Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2021, 09:04 PM

305 posts, read 213,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I'm originally from an area of Texas that is 60%+ Latino and indeed, the proportion of the population in those counties who have not graduated from high school is around 20-30%.

My thoughts - I think we're on the threshold of the designation "Latino" & "Latina" not meaning anything useful. There's a lot of variation in those cultures by origin, and more variation between states and even regions within states, and as generations go by, they are mainstreaming. Latinx is already meaningless; that is a term I mostly see used by liberals to describe a vast loosely related group of non-white, non-asian, non-black people, vaguely with Latin American origins. But the "x" is supposed to be inclusive of males, females, LGBTQIA within that group. Okay whatever.

When you delve into it, there are not that many differences between white, black, Latino, Asian, or whatever people at that low level of education attainment. The racial distinctions are coincidental. White people who don't value education have more or less similar anti-education attitudes as the Latinos who don't value it.

"Latinos," broadly defined, have grown from about 4% of the population in 1970 to about 19% in 2020. They are projected to be 30% by 2050. They will go through an evolution like what the various European ethnicities who immigrated between the late 19th and early 20th century went through. By the mid & later part of this century, they will be integrated into the mainstream and their problems will not be significantly distinguishable from those of the mainstream. They are already well on their way. This is the same as no one really caring whether white people today are of Italian, Czech, Polish, Ukrainian, Scottish, Irish, etc... ancestry. There was a time when those distinctions were important. No longer. E.g.: my maternal grandmother was of French origin and she hated Italians.
I'm not sure I agree. Assimilation is how societies coalesce, and those white folks from a hundred years ago were eager to do that. Hispanics have shown in great numbers and over decades, that they prefer to remain culturally distinct from the traditional White America (i.e. a fealty to the Mexican flag rather than the British founding fathers and ideals of the US.) Here in Chicago, all of last week I saw countless cars with enormous Mexican flags honking and making a racket for Independence Day. These are not the attitudes of people who are deeply patriotic for America, in my humble opinion. 58% of Hispanics were polled and believed that southwestern United States doesn't even belong to the US.

The cultural elites in this country are eagerly pushing separation and decentering Europeanism (i.e. multiculturalism rather than the melting pot), so what that will do is continue to balkanize the country, ghettoize Hispanics and reinforce their own cultural identity and values. 45% of Mexicans end up attending high school in their native homeland, and nearly half of those end up dropping out. Of those who complete a secondary education only about 25% end up attending college. As we know, many of these people are leaving en masse to the United States, and for me that is a powerful explanation for low educational attainment rates. I see this every day at my job. It is personal for me.

Victor Davis Hanson's Mexifornia is a great read, and I recommend it to everybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2021, 10:35 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,245,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boddicker View Post
I'm not sure I agree. Assimilation is how societies coalesce, and those white folks from a hundred years ago were eager to do that. Hispanics have shown in great numbers and over decades, that they prefer to remain culturally distinct from the traditional White America (i.e. a fealty to the Mexican flag rather than the British founding fathers and ideals of the US.) Here in Chicago, all of last week I saw countless cars with enormous Mexican flags honking and making a racket for Independence Day. These are not the attitudes of people who are deeply patriotic for America, in my humble opinion. 58% of Hispanics were polled and believed that southwestern United States doesn't even belong to the US.

The cultural elites in this country are eagerly pushing separation and decentering Europeanism (i.e. multiculturalism rather than the melting pot), so what that will do is continue to balkanize the country, ghettoize Hispanics and reinforce their own cultural identity and values. 45% of Mexicans end up attending high school in their native homeland, and nearly half of those end up dropping out. Of those who complete a secondary education only about 25% end up attending college. As we know, many of these people are leaving en masse to the United States, and for me that is a powerful explanation for low educational attainment rates. I see this every day at my job. It is personal for me.

Victor Davis Hanson's Mexifornia is a great read, and I recommend it to everybody.
I think that is an exagerrated anxiety on the part of conservatives like Hanson.

Actually the European ethnics kept pride in their countries of origin for quite a while. E.g. John F Kennedy played up his Irish ancestry to his benefit, and the Irish immigration waves started about 120 years before he ran for president and were largelt completed about 70 years before. After him you started getting into 4th and 5th generations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities