burned out of graduate school and this class was taught in such a way that it royally kicked my butt. Lowest grade in my college career, B-.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:00 AM

3,319 posts, read 1,818,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I'd have to say it's a tie between organic chemistry and molecular biology.

Lots of brute force memorization of complex chains of reactions and/or rules. I found physics to be more straightforward. A handful of concepts that just kept popping up repeatedly in different but related topics.
Yeah, organic was brutal, especially since I took no chem in HS. Fortunately I did better in qual and quantitative analysis which used math. (Math made more sense to me, but then I had five years of it in High School!)

English, Language, and History were interesting and valuable but often taught rather poorly at my college.

The social sciences - excepting economics - was pure fluff and a source of pride only IMO to weaker minds who bullpooped their way very successfully thru it.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:14 AM

96 posts, read 80,156 times
I have a BS/MS in Civil Engineering. My hardest class was Speech 101 because I hated getting up in front of a class.

Old 03-05-2019, 12:11 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,818,378 times
Calculus was by far the toughest for me. I honestly had no clue what I was doing the whole class. Somehow I ended up with a D in that class. Made me mad because I would have graduated summa *** laude if I received at least a C but the D knocked me down to magna.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:30 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,658,433 times
Default Hardest College Classes and Worst Grades...

Started out in Bio-Med (Brutal Program-a year quicker than normal Pre Med) at UC Riverside long ago. Got a C in General Chemistry freshman year and worked my butt off...was so discouraged that I switched to Business Administration (Berkeley only other UC to have it back then) and never looked back!

Did get a C minus in Calculus one quarter...difficult subject with a Chinese Professor...HEAVY accent didn't help.

Also got a D in Upper Level Managerial Accounting...challenging subject!

Did better in all other Business Administration Classes (Econ (Macro and Micro), General Accounting, Statistics, MIS, Management, Corporate Finance, etc. enough to somewhat redeem myself to a 3.1 overall GPA.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:57 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
The statistics portion of research design and analysis in my grad program. Mainly because I'd been out of school for 16 years when I started my master's, and it had been even younger since I touched a stats curriculum. Love research, hate stats.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:06 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,676 times
philosophy. I don't remember why, but it didn't make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities