Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2021, 02:10 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,817,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
The reality is most kids today still work during the summer and often during the school year too. And still have to take out loans. A big part of what they leave out of these discussions is states have systemically reduced funding since the 1980s, transferring a lot of the cost to the students.
And a large part is that states systemically INCREASED funding between WW2 and the 1980s allowing for a lot of low quality schools to pop up and expand. So yes, states have been cutting back and this is a good thing. But the federal government created student loan programs that allowed funding to any school no matter whether it was of high quality or low quality. And the result is that we end up with the majority of students dropping out of college before completing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2021, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
if the loans were paid directly to the colleges that may be one thing but these loans don't require any of the money to be spent on tuition or books. I had my own kids to pay for, not your kids car payments or vacations.
Student loans are paid directly to colleges. What are you talking about?

Old 05-30-2021, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
What colleges did during covid gave us a clear indication there will be no free college. They moved classes online but charged the same tuition and fees. I know the staff was still getting paid, but campus operating costs were definitely lower. The campuses were closed but the government grants were not cut off.
Covid really challenged education across the board. Those that were hurt most were young children and college students where being on campus (or in school) matters. It's a shame that they had to move all education online.

Old 05-30-2021, 04:25 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,685,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
if the loans were paid directly to the colleges that may be one thing but these loans don't require any of the money to be spent on tuition or books. I had my own kids to pay for, not your kids car payments or vacations.
They are? Most students have expenses other than what is related to stuff that is on campus, so they will get a check for any excess, but tuition/fees are paid out of the check first as well as other expenses going to the school. Students have a student budget for the year depending on whether they live on or off campus, and can get up to the student budget. I’m not aware of how a student would be able to get enough to buy or make car payments off student loans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities