Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2024, 09:23 AM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times

Advertisements

I’m almost fifty; and although I could retire very comfortably (and maintain my current lifestyle), I’ve been transitioning into the second act of my career as an adjunct professor (relative to my extensive experience in law/business and previous engagements as a guest speaker as well).

That said, I thought I’d start a thread relative to such. If you would, please share your thoughts in regard to (professional) development and personal growth, particularly in terms of constructivism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2024, 09:55 AM

7,061 posts, read 4,510,340 times
When I retired at 58 I was offered the chance to teach part time at the University and I did it for 8 years. I really enjoyed it and found it very rewarding and it really engaged my mind. It was fun to do something different from my previous career. I was also very lucky that it paid well which isn’t usually the case for adjuncts.

Old 02-15-2024, 10:37 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I’m almost fifty; and although I could retire very comfortably (and maintain my current lifestyle), I’ve been transitioning into the second act of my career as an adjunct professor (relative to my extensive experience in law/business and previous engagements as a guest speaker as well).

That said, I thought I’d start a thread relative to such. If you would, please share your thoughts in regard to (professional) development and personal growth, particularly in terms of constructivism.
I'm an oil and gas guy who has been lucky enough to teach a number of semesters as sort of a part time/fill in/emergency adjunct. I'm about to be 63 and have been stewing over a 2-3 year 40-60 teaching and research gig. The pay and the location are terrible but the weekly schedule and job are awesome as I know more about the nuts and bolts across portions of the research area than the guy and gal running the study.

Anyway, I say continue with the effort to change gears.

If by the last part you mean "Ethical Constructivism" or similar and not the teaching protocol I can't help you because once I absorbed Descartes' simple greatness offered across the ages via his certainty - division - orderliness and review processes I stopped reading/paying attention to philosophy per se all together. If it's good enough for medical studies, NASA and Elon Musk it's good enough for me and my little problems and tasks and thinking.

If you mean, and I think you probably don't, lecturing using the teaching protocol at the college level I'd skip all of it except project base learning which can be great but usually isn't as so often 25% of the students do 95% of the work and decision making etc. etc. However, assuming roughly equal students greatness can happen....this isn't likely at the UG level at least not often.

Old 02-16-2024, 06:52 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
OP, there's been a thread on here about the adjunct scene. If you haven't done a site search, you could try to see if you could pull it up. The take on it, though, was different from this thread. Here it's about segueing to adjunct work in retirement/semi-retirement. That takes the pressure off in terms of the measly income adjuncts make compared to tenure-track faculty. The thread I'm referring to was all about PhD's struggling to make a living from the precarious form of employment adjunct status offers.

Old 02-16-2024, 07:00 AM

12,832 posts, read 9,029,433 times
I'm retired after serving first in the Air Force, then several government research labs. I got volunteering in education from both my professional society and my agency seeing a severe lack of young people entering STEM fields (at both the college and skilled trades levels). When I retired, I considered becoming either a part time adjunct or high school science teacher (interestingly our local schools have no trouble filling most teaching jobs but can't fill STEM specific teaching jobs) but decided I just didn't want to deal with a bureaucracy anymore.

Old 02-16-2024, 10:24 AM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Anyway, I say continue with the effort to change gears.
Heh, thanks. I am looking for more detail/discussion relative to professional development (and resources).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I was also very lucky that it paid well which isn’t usually the case for adjuncts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
The pay and the location are terrible but the weekly schedule and job are awesome as I know more about the nuts and bolts across portions of the research area than the guy and gal running the study.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That takes the pressure off in terms of the measly income adjuncts make compared to tenure-track faculty. The thread I'm referring to was all about PhD's struggling to make a living from the precarious form of employment adjunct status offers.
Yeah, obviously, money is not a concern as I’m semi-retiring/transitioning at fifty (and mentioned such in my opening post). That said, pay does vary considerably relative to negotiation as well as what/where one teaches.

Anyway, thanks for the comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities