Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 05:50 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,392,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
My public college requires all freshmen and sophomores to live in university housing. There are exemptions for true commuters.

http://www.clarion.edu/student-life/...ads/index.html
What if the college freshman is 25 years old? Or 28 years old? Or in their thirties....

Living in a dorm at that age would not feel right to that person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2019, 06:06 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,675,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
What if the college freshman is 25 years old? Or 28 years old? Or in their thirties....

There are numerous exemptions including:

Quote:
Students over the age of 21

Old 09-28-2019, 10:36 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,264,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post

That's why they don't.

They end up in the "adult education" program, and don't live on campus and room with an 18 year old or several 18 year olds.

Old 09-28-2019, 10:47 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,190,356 times
I think it's a stupid idea to require every student under 21 to be in a dorm. Personally, I don't think any students should be required to live in a dorm. Maybe students under 18, but they're rare.

Old 09-28-2019, 10:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
My small private liberal arts college only had a residential requirement for freshmen (though they could live at home if they fell within the parameters of a local residence, or off campus if they were nontraditional students... 23+, married, parents, etc., but this was quite rare among the student body... far more rare than at large public universities).

Anybody else could live off campus if they chose.

Old 09-28-2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
People complain about the cost of college but today's students want much more luxury than a few decades ago. The school where I went to college has replaced all of the dorms that were on campus in the 1970s.
What college was that?

You pay EXTRA to get housing in a "new dorm" at my alma mater...where my 20 year old is a current Junior.

Quote:
Some of those dorms opened in 1973. They have been replaced with suites where four students share a bathroom. There is no an excess of private apartment complexes around campus some with swimming pools and party rooms. I don't think a college should require students to live on campus until they turn 21 but colleges should be able to provide cheaper, more convenient housing than private apartments.
The dorms everyone wants to live in, at my kid's college were built in the late 1700's and early 1800s.

Gorgeous.

Close to 15 ft. ceilings; old stone & brick and huge walk-in fireplaces in the vestibules/lounges...can't beat it, aesthetically.

Ghosts and all.

Quote:
Underage drinking should not be a consideration in this matter. Unless the college is marketing a strict, conservative, Christian environment, students should be free to live where they want. The market should allow competition between the university and private apartments.
My 20 year old isn't at a strict conservative Christian college.

It just makes no sense to live off of campus, but you can; as a senior in good standing.

Your GPA needs to be in check and you can't have any infractions on your college record up and until. You can apply to live off campus, in the college approved rentals.

Quote:
I don't think "micro-aggression's" should be possessive.

Who cares?

Bless your heart.

Old 09-28-2019, 11:10 PM

8,686 posts, read 3,879,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
One year is enough. Those rooms are like prison cells. The whole dorm experience is a nicer version of prison. As a college freshman, it is somewhat essential to do it for the sake of your social life and meeting people, and it is a good transition into apartment living.

My main grievance with dorm life is the lack of a private bedroom, which makes sex more challenging.

If I had to do it over again, I would skip dorm life, get an apartment, meet classmates through other means, and have the private bedroom for sex as soon as I stepped on campus.
Most simply don’t have the money for a private apartment anyway considering cost of tuition. It’s much cheaper to have a cafeteria card/dorm than buying groceries and paying utilities - not to mention transportation - especially the first couple of years. We had separate, private bedrooms though - with a shared common area and a grody bathroom.

I agree in re: prison cells but we all survived. Who doesn’t have great stories to tell as a result?

Old 09-28-2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
I think it's a stupid idea to require every student under 21 to be in a dorm. Personally, I don't think any students should be required to live in a dorm. Maybe students under 18, but they're rare.
Why do you think it's stupid?

It's not always required.

You can live at home and commute.

Old 09-29-2019, 12:09 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,190,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
Why do you think it's stupid?

It's not always required.

You can live at home and commute.
Students and their parents should have the freedom to choose the student's living circumstances. Living at home and commuting is the best option for some. Living in an apartment or off campus housing is the best option for some. Living in the dorms is the best option for some. Ultimately, that's a student-to-student decision that doesn't need a blanket policy.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:36 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,215,508 times
Default Filling unused dorm space

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar77111 View Post
I’d think that they’d prefer 21+ people in their dorms because underage drinking wouldn’t be an issue.

Its way cheaper to rent an apartment and share expenses with room mates you want to live with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities