Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2021, 02:58 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,924,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/07/o...onfidence.html

It's because teachers favor girls. Boys are pushed into secondary roles behind girls. As an example: when my kids' school gave out academic awards (best in reading, best in math, best in attendance, best in art, etc.), the winners were almost always girls. My daughter won the best in reading award many times. Her brother read at the same high level. However, he never won a single award.

I also think the lack of male camaraderie from the lost of (1) all male colleges, (2) all male business clubs (4) all male Boy Scouts and (3) all male sports teams is huge. Combined with (4) the increasing number of boys in households without fathers, it's tragic.

Men learn how to act from being a team player with other men. Today, boys crave a team/community which is filled by online games. It's why "Call of Duty" and other war games are so big. Yet, the internet is a poor substitute for fathers and teammates.

I disagree about "aggressiveness" in business. In NYC, the "Mad Man" type of alpha males like Don Draper were pretty common. Even today, Wall Street is as aggressive as it's always been.

When you described male traits as :i.e. narcissistic or even sociopathic jerks" shows how our perspective of common male traits has changed.
I think your post hits the nail on the head.

Old 09-12-2021, 04:48 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,045,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
You have so many things wrong it's hard to know where to begin. I'm not the one with a sob story. No where did I ask for sympathy or someone else to fix things. I know you have teachers who gave you bad grades. We all have. You're the one who keeps dwelling on those teachers whereas the rest of us have moved on.
You are the one who keeps starting threads. I don’t think I ever started a thread on this forum.

Quote:
They no longer control our lives. Stop letting them control yours.
But they are controlling my local cost of living, since most of my taxes are going to their overinflated pensions and health insurance.

Quote:
If you think your job is too limiting, take steps to change it. You know, I understand your problems with grades in school. And with professors who had poor grading policies. Because I do know how much grief and extra work they cause. Now I try to help by showing how you don't have to be limited by those teachers and grades because they are all in the past yet you try to insult me. Forget about them. Stop caring about what those teachers did or didn't do. Let it go. Be willing to give up the safety of your current job and move about the country for a better one. I posted the link to USAJOBS. If you really think those jobs are so cushy, apply.
Why don’t you give up your job so that a woman or minority who you feel is more worthy of your job can have it. Maybe somebody like your soccer playing STEM daughter.

Quote:
Why, one of these days we might get electric lights and indoor plumbing here in Tennessee.
I knew a girl in college who was from Virginia, and both of her parents had 3 hour commutes one way, and she was the only person in her high school who had running water.

Last edited by mitsguy2001; 09-12-2021 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: Removed video

Old 09-12-2021, 04:52 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,045,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I wouldn't have control or influence over who they hired to replace me, and "worthiness" is not something I commented on. By "good" I would mean any professional job class that comes with middle class salary, benefits, and stability.
Private sector jobs offer no stability, so I guess none of them are “good” under your definition. So I guess you want white males stuck in the private sector and the academic and government jobs reserved for women and minorities.

Quote:
I somehow doubt it's "almost all."

But as I noted earlier, we are seeing qualified applicant pools reflect the demographics of who's getting degrees more than whom, so there are 1) less populous applicant pools than we used to see 5-9 years ago, and 2) among them, somewhat fewer men to choose from, and more women. Especially among the younger applicants, more women than men.
Because white males know they won’t be considered for the job, so why bother applying.

Old 09-12-2021, 06:26 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I consider academic and government / civil service jobs to be cushy, since you get job security, a pension, and retiree health insurance, none of which I can get.

That’s because people don’t want to live in Tennessee where your job is. You probably don’t even have running water.

So, in other words, you need to have a sob story to get a cushy job? I had plenty of unfair grades too.

You are paying for their pension and health insurance for the rest of their lives. But I’m sure you don’t care, since they are paying for your pension and health insurance too, since you too have a cushy government job. So you don’t care.
What on earth are you talking about? If you want a cushy job, you apply for it. When you get rejected hundreds of times, you keep applying. For example, one woman who started when I did was well known to most of the people in the office and had a good reputation there. She had been applying to federal jobs for 12 years and ended up having to commute 2 hours one way when she finally got the job.

If you are trying to look for a job that pays what you make in the private sector, rethink. You will probably need to expect to take a significant pay cut. One way to make it easier is not to apply in places like DC but try for less popular places that are less expensive. A lot of people start out in places that aren’t optimal for them. 3 people from my state job went to the feds. All of us moved out of state. One made it back to our home state, but that was only after he switched to a new agency and then applied to an open slot in another office.

I haven’t seen white men getting rejected right and left for government jobs. I know a lot of white men who have been hired and promoted in the last 5 or so years. I work more in social/human services, so the vast majority of applicants tend to be women. Men who do apply tend to do well. At my last job, a coworker’s son got an engineering job for the feds and he is a white man. My understanding was that he applied for very low pay grade, but was able to get an upgrade when they were finalizing his offer. I think he even got it in his hometown, which suggests to me that they have trouble getting qualified candidates since it is a more desirable area.

Old 09-12-2021, 06:44 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Closed for mod review.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities