Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2021, 11:40 AM

71 posts, read 142,124 times

Advertisements

I have become more and more interested in Environmental Science. In my neck of the woods (FL), environmental science jobs pop up all the time and I do not see that changing anytime soon.

Do you know of any online schools that is affordable (per credit hrs) that you would recommend to get a Masters or PhD in environmental science?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2021, 07:59 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
I would start by looking for legit schools that offer the degree you want and then see if they have online courses available. While you may find some MS programs, I think you will be hard pressed to find a legit PhD program that is fully on line because so much of the PhD consists of hands on research. That was a frustration for me in my field. While I found several schools (and even more today) that would provide most courses on line, they all had an in residence requirement that conflicted with my job.

Old 01-18-2021, 08:16 AM

9,132 posts, read 6,185,387 times
What professional or educational skills in environmental science do you possess already? Is your BS in a related field?

A Ph.D. is usually for people who are focused on independent research.

Here. I've done your internet search for you.

https://www.environmentalscience.org...ough...%20More

https://www.environmentalscience.org...-online-degree

Old 01-18-2021, 08:16 AM

3,786 posts, read 5,329,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinejoe View Post
I have become more and more interested in Environmental Science. In my neck of the woods (FL), environmental science jobs pop up all the time and I do not see that changing anytime soon.

Do you know of any online schools that is affordable (per credit hrs) that you would recommend to get a Masters or PhD in environmental science?

Thanks!
Did you take a look at the qualifications for those jobs that you saw posted? Environmental science is a very broad field, and usually jobs are focused upon a specific sector; e.g., hydrologist for river work, aquatic biologist for fisheries, and so forth.

As for graduate degrees, the PhD degree can actually narrow your employment choices. Many state agencies and consulting firms will not consider a PhD holder as their positions require only a MSc or BSc degree. Hiring a PhD means they would likely have to pay more, and possibly lose you if a tenure-track university position opens up.

Oregon State University has one of the country's highest rated online learning programs. Here is a link to their MSc in Environmental Sciences program.

https://ecampus.oregonstate.edu/onli...ntal-sciences/

NFI. Am a graduate of OSU, however.

Old 01-18-2021, 06:55 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Agree with a lot that has been said. As others have mentioned, you will not find a legit PhD online. PhDs are met to train you to conduct high quality, independent research. No real program can get accredited if it’s an online program. They are also 4-5 years. Many MS programs have transitioned online, so that would be your best bet.

Old 01-19-2021, 09:51 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
What is your undergrad in?

I have to wonder how you get a degree in this field without doing lab and/or fieldwork? To me, that would rule out on-line education.

No one will take your PhD seriously, so don't waste your time or money. You will have a degree without the requisite field/lab/research work that comes with earning such a degree.

Old 01-24-2021, 06:51 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
What is your undergrad in?

I have to wonder how you get a degree in this field without doing lab and/or fieldwork? To me, that would rule out on-line education.

No one will take your PhD seriously, so don't waste your time or money. You will have a degree without the requisite field/lab/research work that comes with earning such a degree.
Yeah, I have never heard of any legit online PhD program. They just don’t exist because an online PhD would never be able to get accredited. There may be a few University of Phoenix/Walden University types, but they would obviously not be taken seriously by any employers so wouldn’t be worth the money.

Many MS programs from legit universities have transitioned online, but that’s not possible with a PhD program that requires independent research.

Old 02-26-2021, 11:01 AM

732 posts, read 390,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Yeah, I have never heard of any legit online PhD program. They just don’t exist because an online PhD would never be able to get accredited. There may be a few University of Phoenix/Walden University types, but they would obviously not be taken seriously by any employers so wouldn’t be worth the money.

Many MS programs from legit universities have transitioned online, but that’s not possible with a PhD program that requires independent research.

A bit of googling shows a number of online PhD programs at bonafide universities.

Dunno how they actually run the things. The tricky matter would be to make sure the transcripts are indistinguishable from an in-person diploma as the online variety necessarily has an asterisk attached.

Old 02-26-2021, 12:37 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
How can you have an online PhD in environmental science? The whole thing is impossible.

The PhD is awarded for (among other things) the completion of significant independent research. Independent research in a science implies the presence of laboratories, field study, etc. This is not available on-line.

I call scam.

Old 04-07-2021, 06:44 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post

This is completely wrong. This is one of the most wrong posts I've seen on this sub-forum. It would take you less than a minute to find online PhD programs at accredited, non-profit schools instead of spreading misinformation. There are hundreds of them. While University of Phoenix and Walden don't have great reputations, they are regionally accredited; but, you don't need to go to a for-profit to earn an online PhD.

To the OP, check out these links.

https://www.gradschools.com/doctorat...science/online
https://www.gradschools.com/masters/...science/online

https://www.geteducated.com/online-d...ental-science/
https://www.geteducated.com/online-d...ental-science/

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
Dunno how they actually run the things. The tricky matter would be to make sure the transcripts are indistinguishable from an in-person diploma as the online variety necessarily has an asterisk attached.
This is not typical. Diplomas and transcripts for online programs are usually exactly like the diplomas and transcripts for on-campus programs. The only time it would be obvious you attended online is if you attend one of those Global Campus schools in state university systems such as Purdue Global, Colorado State University Global Campus, and University of Maryland Global Campus, but those schools are mostly to 100% online anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities