Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 08:10 AM

12,846 posts, read 9,045,657 times

Advertisements

You've done several threads on this the last few weeks. What do you think you should do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2020, 10:36 AM

102,209 posts, read 107,859,557 times
OP, you got some really good advice on your thread on this topic a month ago. The answers won't be any different this time around. What we can't help noticing, though, is that, since posting your earlier thread, you haven't thought about what it is you'd really like to do. Where do your talents and interests lie?

Comp Sci would be good, if you can hack it, but would be a waste of time, if you can't handle the work, or find coding to be mind-numbing. Nursing is good, very good, if you're good at science and are a people person. If you're not very empathic, or don't have patience with people, or faint at the sight of blood (this seems to be more common in men than women), forget about it.

We need more info about you in order to be able to advise you. Or rather, it seems like you need to do a lot of self-reflection to figure out what would suit you, and what course of study you'd be able to do well in for two years, and what type of work you'd be able to tolerate day in and day out, year after year, for the rest of your life.

It's good to be motivated to jump-start your life, but you need a direction, and that mainly has to come from you, and knowing yourself well enough, to have an idea of what path would be a good fit. See what I mean?

There's no point in us making suggestions for programs to enroll in, if you only end up crashing and burning, because they're not a good fit for your talents and personality. What did you do well in, in high school? Or look at it the other way; what did you hate in HS? Was chemistry too hard or boring? How'd you do in calculus and computer science? Do you get along well with people, are you a good schmoozer? If so, you might consider sales. Sales of medical technology pays really well, if you're good at pushing product, and can handle rejection from time to time.

Lots to think about. Take a look at the programs offered, look at the courses required for each field, and notice what catches your interest, vs. what turns you off, when you read the program requirements and course descriptions. Start with that. Then get back to us.

P.S. They have programs in medical technology: running the x-ray machines, the heart diagnostic machines, the MRI's, and so forth. That pays pretty well (probably not as well as computer science/programming, but still--pretty well), and interaction with patients is relatively minimal. Personally, I think running the same machine or two for months and years on end would be insufferably boring, but some people enjoy the work and the pay.

We're really just shooting in the dark here, without more information from you.

Old 07-12-2020, 10:49 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
CAD drafting and / or a few GIS classes might be enough to get you in the door of some type of drafting job. Honestly the only useful thing about my 4 yr degree was those 6 hours of GIS I passed. It got me in the door of telecom drafting. I'm not in that industry anymore but the office experience got me in my current job. Could major in one thing but take those classes on the side to give you multiple options.

Also having a good work record helps in addition to any college degrees. If you've been somewhere for a long time and worked into a supervisory role that does help.

Old 07-13-2020, 01:04 PM

13 posts, read 14,943 times
You said you drive that’s a very great skill.

Look into companies like ups, usps, driving for companies.

Old 07-13-2020, 02:14 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Depending on where you live, logistics is huge now. We live on the east coast with shipping and warehousing and big distribution centers.

Old 07-13-2020, 02:16 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moab1721 View Post
I will be starting community college this fall. What is the best 2 year degree or short certification I can get? I'm 28 and need to get a life.
What's your brain been occupying itself with since you first started this thread? You've gotten lots of advice already...did you investigate any of those options? The basic problem is that you are still expecting strangers to do your thinking for you. YOU have to put in the effort. No one else can.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-13-2020 at 02:25 PM..

Old 07-14-2020, 10:20 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moab1721 View Post
I will be starting community college this fall. What is the best 2 year degree or short certification I can get? I'm 28 and need to get a life.
Your biggest barrier is that you are 28 years old and can't make a decision about your future for yourself. Nobody else can or should tell you what to do with this opportunity. It's your life, do something.

Old 07-15-2020, 09:43 AM

102,209 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedhousingasap View Post
You said you drive that’s a very great skill.

Look into companies like ups, usps, driving for companies.
UPS and FedEx are good companies. I don't know what level of education they require, to get your foot in the door. Maybe just a HS degree. You can look at their website.

But what you need to know about yourself, before you commit to years of repetitive tasks, is whether you need some challenge in your work, whether intellectual or other skill-based, or would you be ok being a driver and hefting packages around for the rest of your life? Same with the medical equipment operator, a "degree" or certificate you can get from CC. The construction trade at least has some problem-solving involved in some respects; it does challenge the mind as well as require some physical skills. Same with electrical. Maybe after a CC program in one of the trades, you might decide a 4-year engineering degree would be more to your liking. Who knows where this could lead.

Old 07-20-2020, 10:26 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
What's your brain been occupying itself with since you first started this thread? You've gotten lots of advice already...did you investigate any of those options? The basic problem is that you are still expecting strangers to do your thinking for you. YOU have to put in the effort. No one else can.
Someone motivated could have completed most of an AA between the start of the thread and now...

Old 07-20-2020, 12:22 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,555,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Someone motivated could have completed most of an AA between the start of the thread and now...
Agreed. Indecisiveness can be your worst enemy. Often times it’s best to start walking as long as you know the general direction, then fine tune when you hit forks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities