Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2023, 07:55 PM

16 posts, read 12,328 times

Advertisements

I am applying to graduate school and not sure if I understand this question correctly.

“What does it mean to have a commitment to diversity? How will you develop and apply diversity at XY university?”

I am confused about the “develop and apply” part. I talk about what I bring to university in terms of diversity and my diverse background but not sure what they mean by those two words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2023, 11:15 AM

102,233 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citiegirl View Post
I am applying to graduate school and not sure if I understand this question correctly.

“What does it mean to have a commitment to diversity? How will you develop and apply diversity at XY university?”

I am confused about the “develop and apply” part. I talk about what I bring to university in terms of diversity and my diverse background but not sure what they mean by those two words.
Good question. It's not worded very well. You could talk about your intention to join a student organization representing your sector of the "diverse" student body, or if one doesn't exist, you could start one to give yourself and your fellow "diversity" students a voice in campus matters, policy, and the organizing of cultural events, or awareness-raising activities for the general campus community regarding issues important to your group (blah blah). Check the school website first, to see if they have student organizations for POC and other less represented constituencies.

If you didn't have such an intention, you do now, for the purpose of your application, at least. If you have any experience from highschool or your community in, say, writing about issues, like for a school newspaper, or participating in advocacy groups or community organizing or volunteering, you might be able to work that in. For example, "during my highschool years I did X volunteer work for my community through (church, community center, whatever), and I plan to bring that level of activism with me to my college experience".

You get the idea. If you don't have that type of experience don't worry about it. You can keep your response short and to the point.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 01-06-2023 at 12:04 PM..

Old 01-06-2023, 01:27 PM

So, basically, OP, "develop and apply" diversity means, how would you contribute to the campus community, given your background and a "diversity" applicant.

Old 01-07-2023, 04:33 PM

8,700 posts, read 3,886,834 times
Quote:

Citiegirl, I’m curious as to where you’re reading this question i.e. is it part of a standardized form (relative to the university, as a whole, as opposed to a specific graduate program). The point is to stand-out regarding such, and in-depth personal questioning typically takes place later in the process during the interview (if applicable). Initially, the focus is on your statement of purpose, academic success, letters of recommendation, clearly-defined goals, your CV and relevant experience/study as to whether it aligns with (requirements of) the program, specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It’s not worded very well. You could talk about your intention to join a student organization representing your sector of the "diverse" student body, or if one doesn't exist, you could start one to give yourself and your fellow "diversity" students a voice in campus matters, policy, and the organizing of cultural events, or awareness-raising activities for the general campus community regarding issues important to your group (blah blah). Check the school website first , to see if they have student organizations for POC and other less represented constituencies.
I agree; it’s worded poorly. That said, I question your response as well. I wouldn’t think it necessary to check the school’s website (too funny); I imagine any school (asking the question) would have such organizations. Additionally, if this were important to the OP (and it is something she would involve herself in), my first question would be why she hasn’t done so already (as an undergrad).

Quote:
So, basically, OP, "develop and apply" diversity means, how would you contribute to the campus community, given your background and a "diversity" applicant.
Keep in mind it’s not so one-dimensional (or a concept that only concerns campus life, for that matter), particularly relative to the first question. In addition to internal diversity, consider external, organizational and worldview diversity as well.

Old 01-16-2023, 08:39 PM

204 posts, read 136,334 times
Quote:

Does the question apply to the degree program you will be majoring in? Are you applying for a program in higher education administration? It almost sounds to me like a question in a job interview for an administrative post: "How will you develop and apply diversity at our university [if we hire you for an administrative position]?"

Or does the question mean, How will you, as a graduate student, develop and apply diversity at XY university? Is such development and application part of the requirement for your degree program?

Old 01-23-2023, 08:01 AM

200 posts, read 157,700 times
Quote:
Good question. It's not worded very well. You could talk about your intention to join a student organization representing your sector of the "diverse" student body, or if one doesn't exist, you could start one to give yourself and your fellow "diversity" students a voice in campus matters, policy, and the organizing of cultural events, or awareness-raising activities for the general campus community regarding issues important to your group (blah blah). Check the school website first, to see if they have student organizations for POC and other less represented constituencies.

If you didn't have such an intention, you do now, for the purpose of your application, at least. If you have any experience from highschool or your community in, say, writing about issues, like for a school newspaper, or participating in advocacy groups or community organizing or volunteering, you might be able to work that in. For example, "during my highschool years I did X volunteer work for my community through (church, community center, whatever), and I plan to bring that level of activism with me to my college experience".

You get the idea. If you don't have that type of experience don't worry about it. You can keep your response short and to the point.
Diversity doesn't just mean racial diversity. On a campus with a high male-to-female student ratio, female students contribute to diversity (and vice versa). Disabled students contribute to diversity at 99.9% of colleges and universities, as do non-traditional students, reformed ex-criminals, and veterans. I hate that diversity has become a racialized buzzword. Any attribute that an applicant has that makes them "not the norm" for a particular school makes them diverse and, again, diversity is not limited to race/ethnicity.

Old 01-25-2023, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeninja View Post
Diversity doesn't just mean racial diversity. On a campus with a high male-to-female student ratio, female students contribute to diversity (and vice versa). Disabled students contribute to diversity at 99.9% of colleges and universities, as do non-traditional students, reformed ex-criminals, and veterans. I hate that diversity has become a racialized buzzword. Any attribute that an applicant has that makes them "not the norm" for a particular school makes them diverse and, again, diversity is not limited to race/ethnicity.
Who mentioned race? Not me, nor the OP. In any case, how to interpret and respond to the "develop and apply" question remains the same no matter what type of "diversity" is involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities