Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2008, 12:43 PM

484 posts, read 2,210,737 times

Advertisements

k so my plans were always going to community college and then UC.
But with financial issues and no where to live, is it even worth it?
My dad who abandoned us from when I was 5 is giving me 25grand for the first 2 years and then 25grand after that.....UC costs 25grand per semester so I have to save by going to JC for the first 2 years.....problem is rent here in San Diego is expensive and I wont be able to cover it with a part time job and school. Also the money I am getting from my Dad is strictly for education and he is in Japan with another family so I have no place to stay....
Ive always wanted to go to college but now it seems harder and I dont think its the path for me until I work for a year or so and then go to c.c
Anyways due to financial issues Im kind of worried about going to JC in such a tight financial issue so here are the options im thinking of:
1. Join Peacecorps (its something I would of done regardless later on in my life)
2.Go back to Japan(my home) and look for a job that suits me and live life like I wanted to(hopefully with the job)
3.Go to JC with financial issues-living on the streets(i try to stay away from living on the streets as I have had a bad past when Im in the "street life" atmosphere and risk going to jail as now I am 18 which I really try to stay away from.
Thanks everyone.....and I know I still am privledged getting money from my parents compared to some kids in the world. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 01:01 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Peacecorps is looking for generally looking for college grads. Peace Corps FAQ
Applying to PC/ Requirements
Is there an age limit?
You must be at least 18, although most volunteers are older since most programs require either a college degree or 3-5 years of professional work experience.

How about AmeriCorps AmeriCorps.gov > Which Program Is Right for Me? AmeriCorps is open to both HS and college grads. Or how about Cityyear: http://www.cityyear.org/whowelookfor.aspx

Both of these programs will help you figure out what you want to do next and (I think) cover your room and board. And, great for your college resume.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:02 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times
$25k x twice in 4 years is plenty of money to go to school. Your problem is that you need to go to a cheaper school (or get a scholarship). There are hundreds of schools out there, California has plenty. Find family to stay with for free, or plan on working part time and sharing an apartment.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:16 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,348,405 times
Okay, like Christina said, maybe you need to find a less expensive school to attend. California has plenty of junior colleges, find one in an area that is acceptable for you and go from there.

Also, which UC do you want to attend in the future? And what fo you plan to study? Tentatively map out your plans. If you work hard enough in JC, then it is possible that you might be able to secure a scholarship to one of the UCs.

On the other hand, the Peace Corps isn't a completely bad idea. For one, it would provide you with even more money to complete your education. I think you need to decide if you really want to go down that route, however.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:17 PM

As the other posters have mentioned, there are many (approximately 2,300) 4 year colleges in the US. If you widen your search you should be able to find a few that you like and that you can afford. The best way to get merit aid is to 1) find a college with a large endowment and 2) look for colleges where your stats are above (not in the ball park, or lower) the accepted students. This site: CollegeData: College Search, Financial Aid, College Application, College Scholarship, Student Loan, FAFSA Info, Common Application should give you some good info.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:40 PM

484 posts, read 2,210,737 times
yeah my moms very pissed because shes had to take care of me for all these years and she was supposed to get $500 more but my dad never paid her so she had to balance a job as well...in which I was out on the streets but yeah
now that I am 18 my dad has stopped paying child support and though my mom wants to keep me at her house while me going to JC she cant afford my child support so thats the situation. And though my mom wanted me on her side I never took "one" side because I didnt directly feel how bad my dad was treating us
My mom was saving lots of money when the family was together and wealthy for me and my sisters college education- in which while overseas he spent $10,000 a MONTH of me and my sisters college education on mistresses.....and thats how the divorce went. Anyways right now me and my mom are talking with my dad's mom to help us out. I really want an education as that was what I was taught all my life. I just need help on making a decision on what path to take. I dont want to go back to the criminal side I have as that was the only option I had back in my teens when I was hungry and freezing with no parents(one of the worst feelings in the world). Anyways I applied to peacecorps but they said I need a 4 year degree .........=[
My original plan after high school was go to JC then UC with a major in international studies...Teach english in Japan and then join Peacecorps and open my own business. ...
And please as much as I like the advice of going to a cheaper college for 4 years I need money for rent is whats most impotant.....I will find a job as I recently quit but cant afford to work part time and go to school as I know I will be on the broke side so due to that thinking I should work first for a year and then go to JC......or yeah my other options on the first post
Thanks!

Old 08-15-2008, 08:10 AM

Please read my post again regarding CityYear or AmeriCorps. I know one person that did AmeriCorps right after HS, one that did right after College, and another College Grad that's going to start doing it next week - in Hawaii!

If I'm reading your post correctly, your Mom feels that she must charge you rent for you to stay. Is that right? So you feel you need to save up so you can afford to stay at home this year and then when you are going to college next year as well?

But your father is giving you, "25grand for the first 2 years and then 25grand after that....." From what I understand it costs next to nothing to go to a Community college in California AND you can transfer with all your credits into one of your very good state Colleges. Getting into a UC is not a given, especially if you are not a freshman. http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/paths_to_adm/freshman/scholarship_reqs.html (broken link) Have you read this from the California Community College webpage: icanaffordcollege.com (http://www.icanaffordcollege.com/applications/homepage2.cfm - broken link) Some of the CC's even have dorms.

I would suggest that you talk to a guidance counselor for some good advice.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:01 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,557,380 times
$25k twice would fully fund a bachelors at a very good state college in a lot of states - some states don't even charge out of state tuition (like Minnesota)... you could graduate debt free with that level of funding and have a very good education.

Also don't discount the military benefits and education - ROTC, National Guard, or full-time enrollment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities