Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 12:50 PM

787 posts, read 1,414,956 times

Advertisements

Hi! Daughter is going to be attending Missouri S&T. We're going to give her a laptop for a graduation present. She thinks she wants a Mac, to stay "above the fray" of computer viruses. The reasons I have a Mac is that I like the platform better for music writing programs (I'm a musician), but other than that, I only use the computer for emailing and very simple word processing. She sees me never having computer problems, but I don't think she has thought through the fact that I don't really have to put my computer through the kind of paces her mom does w/ her line of work, medical education writing.

Mom has a PC and runs very sophisticated word processing programs, photoshop and Adobe Illustrator. So of course she's going to have more glitches than me.

Bottom line: I think that DD needs a PC to have the same interface/platform that probably the rest of the engineering world has.

Feedback, anyone? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 01:02 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,926,574 times
I would contact the university, specifically the department that has the program she wants to take.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:10 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Id lean to PC as well...simulation programs are often excel spreadsheet based

Old 04-20-2009, 01:10 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
I've worked for multiple engineering firms/fortune500 co's over the years and the engineering/product development/testing depts. always ran on PC platforms. Usually only the marketing/illustration dept. used Mac. Though my experience was mostly limited to mechanical and software engineering. Perhaps Mac is more often employed in other engineering disciplines (e.g. civil) or design side (e.g. for CAD design)?

Old 04-20-2009, 01:13 PM

738 posts, read 2,957,227 times
The Engineering world runs almost entirely on windows pc's, with some databases in Unix based systems.

My engineering school made it a requirement to have a windows laptop for classes, since all the programs are windows based. I never had any issues with computer viruses using windows, and haven't had any issues with using windows as my platform. I've never seen an engineering company using Macs for their employees, so that's also an indicator of the preference.

That being said, Mac's are able to run windows nowadays if you want, so that may be an option if your daughter is more comfortable with one. During my senior year, I did have a few friends that had bought a Mac after their original computers needed replacing, and they ran windows on their macs when needed. There was always an engineering computer lab available if they needed specific access to a pc-based machine.

I'd guess that 98-99% of engineers use a PC for engineering applications in school and industry though, so it'd be my recommendation to use one as well; She may not have the computer support available if she runs into issues with a mac running windows programs. If you're hardset on a Mac, at least check with the engineering college's requirements before purchasing one. The engineering software she uses will be designed for windows/pc-based machines, so I'm not completely certain on how well a Mac can emulate those environments for all the engineering software.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:20 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
My daughter is an engineer - she has a PC as did her classmates and now her co-workers.
My son is in graphic design - all Mac there!

Old 04-20-2009, 06:09 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
I would contact the university, specifically the department that has the program she wants to take.
Ditto, the school my son attends has specific requirements on the types of computers the engineering students are allowed to use.

Last edited by DubbleT; 04-20-2009 at 06:45 PM..

Old 04-20-2009, 06:33 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,223 times
You should definitely check with the school to see what they recommend. Most all engineering programs are for Windows. Also, a low end PC computer is not suitable for engineering programs and will be a pain to use (it will eventually be too slow to get work done).

Old 04-20-2009, 09:54 PM

787 posts, read 1,414,956 times
Thanks, all of you, for your input. We'll be going w/ a PC.

Thanks again!

Old 04-20-2009, 10:39 PM

157 posts, read 493,941 times
do not need to check with the school..... asking your university about "what kind of computer should I get?" seems out of the picture and awkward

and yes get a PC, I'm teaching an engineering graphic course this term, 1 out of 34 students in my section couldn't use the program at home because he has a Mac -_- and our IT guy is not spending a lot of effort helping him out either, this is one of those things you just want to be with the majority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities