Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 01:54 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,236,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
So, tell us about how the professor can prevent the students from learning. You know, when the entire class gets a 29 or lower.

How about when the entire class either fails or withdraws, and not a single student successfully passes the class?

My obstacle was Abstract Algebra, a particularly difficult topic for me. I had the highest grade in the class with a 69 and was planning to drop, but no one else was going to, so I stuck it out and got a B. I was the only student in the class who ever asked a question. I understood the subject when I was in class and the professor was more than capable, but I couldn't study because I could never get past page 2 in the textbook when I tried to review at home. Now that I'm retired, I may go back and have a second go at it, right after I finish up this year in the coding academy. It's my third time around on programming, and I'm loving it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2021, 10:11 PM

346 posts, read 647,176 times
It might depend on the instructor. I know some Liberal Arts faculty that definitely have the role of gatekeepers in their programs. Others have a more lax attitude. But there are often courses that have a gatekeeping role. The problem is that students might not run into these faculty for a while.

Also, "rate my professor" is making it easier for students to identify and avoid these faculty.

Old 09-04-2021, 07:56 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,459,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurroBridge View Post
I was a civil engineering major at a PAC12 university in the late 1970s (it was actually the PAC10 then)..
It had juse become the Pac 10 when you there. The Pac 10 formed in 1978 when Arizona State and University of Arizona joined the Pacific 8 Conference from the Western Athletic Conference. The Pacific 10 existed from 1978-2011.

Old 09-04-2021, 09:38 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,047,020 times
Quote:
So, tell us about how the professor can prevent the students from learning. You know, when the entire class gets a 29 or lower.

How about when the entire class either fails or withdraws, and not a single student successfully passes the class?
Again, I would say that the exam did not test what was taught. Not that the professor prevented the students from learning.

Old 09-04-2021, 09:45 AM

Quote:
None of that will prevent a student from learning the material.

A good professor can make learning easier, and a bad professor may not provide much, if any, value added, but at the end of the day, learning the material is 100% the responsibility of the student.
Then maybe students should not have to pay tuition and professors should not be paid a salary. Maybe another idea is, instead of college degrees, to have a standardized test that employers can give to see if an applicant knows the material he / she should know. College can be one way to learn the material. Or you can teach yourself. Or you can just be lucky.

I’m sure somebody is going to bring up the gym / personal trainer analogy. But hiring a personal trainer and signing up for a gym is not the only way to get in shape. Some people can just learn a workout on their own. Some can workout at home and/or outside. Some will just have good genes and always stay in shape without needing to exercise or eat right.

Old 09-05-2021, 08:41 AM

One important distinction is that there are many different factors that professors use to weed students out. Perhaps some are reasonable but others are not:
  • One poster keeps saying that his school weeded out textbook engineers who don’t think outside the box. A valid question is, can those skills be taught, or are they skills that you either have or do not have. If the former, then why are those skills not taught?
  • Weeding out based on subjects such as calculus, chemistry, or physics. The problem is, those are definitely topics than can and should be taught. And, how relevant are they to somebody working a job?
  • Weeding out those who are unwilling to persevere and tough it out despite the possibility of bad grades. These are the classes where the class average is 29, and the exams do not cover what was taught, and grading is very arbitrary. Often more busywork rather than real learning. The problem is, this has the side effect of weeding out students with academic scholarships who need a certain GPA to keep their scholarship. These classes trend to favor the D = Diploma students.
  • Weeding out students who are not doormats. Usually involves professors blatantly breaking rules designed to protect students, while reminding us that they have tenure and that there is nothing that we can do about it. Examples are major exams given during times that the school doesn’t allow exams (such as when the dorms are closed), giving a 0 for any exams missed (such as a funeral or hospitalization), or grades that are based more on attendance rather than performance. Often such professors claim that this is to prepare students for the real world. But this is a major reason why the real world is so dysfunctional. This was the most common type of weeding out that I encountered in school.

Old 09-05-2021, 10:47 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
One important distinction is that there are many different factors that professors use to weed students out. Perhaps some are reasonable but others are not:
  • One poster keeps saying that his school weeded out textbook engineers who don’t think outside the box. A valid question is, can those skills be taught, or are they skills that you either have or do not have. If the former, then why are those skills not taught?
  • Weeding out based on subjects such as calculus, chemistry, or physics. The problem is, those are definitely topics than can and should be taught. And, how relevant are they to somebody working a job?
  • Weeding out those who are unwilling to persevere and tough it out despite the possibility of bad grades. These are the classes where the class average is 29, and the exams do not cover what was taught, and grading is very arbitrary. Often more busywork rather than real learning. The problem is, this has the side effect of weeding out students with academic scholarships who need a certain GPA to keep their scholarship. These classes trend to favor the D = Diploma students.
  • Weeding out students who are not doormats. Usually involves professors blatantly breaking rules designed to protect students, while reminding us that they have tenure and that there is nothing that we can do about it. Examples are major exams given during times that the school doesn’t allow exams (such as when the dorms are closed), giving a 0 for any exams missed (such as a funeral or hospitalization), or grades that are based more on attendance rather than performance. Often such professors claim that this is to prepare students for the real world. But this is a major reason why the real world is so dysfunctional. This was the most common type of weeding out that I encountered in school.
I think people need to learn the skills INSIDE the box before they can be taught anything about thinking outside it. If a professor has a class with students who don’t grasp the basics, then it’s not going to benefit them to focus on thinking outside the box. Students at elite universities or flagship state schools are probably better able to think out of the box because they don’t have to spend as much time on the basics and remedial skills.

That is something to consider when you select a college. If getting a little debt now is going to help you make much more in the long run or have better/more fulfilling job options, it can often be worth it not to choose the least expensive option. There is always a trade off, and I think most people know that there is a different type of instruction between different types of universities. I think these days, a lot of the directional state universities have worked harder to become residential schools and attract better students, so there really a lot of quality options now that don’t require people to spend a lot or necessarily get into the flagship state schools.

The college in my hometown was essentially a commuter school when I went to college. It has a pretty decent national ranking now. It is not “elite” but still very good, with quite a few strong programs. My dad started out in his program when it was brand new, then his particular department decided to have a specialty center, and by the time he left it was all about the center having the highest USNews ranking possible. Needless to say, my dad had trouble adjusting to this since he started at the very beginning. It still shows how things can really change over time.

Old 09-05-2021, 11:11 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
To clarify what I've said, weed-out didn't occur in those classes that required outside the box thinking. Weed-out occurred in the basic, fundamental courses. Knowing the basics are essential to growing outside the box thinking. You have to know those first. That's where the weeding out occurred. Not necessarily in freshman year, but in those courses that were fundamental to going beyond.

Yes, those skills can be taught. Once students were past the fundamentals, then the courses, but more importantly, the culture and interdisciplinary focus, were heavy on developing those kinds of skills. That's part of why there was so much emphasis on student research outside the classroom -- you didn't get credit for a lot of this; you did it because it was good experience.

While I definitely saw a lot of weeding out based on the determination/grit/pick a term, I didn't see any based on students who were not doormats.

To me one of the worst weed outs was tests based on the ability to memorize pages of trivia. The no book/no notes type thing. Yet in the real world it's open book, open notes, open neighbor, open any resource you can find. That's something we have to teach new engineers. You aren't in school anymore; you're not in competition with your co-workers -- you all rise and fall together; reusing existing work is a timesaver; and it's more important to get it right than to do it from memory. in fact on some jobs we require to procedure to be open and not trusted to memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I
That is something to consider when you select a college. If getting a little debt now is going to help you make much more in the long run or have better/more fulfilling job options, it can often be worth it not to choose the least expensive option. There is always a trade off, and I think most people know that there is a different type of instruction between different types of universities. .
That's a critical statement but from many discussion on CD, it seems most people consider colleges interchangeable and don't see the long term benefit from going into some debt now to have better results in the future.

Old 09-05-2021, 12:14 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
I think there is often the assumption here on CD that it is a choice between a school that is $50K+ a year or a school that is essentially free. Once the common application became widely used, students could apply to many schools easily. Before that time, I think people were instructed to apply to 2 of each type of school (target, reach, safety), while now people often do 3-4 of each, if not more.

Assuming a student does well in selecting, they should have a few schools that accept them and may have a choice between a school or two that is more rigorous, but may be expensive, a school that offers a combination of a good financial package and good academics, and a school that is very economical, but may not exactly meet the academic standards desired. There is no right choice for any student. Some students may benefit from the expensive school because the program there is excellent and opens up many doors. Others may intend to have a career where the degree location doesn’t matter as much and will do absolutely fine at the inexpensive option.

I have three degrees- one from a flagship state U, one from a directional state U, and one from an elite private university. I generally had good professors at all three, but the student quality at the directional state U was varied. There were some ultra smart students and others should have been there at all. Some of the core classes were very boring to me because the students didn’t get the basic concepts.

Old 09-05-2021, 01:26 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I think there is often the assumption here on CD that it is a choice between a school that is $50K+ a year or a school that is essentially free. Once the common application became widely used, students could apply to many schools easily. Before that time, I think people were instructed to apply to 2 of each type of school (target, reach, safety), while now people often do 3-4 of each, if not more.

Assuming a student does well in selecting, they should have a few schools that accept them and may have a choice between a school or two that is more rigorous, but may be expensive, a school that offers a combination of a good financial package and good academics, and a school that is very economical, but may not exactly meet the academic standards desired. There is no right choice for any student. Some students may benefit from the expensive school because the program there is excellent and opens up many doors. Others may intend to have a career where the degree location doesn’t matter as much and will do absolutely fine at the inexpensive option.

I have three degrees- one from a flagship state U, one from a directional state U, and one from an elite private university. I generally had good professors at all three, but the student quality at the directional state U was varied. There were some ultra smart students and others should have been there at all. Some of the core classes were very boring to me because the students didn’t get the basic concepts.

Problem is that the cheapest of these will run you about 25k per year, or at least 12-13k if you can commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities