Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 06:48 PM

12,860 posts, read 9,080,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
EXAMPLE: "Students will be able to explain the 3 kinds of blah blah blah from the handout." WRONG!! Literally, the fact that I included "from the handout" is apparently very bad. If I take off the words "from the handout," then it's fine. The issue seems to be that including "on the handout" is being too specific about what they're doing (in the usual sense of the word "doing") for that unit; the objective is supposed to be broader, which basically means more vague, even though it has to ALIGN (that's a big assessment word, and I totally get that) with the assessment instrument, i.e. the quiz or paper or whatever. (But this is one that made our assessment guy kind of shake his head since he didn't really see a big problem with including the words "from the handout," since that IS where the students would be getting the info.)

ANOTHER EXAMPLE: "Students will describe x, y, and z in a discussion posting." Again, WRONG!!! This time, it's the fact that I included "in a discussion posting" -- even though that's where they'll be doing the describing. Nope, not supposed to SAY that, apparently, at least according to the outside reviewers, who kept saying "written as an activity." Again, our own assessment guy thought that was being way too nit-picky too.

Thanks for the update. I can understand (there's that word) where they're coming from in these examples. In the first one "Students will be able to explain ... from the handout." the meaning of "from the handout is undefined. You may know what handout you mean. But no one else will know. What handout? Someone comes along a couple of years from now, will they be able to teach the course without your materials?

Similar for the second example. The "in a discussion posting" reads more like an instruction to the class. What if they give the correct answer but on a piece of paper? You might knock off points for not following instructions, but it doesn't change whether they know the material.

I think that's what they're getting at -- separating the desired learning from the method.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 01:56 PM

867 posts, read 725,205 times
Oof! It sounds like they were at least partly interested in separating outcome ("be able to [verb]") from method (handout, online discussion). Nit-picky indeed!

Congratulations on persevering and succeeding!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities