Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 06:26 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times

Advertisements

Has anybody experienced online college courses or classes? how did you like them? What did you have to do? please expand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 06:38 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,509,594 times
online classes are only good if you need a gpa boost not if you want to learn.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:41 PM

204 posts, read 1,485,062 times
I loved them. I took 3 business courses online. I had to meet one professor for a coffee hour. Basically you have a classroom message board section and when you have an assignment turning it in usually requires posting it to the message board and critiquing a classmates work. I had to do a 62 page marketing plan for one of those classes so by no means are they simply slacker classes. Its just as much work but you post it online. Exams are online too. For me, they were usually timed and either multiple choice or short answer. Essay were submitted separately. It was nice to be able to use the class material and books on the exam but because the tests are timed you still have to know your stuff. I liked them because most assignments are due at 11pm so you have a lot of time to go to work or sleep in.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:54 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,242,310 times
Smile Online classes

OK, I just went back after 18 years and have just a few classes to go. I am taking 2 challenging courses, however, I love it!

I am attending Nova Southeastern University in Fort Lauderdale, FL where I went before. There are discussion and chat boards. There are assignment boards; you can e-mail; you can have a private chat. I also have access to video and lectures that I can listen to over and over.

I can honestly tell you if this had been there 18 years ago, I would have finished (driving was an issue for me) and life would have been a lot easier for me. I love what I am learning and there are students in my class from the Bahamas, Ohio, Connecticut, etc. - all ages and backgrounds and I am finding that liberating, fascinating and inspiring.

Don't give up!

Old 05-15-2008, 11:00 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
THank You!!!!

Old 05-16-2008, 02:20 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,234,109 times
This is actually an area that relates to my work so I'm interested in people's views. Has anyone participated in "virtual classroom" sessions of the type where it's synchronous (real time) rather than asynchronous like message boards, so you can all hear each other and maybe see the tutor? You might also be able to type on whiteboard screens and use voting buttons.

Also interested in what people find better for this sort of thing - message boards or instant-messaging?

Not trying to hijack, Artsyguy, hope you don't mind - just also interested in people's experiences!

Old 05-16-2008, 08:59 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,985,603 times
One CAN learn from online courses - many are not plain-n-simple gut courses to boost a GPA. Of course there are some that are fluffy easy -- but so are some courses one can take physically sitting in a class.

I've taken a number of online courses from both virtual universities as well as brick-n-mortar. I've never had a virtual classroom in which cams have been used, but I've taken classes that were all "lag time" type (message boards, emails) and others that were a combination of "lag time" and "real time" (chat sessions). The latter scenario is what I prefer. I like being able to do my assignments at whatever time of day suits me. I like the specifically-timed chat sessions with the teacher/professor and fellow students. Great discussions would ensue. I would never want a virtual classroom because I certainly do not want anyone seeing me with bed-head and in PJs (my typical appearance as I do my school work :-)

Old 05-16-2008, 09:26 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,234,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
One CAN learn from online courses - many are not plain-n-simple gut courses to boost a GPA. Of course there are some that are fluffy easy -- but so are some courses one can take physically sitting in a class.

I've taken a number of online courses from both virtual universities as well as brick-n-mortar. I've never had a virtual classroom in which cams have been used, but I've taken classes that were all "lag time" type (message boards, emails) and others that were a combination of "lag time" and "real time" (chat sessions). The latter scenario is what I prefer. I like being able to do my assignments at whatever time of day suits me. I like the specifically-timed chat sessions with the teacher/professor and fellow students. Great discussions would ensue. I would never want a virtual classroom because I certainly do not want anyone seeing me with bed-head and in PJs (my typical appearance as I do my school work :-)
Interesting that you prefer the real-time stuff, I think I do too. Do you have any sort of policy to stop everyone writing at the same time?

Message boards have their place for things you might want to think about and write longer comments I should think.

We only broadcast the tutor by webcam, not the students, although that's probably a cost thing!

Old 05-16-2008, 11:56 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,985,603 times
commenting inside the quote ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
Interesting that you prefer the real-time stuff, I think I do too. Do you have any sort of policy to stop everyone writing at the same time?

Most of my real-time classes had 10-15 students. The largest was, I think, about 30 students. The real-time sessions were a typical chat room a la instant messaging. Replies would end up on the screen in the order they were sent, so sometimes a discussion would go off on a new tangent before my reply would be visible. That would usually lead to two discussions going on at the time, but it honestly wasn't confusing at all.

Message boards have their place for things you might want to think about and write longer comments I should think.

Yes, exactly.

We only broadcast the tutor by webcam, not the students, although that's probably a cost thing!

With the tutor by webcam, are there real-time responses he/she can see or is it strictly a lecture during which students, at their computers, take notes?

Old 05-17-2008, 12:02 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
Default Online classes are a viable alternative now

I earned my Masters in Computer Science from American Sentinel University (www.americansentinel.edu). I was very pleased with the progrm. It was very challenging and potential employers never gave the degree any less consideration.

Make sure that the progam is legitimate and accredited however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities