Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 09:07 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,651,436 times

Advertisements

Support for caps reflects realization that student loan borrowing by graduate students and parents of undergrads allows schools to charge ever higher prices for tuition, fees, and room & board.

Quote:
WASHINGTON—The White House is calling on Congress to cap how much graduate students and parents of undergraduates can borrow in federal student loans, a proposal it said is aimed at curbing rising college costs...

Graduate students and parents can borrow as much as schools charge in tuition, plus more for living expenses. The White House didn’t specify proposed limits.
Source: https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-a...ns-11552942437. (Sorry - its behind a paywall)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 09:17 AM

4,280 posts, read 5,938,202 times
The endless rise in tuition and School expenses is part of the problem. However, having the Feds Cap the Borrowing limits will only drive students and parents to even higher cost private loans, not restrict the rise in tuition and fees.

Somehow the schools need to face a penalty by not adhering to some sort of limit. I know that when Michigan imposed limits on tuition hikes the state supported universities started rapid escalation of Housing Fees, and a portion of the housing fees were diverted to tuition and other non-housing costs.

Any solution will need to be multi-pronged to be effective.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:32 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post

Somehow the schools need to face a penalty by not adhering to some sort of limit. I know that when Michigan imposed limits on tuition hikes the state supported universities started rapid escalation of Housing Fees, and a portion of the housing fees were diverted to tuition and other non-housing costs.

That’s interesting... Several midwest state universities I visited with my son now have a 2 year requirement to live in the dormitories/pay meal plans. I guess that’s another way to squeeze out $ from students without tuition hikes.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:46 AM

12,848 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Contrary to talking points, it is NOT loans that are driving the price. Loans are a response to the prices. I know, doesnt fit the narrative, but reality seldom does.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:44 PM

7,456 posts, read 4,688,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Contrary to talking points, it is NOT loans that are driving the price. Loans are a response to the prices. I know, doesnt fit the narrative, but reality seldom does.
What is driving the price?

Old 03-20-2019, 07:28 AM

12,848 posts, read 9,060,155 times
A big driver has been cutbacks in state support for state institutions, shifting more of the cost on to the middle class students. Anyone who has done a FAFSA knows what little percent most middle class students get I. The form of loans. The amount of loan guarantees for are justa fraction of the total cost of attendance even at a lot of state schools.

Nor is the cost driven by so called luxury amenities. Maybe some schools. But most are no different than when we went. In fact many are the same dorms with maybe a cost of paint. The talking points just are not the reality for most who ate attending.

For STEM there are a lot of costs in labs and facilities to do cutting edge work. Specialized equipment, clean rooms, etc. And the cost of software. Some of those programs cost $100's of thousands per year to license. Libraries, same thing to subscribe to journals and databases.

They aren't taking "gender studies "
They are working to help pay for college.
Books are ridiculous in price.
They are in debt roughly the cost of a new car for their education.

Last edited by tnff; 03-20-2019 at 07:45 AM..

Old 03-20-2019, 07:48 AM

3,372 posts, read 1,566,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Support for caps reflects realization that student loan borrowing by graduate students and parents of undergrads allows schools to charge ever higher prices for tuition, fees, and room & board.

Source: https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-a...ns-11552942437. (Sorry - its behind a paywall)

Way past due. The higher ed system has made a killing off of the loan system. They don't care how they get their money, and the ever-increasing loan backing amounts have continued to let them jack up their prices. They don't care if you go $1 million in debt. As long as that loan money covers the exorbitant tuition.

I bet this "cap" talk has the bloat in higher ed worried. Administrators might have to give up their 5-hour $200K "work" weeks.

Old 03-20-2019, 03:30 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,401,706 times
I wholeheartedly agree that loans are driving the tuition costs, and not the other way around.

Where I went to school, roughly half of the kids were on scholarship, and the other half paid $50k, which just happened to be roughly the cap for federal loans that year. If the cap dropped to $25k overnight, there's no way they would be able to keep their applicant pool up without reducing tuition, probably at the expense of offering fewer academic scholarships.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:48 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I just posted a thread on how the growth in popularity of for-profit colleges is the main cause of the current student loan debt "crisis." In my opinion, public funds should only go to public schools, and they definitely should not go to for-profit schools. This would solve most of the problems. And, there's also the reduction in state subsidies.

The interesting thing is that for-profit colleges are less likely to offer degrees in the liberal arts. Other than psychology and criminal justice, the most commonly-offered programs at for-profit colleges are considered "applied." They offer a lot of programs in various business fields, IT and computer science, and education. At the two-year and certificate levels, they're offering vocations in healthcare and trades.

Dependent, undergraduate students cannot borrow much. The cap is already low. If they want to borrow more, they either need private loans or have their parents apply for a PLUS loan. The PLUS loan requires a credit check. Independent students have a higher cap, and these are usually older students. I suspect much of the debt is coming from them. Also, a lot of what's driving the increase in debt is the growing attendance of graduate school. This is probably the reasoning behind lowering the caps for parent and graduate loans.

Last edited by L210; 03-20-2019 at 07:05 PM..

Old 03-21-2019, 06:59 PM

4,280 posts, read 5,938,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
That’s interesting... Several midwest state universities I visited with my son now have a 2 year requirement to live in the dormitories/pay meal plans. I guess that’s another way to squeeze out $ from students without tuition hikes.
Back in 2004 I was one of four finalists following a national search to fill the position of Director of Housing Facilities at a major mid-western state university. I was shocked and appalled when the interviewers, who all would have been part of my staff had I been the final selection, informed me of this pricing treachery (my opinion) imposed on Room & Board fees!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities