Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 09:15 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times

Advertisements

I have two at the same college. The college only allowed freshmen on campus for fall semester. So my senior scrambled with a few of his friends and found off-campus housing IN the same city the college is in.

Senior is happy. Not allowed on campus by threat of expulsion. His on-campus research didn't fit the criteria that would allow him to continue his research.

Freshman is doing well, despite the stupid going on.

Campus is a snitch fest. Had a "talk" with a dean on Friday who told me that the college didn't worry about how they would "monitor" the Covid policy put in place - they'd let the students do it for them.

So yes, there is a webpage where a student can anonymously report a fellow student violating a Covid policy "code".

Problem with this is that the male frosh athletes on campus have been targeted (by a group of 18 year old self-proclaimed feminists who believe all male athletes are rapists just waiting for an opportunity) as well as those who don't "lean left". When I say targeted, I mean quite literally that they are stalked & recorded via cellphone...just waiting for a potential infraction to occur or be spoken of.

My freshman is considering transferring (not a college athlete) due to the climate the admin has allowed.

Sad.

But not unheard of:

https://jordanschachtel.substack.com...GO-MwDnOORSkY8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2020, 06:24 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
Most of the policies you described are also happening at my child's (junior) college. We kept her home so she doesn't really know what it's like. The college said next semester will be all online so I think she's staying here again.

I kinda wish she had deferred the year and gone back full time for 21/22. But it was her decision .

Old 10-22-2020, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Most of the policies you described are also happening at my child's (junior) college. We kept her home so she doesn't really know what it's like. The college said next semester will be all online so I think she's staying here again.

I kinda wish she had deferred the year and gone back full time for 21/22. But it was her decision .
Is her college also charging full tuition for remote learning?

Old 10-23-2020, 06:44 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
They discounted it, but not much.

Old 10-23-2020, 04:09 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:

Why wouldn't they? It is far more expensive to support online learning.

I work at a university in a hard-hit state. We allowed anyone to return who wanted to, but made the rules really clear up front: covid testing twice a week, masks on everywhere but your dorm room or while you're actively eating, physical distance of 6 feet apart at all times, no gatherings of more than 5 people - even off campus, no traveling beyond a 45 minute boundary without permission (including to visit family), and that breaking the rules can result in being barred from campus with no refund for housing. If you live off campus, fine, but you won't be allowed on campus.

Students have to submit a daily health assessment, have a covid test within the past 84 hours, and be cleared for campus to be allowed into classrooms, the library, or dining halls. Soon, they will also need a flu shot as per state rules.

While I hate that it has created a culture where students snitch on each other, this is how we've avoided an outbreak. Numbers are skyrocketing in our area, but we've had less than 10 people total test positive in the last month and probably a total of 15 students since July. Since myself and many of my colleagues are high risk yet have to come to campus to get aspects of our work done, including high risk res life staff who live on campus, I can't say it bothers me too much that the rules are strict. Those who didn't want to follow the rules could have chosen to stay home.

Unfortunately, it seems that those most willing to flaunt the rules have been Greek life and athletes. We don't even need other students to turn them in: our townie neighbors are quick on the phone.

Old 10-23-2020, 04:27 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Grandson has an apartment near school at UCin. Most classes are online with a few in person. I don’t have any more details.

Old 10-23-2020, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Why wouldn't they? It is far more expensive to support online learning.
How so? I'm curious.

My 18 year took 4 online (@ his college) classes over the summer. Zero increase in summer school class tuition.

Professors have laptops, some have shown their lazy and only post the course syllabus and make their classes 100% asynchronous while other professors do not.

Quote:

I work at a university in a hard-hit state.
In what capacity?

I also live in a hard-hit state.

Quote:
We allowed anyone to return who wanted to, but made the rules really clear up front: covid testing twice a week, masks on everywhere but your dorm room or while you're actively eating, physical distance of 6 feet apart at all times, no gatherings of more than 5 people - even off campus, no traveling beyond a 45 minute boundary without permission (including to visit family), and that breaking the rules can result in being barred from campus with no refund for housing. If you live off campus, fine, but you won't be allowed on campus. Students have to submit a daily health assessment, have a covid test within the past 84 hours, and be cleared for campus to be allowed into classrooms, the library, or dining halls. Soon, they will also need a flu shot as per state rules.

While I hate that it has created a culture where students snitch on each other, this is how we've avoided an outbreak. Numbers are skyrocketing in our area, but we've had less than 10 people total test positive in the last month and probably a total of 15 students since July. Since myself and many of my colleagues are high risk yet have to come to campus to get aspects of our work done, including high risk res life staff who live on campus, I can't say it bothers me too much that the rules are strict. Those who didn't want to follow the rules could have chosen to stay home.

Unfortunately, it seems that those most willing to flaunt the rules have been Greek life and athletes. We don't even need other students to turn them in: our townie neighbors are quick on the phone.
Not sure what any of this has to do with online/remote learning students and full tuition being paid by those who are?

Old 10-23-2020, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
They discounted it, but not much.
No discount for my senior or any remote/virtual student - including all sophs, juniors & some freshmen.

Just didn't have to pay R&B or meal plan expenses.

Old 10-23-2020, 11:38 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
My oldest is a freshman in college since August. We decided to do campus housing even though 100% of his class has been remote this semester. I thought it was best for him to be on campus even if the school isn't doing to many in person activities. There were some up/down (especially when there was a spike in the positive cases). School made it an option for student for students to move to single room. He is able to find activities/club on campus to keep him busy.

Old 10-23-2020, 11:59 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
How so? I'm curious.

My 18 year took 4 online (@ his college) classes over the summer. Zero increase in summer school class tuition.

Professors have laptops, some have shown their lazy and only post the course syllabus and make their classes 100% asynchronous while other professors do not.

Did the school offer online education beforehand? Many schools, mine included, have had to completely overhaul our technology infrastructure because we went from 0 online classes and 0 hybrid classes to hundreds.

That means technology licensing, increased server space, laptops and cameras (not all faculty and most staff didn't have laptops), increased HelpDesk, digital communications, information tech, online course design and library staffing hours, equipment to record lecture halls/labs/studios, software to replace labs, and huge amounts of remediation for people with disabilities - such as captioning, descriptive transcripts, remediating PDFs, and staff assistance to make online documents accessible. At my university we estimate that it cost $5 million to transition online. That doesn't include any of the other covid measures. Note: I'm not saying that the cost should be increased for online classes, just that reducing tuition isn't realistic for many schools, all aside from the Ivies and a few well-financed others have pretty terrifying budget sheets right now.

Also, a certain number of classes at many colleges are required to be asynchronous. Otherwise, schools would lose students who are in far-off timezones. In the spring, we had students waking up at 3 a.m. to attend class. We're also finding that many students who are remote are expected to serve as babysitters and tutors for younger siblings, and they may have the household's only computer. Those students 100% would have dropped out if there was nothing offered to them asynchronously.

Quote:
In what capacity?

I also live in a hard-hit state.
We've had at least 8 employees die of covid, including 2 people I consider coworkers, despite being a smaller school. Massachusetts was one of the hardest hit states early on (and these deaths were almost all in the first 2 months of the pandemic), and now the area the school is located in is spiking (hospitalizations, deaths), but the colleges are not.

Quote:
Not sure what any of this has to do with online/remote learning students and full tuition being paid by those who are?
Is the topic of this thread not what is [your child's] college's covid policies? I don't have a child, so I answered the question about the university I work for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities