Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 07:42 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times

Advertisements

The original post is talking about Public University, one supported by state funds, not having a Christmas tree. I can understand a tree being funded by a private organization but IMHO, it should not be paid for by the college. If we as a country truly believe in the separation of church and state then we should not fund symbols of any religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 08:06 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday
The original post is talking about Public University, one supported by state funds, not having a Christmas tree. I can understand a tree being funded by a private organization but IMHO, it should not be paid for by the college. If we as a country truly believe in the separation of church and state then we should not fund symbols of any religion.
Exactly. Short, sweet, and to the point. They are funded by tax dollars. Not even a single cent of tax dollar money should go to any form of religion. At least, this is what I've always felt.

As for the well wishes, I do appreciate getting them.

Mele Kalikimaka is the thing we say. On a bright Hawaiian Christmas Day.... ((To stick that song in your head.))

Old 12-12-2008, 12:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I agree, but Christmas is 1) a legal, federal holiday, which makes it a little different than other Christian days such as Easter, and 2) so all pervasive in our society that such symbols of Christianity are not really "Christian" any more. Another issue is if the trees are bought with public funds or with some other type of money.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:01 PM

Good point about it being a federal holiday but Colleges are all closed for a winter break anyway so students can celebrate/not celebrate whatever they choose - they are not closed for Christmas. I don't think my kids colleges close for any federal holidays that I can think of. Wish they were!

Old 12-12-2008, 05:42 PM

My kids' colleges (3 so far, colleges not kids, just two of them) closed for various federal holidays such as Labor Day, Thanksgiving, MLK Day, President's Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July. Not all three closed for every one of those. Some grad/med students are around over Christmas.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:30 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times
They aren't acknowledging Christmas by banning the traditional tree and decoration
.....but they are closing for Christmas break and all the staff/professors intend to receive 'holiday' pay?

Last edited by GloryB; 12-12-2008 at 06:53 PM..

Old 12-12-2008, 06:49 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
People say "are you excited for Christmas?" and I have to either lie "yeah", or I have to explain to them "not really, I don't celebrate it"...either way, it's awkward and uncomfortable. Multiply that by 30 and then again by the number of years you've been alive and you understand the frustration of non-Christians with Christmas.
So, because its "awkward" to you, everyone should cater to you and your feelings???

LOLOLOLOL

Old 12-12-2008, 08:45 PM

That's interesting Katiana, my kids colleges were open for all except Thanksgiving (forgot about that one). My son's college is done by Memorial Day, but daughter had classes. Neither went to college in the summer and both started after labor day but definitely had classes for the rest of the holidays. Oh, well - I guess the college pick and choose what holidays to acknowledge just like companies do. I know a lot of school districts have off for Jewish holidays but ours does not.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:00 AM

I'm back with an udpdate. I went to the University of Colorado campus last night to see my daugher's "African Dance" recitial. While over there I noticed that the Christmas decorations are subdued (in other words, not much of anything), but they do have "hoiday" lights on the Student Union.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:37 AM

847 posts, read 3,520,828 times
In case anyone did not hear, the ban was lifted and there are Chirstmas decorations all over the university at this time. I work there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities