Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 04:32 PM

431 posts, read 2,125,980 times

Advertisements

BEWARE!! I took out a student loan while in college. It had a balance of $12,000 when I graduated, and after a few deferments, it grew to $18,000. I have been paying it down and eventually it'll be gone. but some unfortunately souls out there end up owing hundreds of thousands of dollars, mostly in interest and late charges racking up. Check out this website and read some of the stories. Sallie Mae is a big offender.

StudentLoanJustice.Org
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 05:13 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
BEWARE!! I took out a student loan while in college. It had a balance of $12,000 when I graduated, and after a few deferments, it grew to $18,000. I have been paying it down and eventually it'll be gone. but some unfortunately souls out there end up owing hundreds of thousands of dollars, mostly in interest and late charges racking up. Check out this website and read some of the stories. Sallie Mae is a big offender.

StudentLoanJustice.Org
Well, you should have known that interests incurs on your loan for the life of your loan. Having your loan deferred because of school or another reason does not matter, the interests keeps getting tacked on. But, to my knowledge all unsubsidized loans are like that (car loan, home loan, etc.).

The best thing to do is pay a little bit each month while you are in school. Since you are not obligated to pay anything during this time, whatever you send them ($5 a month....$50 a month....) will keep your interests rates down. You will still end up paying more in the end, but by at least paying the interests on a monthly basis you will shave a few thousand dollars off the final price (depending on your total loan amount).

Old 01-29-2009, 05:28 PM
emh

298 posts, read 852,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Well, you should have known that interests incurs on your loan for the life of your loan. Having your loan deferred because of school or another reason does not matter, the interests keeps getting tacked on. But, to my knowledge all unsubsidized loans are like that (car loan, home loan, etc.).

The best thing to do is pay a little bit each month while you are in school. Since you are not obligated to pay anything during this time, whatever you send them ($5 a month....$50 a month....) will keep your interests rates down. You will still end up paying more in the end, but by at least paying the interests on a monthly basis you will shave a few thousand dollars off the final price (depending on your total loan amount).
Interest only accumulates during deferment for unsubsidized loans. If your loans are subsidized by the government, then interest doesn't accumulate during deferment. Of course, it's important to know what type of loan you have.

The OP is right about Sallie Mae. They're pure evil. I had student loans with them years ago. All the agreements I ever signed gave me a fixed interest rate. A few years into repayment, they unilaterally changed my loans to variable interest (I have no idea how they were able to get away with this). They insisted this would be better for me. Do I even need to mention that a few months later, the interest rates on my loans jumped up???

Old 01-29-2009, 09:08 PM

421 posts, read 2,534,452 times
Of course interest accumulates during a deferment on an unsubsidized loan. What happens is that interest capitalizes after the deferment is over, meaning if you accumulated $5,000 during that deferment, it rolls over onto the principle. You think that's bad, try paying for graduate school, i.e. dental school. Trust me people complain all the time about "oh I'm so far in debt", and I respond, "dude you're not even remotely close to being in debt." I know dentist who are well over $200,000 after leaving Temple University School of Dentistry, and these dentists are in-state residents! Yea, enjoy your $18K in student loans because that my friend is absolutely nothing.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:38 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,539,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmiley06 View Post
Yea, enjoy your $18K in student loans because that my friend is absolutely nothing.
I agree. I won't even take my violin out for that one. Hmph, 18K? That is nothing.

I broke up with Sallie Mae years ago. I tell people all the time, forget the student loans. It is a mortgage sized loan that does not go away.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:58 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
BEWARE!! I took out a student loan while in college. It had a balance of $12,000 when I graduated, and after a few deferments, it grew to $18,000.
Well, yeah.

Did you not read the terms before you took the money?

Old 01-30-2009, 03:33 PM

74 posts, read 342,331 times
That's why you work on getting scholarships so that you don't have to take out the student loans. Don't feel bad though I owe $13,000 & counting from Sallie Mae.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:36 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
Ummm... they SEND you notices every year about how much money you owe and how much interests has accumulated over the year... You deferred your loan, why did you defer if you didn't KNOW what that means...

Old 01-30-2009, 03:41 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Try being a pilot. $40k-$50k nowadays for flight training plus your degree, folks are looking at $80k+ in debt upon graduation. First year pay at the airlines is around $12/hr, slowly rising from there. Typical take home is around $1200-$1300/month with loan payments of $500-$800/month. Even the major airlines have taken 50% pay cuts over the last few years, the co-pilot flying that US Airways airplane for example was making right around ~$40/hr and he had been in the industry for almost 3 decades, and at his employer for 23 years.

That dentist with $200k in debt isn't making under $20k-$30k/yr for years out of college.

And I agree, Sallie Mae is the devil.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:59 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emh View Post
Interest only accumulates during deferment for unsubsidized loans. If your loans are subsidized by the government, then interest doesn't accumulate during deferment. Of course, it's important to know what type of loan you have.
I said that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities