Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 10:11 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
I wont give up my own beliefs to get an A just to get an A.
But yet........you joined the military! (I am not slamming the military here, but anyone who has been involved knows that your own beliefs do not amount to a hill of beans)

As for K-12 teachers.....they walk on eggshells as it is. A seventh grade teacher who briefly talks about her day in church last Sunday can be fired, sued, or possibly jailed because of it. Same thing if she happened to be an atheist and mentions that in class. The policies and treatment that were enacted against Native Americans were/are atrocious, but if a fifth grade teacher talks about that, no matter how humanely, well then, bye-bye. Maybe that is an extreme example, but I think that it is safe to say that parents send their kids to public schools to learn; not to hear the teachers personal opinions. Anything that a parent feels is not appropriate in the classroom will be taken to court. School districts are terrified of this, so to keep everyone happy, everything is done by the book. Literally.

Colleges, fortunately, do not follow such strict guidelines. By the time a student gets to college they are generally considered mature enough to handle varying viewpoints. And on one side, that is a point with going to college; to question and debate; to analyze; to develop critical thinking skills. My experience has shown me that if you can intelligently defend your position, no matter how much the teacher disagrees, then you will still come out with an A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 04:13 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
The problem with that is now you have a bunch brainwashed idiots coming out of HS and going into college with no real concept of the world around them. I get amazed everyday by the lack of knowledge or mis-information these people have about things.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:23 PM

650 posts, read 2,179,700 times
I am hoping that all of my children will want to learn a trade instead of wasting their time and money in college. I think that most of the information learned is in one ear and out the other before graduation anyway.

Obviously there are some careers that would require schooling and a degree, but I can't imagine approving of my kids wanting to get something like a liberal arts degree. Imagine all the tables you can wait with that.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:33 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
can you give a for instance please

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
The problem with that is now you have a bunch brainwashed idiots coming out of HS and going into college with no real concept of the world around them. I get amazed everyday by the lack of knowledge or mis-information these people have about things.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:34 PM

Most people I know in college cannot handle more than one view point...they get frustrated and angry if I voice my opinion and try to get me to shut down. Pretty crazy huh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Colleges, fortunately, do not follow such strict guidelines. By the time a student gets to college they are generally considered mature enough to handle varying viewpoints. And on one side, that is a point with going to college; to question and debate; to analyze; to develop critical thinking skills. My experience has shown me that if you can intelligently defend your position, no matter how much the teacher disagrees, then you will still come out with an A.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:26 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,717,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Most people I know in college cannot handle more than one view point...they get frustrated and angry if I voice my opinion and try to get me to shut down. Pretty crazy huh.
I've generally found that the ones who do that 1) have no idea what they're talking about, and therefore can't adequately argue, or 2) are ignorant of viewpoints other than their own and don't know how to defend themselves.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:42 PM

nice post but they do know how to defend themselves well, they give the silent treatment or cold shoulder or get irritated and angry when another voices a different opinion or an opinion they didn't think of....

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
I've generally found that the ones who do that 1) have no idea what they're talking about, and therefore can't adequately argue, or 2) are ignorant of viewpoints other than their own and don't know how to defend themselves.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:30 PM

604 posts, read 1,186,260 times
That's just what we need -- more standardized testing. One test score alone doesn't really tell you anything, with consideration given to the standard deviation. Generally a test score is a single tool to be used in conjuction with other measures. Aptitude tests or certification exams are not predictive of vocational performance. A multiple test score does not necessarily reflect an ability to incorporate and apply the subject knowledge. It is absurd to even suggest that we 'do away with college'. There are more efficent ways to identify the slackards. Like GPA. Work experience. Recommendations. Interviews. And factor in some test scores. The approach must be comprehensive.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:05 PM

I think there are studies that show that your comment is true. People express their "knowledge" in different ways. Some can apply it, some can write about it, others can speak about it, and others can do well on the multiple choice exams which I was always bad at. Just because you are terrible at one thing doesn't mean you are a "slackard" though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
That's just what we need -- more standardized testing. One test score alone doesn't really tell you anything, with consideration given to the standard deviation. Generally a test score is a single tool to be used in conjuction with other measures. Aptitude tests or certification exams are not predictive of vocational performance. A multiple test score does not necessarily reflect an ability to incorporate and apply the subject knowledge. It is absurd to even suggest that we 'do away with college'. There are more efficent ways to identify the slackards. Like GPA. Work experience. Recommendations. Interviews. And factor in some test scores. The approach must be comprehensive.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:00 PM

604 posts, read 1,186,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sociologist View Post
The fact that this thread is even started is sad....its not the students who suggest that college is a waist of time, its media pundits and members of the older generations who never went through to higher education and end up making stereotypes regarding younger Americans. One of the very foundations of this country is now being put into question simply because our employers have lost sight of what it really takes to obtain a degree? Does the fact that still less than 25% of people have a B.S/B.A say something about their character, commitment, and future employability? We still have people in charge today that have "slipped" through, climbed the ladder to higher paid and more prominent potions while never attending college themselves...it was a game of "who knows who" in their generation. When our government stops lending money for public education, or makes it credit based...the value of a degree will suddenly become apparent.
'When our government stops lending money for public education, or makes it credit based...the value of a degree will suddenly become apparent'

You lost me with that last point....it all made sense until you decided it best to terminate college loans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities