Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2021, 10:42 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post
Thank you so much for the bolded (as well as the advice). I figured I would have to retake any science classes and I am okay with that. I enjoy science.

I have no desire to boss anyone around. I really do enjoy helping people. I know it sounds corny, but it's what makes me happy. Nurses make enough money to keep me comfortable too. Starting off I would certainly make less money than I do now, but that's okay. More fulfilling would be worth it. What is the cliche, do something you like and you never work a day in your life.

I've also looked into other possible career changes. I also like fixing things too and have dabbled with minor car repairs before by watching You Tube videos. You only need five classes to prepare for the ASE exam. But I am a 50 year-old-woman. I really don't know that auto repair shops would hire me.

Hmmm, I must be going through a mid-life crisis* sparked by my fear that where I work might be going out of business in a few years. haha

*The women in my family tend to live to be in their late 90s. So 50 is about mid-life. And unlike my grandmothers and great-grandmothers, I don't smoke. I might make it to 100.
Another one I have considered is PTA.

Physical Therapist itself is a difficult path with lots of pre-reqs, observation hours, and competitive admissions, but the path to PTA is less difficult, and very common for older career changers.

Auto mechanic is a very difficult job on the hands, but you may actually have an advantage as a woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2021, 11:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
I have no desire to boss anyone around. I really do enjoy helping people. I know it sounds corny, but it's what makes me happy. Nurses make enough money to keep me comfortable too.
1) my sis went from teacher to RN at age 48 (knowing she would continue to starve (forever) as a teacher. She used part time VA job to fund her edu at Emory. Then she worked one day / month at VA and did weekend grave contract nursing at 3 other hospitals for max pay. VA continued to fund (3) more EDU programs for her. She is now retired from VA and teaching RNA at Phd level. (All paid by VA). Her instructors were not kind to a non-military colleague.

2) Do you need the dough (high salary)? If not consider other roles (less intense training). A similar role is a lead caregiver role at a CCRC (retirement community). Being a manager of a successful memory care / special needs facility will put you in very high demand for next century. BIL is certified as senior care facilities manager (not people manager), He makes $$$$ and has standing offers at many competitors/ He has built, managed, and sold (6) senior care centers for >$5m each (he does not have a degree specific to this but did get a state cert). He is very well suited for this. Mellow, kind, compassionate, understanding, smart, seeks and implements solutions. (Look up Eden Alternative senior care system, very rewarding service). Hospice care / management is also very rewarding service and can pay decent.

3) Other interests? I wish DS would have become a customer service person for airlines the day the kids left for college (at age 16). Been 20+ yrs and the flight benefits would save me having to make 100 flights / yr to get her annual Companion Pass. I talk to SWA customer service agents nearly daily and most LUV it. I can't imagine the benefits in retirement of a double income / double SSI / Health care... We could have a LOT more freedom and give a lot more $$ away to the needy.

3.1) We like to travel, so I take all the international gigs I can find (since leaving wage employment at age 49. ) PAID travel is a good thing if you like to travel (spouse covers their expenses, unless it is a foreign deployment, then spouse comes with a per diem! *Eat out daily!. The travel points will last through retirement.

Look for something that can avoid a NEW education. While I love teaching and learning.... college profs and students are quite 'entitled' and not too informed / engaged these days.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Co..._American_Mind

Old 10-01-2021, 06:42 AM

674 posts, read 608,609 times
OP - I was in your shoes in 2010. I did a drastic career change (from engineering to PT). I was the oldest person in the class, at 53. I had a ball and was very well-accepted by my classmates. Most of them were my daughter's age. I am now enjoying a stress-free job with decent pay. The lack of stress is worth at least $50k/yr to me.

In your shoes, I would go the RN route. It may take a bit longer due to pre-reqs, but you will have lots of flexibility in your career. Good luck.

Old 10-01-2021, 10:51 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Thank you for the answers.

I don't currently live in the state I will be moving to (and where this Community College is). Right now I am just exploring ideas so I think it's premature to try and schedule a meeting with the admissions office. I was just hoping someone would know how things work if you pursue an associate's degree after already having a bachelor's.

On the teacher thing, it's a different process for those making am career change. The state I am moving to has a whole program for non-teaching degree holders who want to change careers to be a teacher. I've been reading up on it.

I am actually leaning more to being a nurse than a teacher. I think both would be fulfilling, but being a nurse has a great ROI when it comes to the cost of education you have to put into it (even with the special state program). As an added bonus, I would get training to better take care of my aging mom. I am also still trying to think of other possible career changes. Like I said, I have quite a bit of time to work with here.

I like my current job and I hope to be able to stay in it for years to come, I am just trying to prepare for what I think is coming if things stay on the path they are on. I've tried for years to convince management to incorporate new ideas to bring in more money... and I personally have made changes that have increased revenue. But I can't do it alone and too many programs operate in the red. It's not sustainable.
Many states have programs for degree holding career changers and that would definitely be the way to go if that is what you decide on. One huge plus for teaching is the calendar. Teaching is a hard job but it's nice to have the built in break. And some districts allow you to opt to get paid over 12 months if you want. Salary is going to be very dependent on location and some states do pay a decent amount.

Nursing would definitely be starting over, but I think in that case, the associate's path to an RN and then getting your BSN while working is doable. Not as easy at 50 as it would have been at 20, of course! lol! But doable. But it's a hard job physically if you go the hospital route. Long days, lots of time on your feet. I would see if you can connect with some nurses, particular ones in your age range and have some frank conversations so you have a real idea of what to expect. There are non-hospital options as well of course, but I think you'd have to at least start there if you were looking for them to help cover the education.

Old 10-01-2021, 11:31 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
One of my HS math teachers had changed careers. He was a former engineer, I remember. If you can teach math, you are golden.

If you could do psychiatric nursing, likewise.

Research thoroughly. You might have a better retirement in teaching, depending on how your state runs public education.

Old 10-01-2021, 12:31 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,234,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Many states have programs for degree holding career changers and that would definitely be the way to go if that is what you decide on. One huge plus for teaching is the calendar. Teaching is a hard job but it's nice to have the built in break. And some districts allow you to opt to get paid over 12 months if you want. Salary is going to be very dependent on location and some states do pay a decent amount.

Nursing would definitely be starting over, but I think in that case, the associate's path to an RN and then getting your BSN while working is doable. Not as easy at 50 as it would have been at 20, of course! lol! But doable. But it's a hard job physically if you go the hospital route. Long days, lots of time on your feet. I would see if you can connect with some nurses, particular ones in your age range and have some frank conversations so you have a real idea of what to expect. There are non-hospital options as well of course, but I think you'd have to at least start there if you were looking for them to help cover the education.
Nursing schools, particularly public community college programs, have long waiting lists and are difficult to get into. There is both a lack of nurse educators and available clinical spots in many areas. But there is definitely a need for nurses.

Old 10-01-2021, 01:16 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,960,264 times
Our friends' daughter recently took an 18 month full time course in a nursing school. She had a bachelors degree but decided 8 years later to become a nurse. The course granted her a BS in Nursing and she qualified as a registered nurse. She quickly was placed in a large hospital oncology ward.
Quote:
Thank you for the answers.

I don't currently live in the state I will be moving to (and where this Community College is). Right now I am just exploring ideas so I think it's premature to try and schedule a meeting with the admissions office. I was just hoping someone would know how things work if you pursue an associate's degree after already having a bachelor's.

On the teacher thing, it's a different process for those making am career change. The state I am moving to has a whole program for non-teaching degree holders who want to change careers to be a teacher. I've been reading up on it.

I am actually leaning more to being a nurse than a teacher. I think both would be fulfilling, but being a nurse has a great ROI when it comes to the cost of education you have to put into it (even with the special state program). As an added bonus, I would get training to better take care of my aging mom. I am also still trying to think of other possible career changes. Like I said, I have quite a bit of time to work with here.

I like my current job and I hope to be able to stay in it for years to come, I am just trying to prepare for what I think is coming if things stay on the path they are on. I've tried for years to convince management to incorporate new ideas to bring in more money... and I personally have made changes that have increased revenue. But I can't do it alone and too many programs operate in the red. It's not sustainable.

Old 10-01-2021, 01:49 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Do you have an Associates Degree? As I understand it, that counts as proof that you've already taken all the bonehead classes, they should be transferable forever.

Students with over a certain number of units had to pay more per unit at my local community college. That may not be the case where you are, or it might not matter.

Have you asked about substitute teaching in your area? A friend does it here; he says there's such a shortage that he shows up and they let him choose what class to teach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities