Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2009, 12:29 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,000,537 times

Advertisements

Nope. It costs too much, you know most everything you need to know by grade 10, and the older people in management don't really care about all that fandanged stuff that you'll learn in college.

Although I'd say if you are bent on going, consider engineering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 02:55 PM

822 posts, read 2,048,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checking out View Post
Nope. It costs too much, you know most everything you need to know by grade 10, and the older people in management don't really care about all that fandanged stuff that you'll learn in college.

Although I'd say if you are bent on going, consider engineering.
As an engineer myself, I'd say study something else unless you really, really enjoy cube life, meetings, org charts, death-by-powerpoint and insufferable, mind-numbing bureaucracy.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:14 PM

288 posts, read 852,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Law school is for people with high IQ and shrewd mentalities.
I worked as a legal secretary for the past few years, and believe me, some of the attorneys I worked around were really unimpressive in the smarts department. All they had to do was show up at court appointments and then write form letters to update their insurance clients. They were not really experts in anything, except kissing insurance company ass. They are the worst at managing their own firms. They hired the HR lady not because of previous HR experience (she didn't have any), but because her boss owed our firm's big cheese a favor, then she turned around and hired her hairdresser to be our office manager. HR bimbo and her hairdresser judged the staff's qualities solely on the basis of whether or not you kissed their asses, so it was just like being in a junior high cafeteria, all the time, like a bad dream. I have a Master's degree, but they didn't care, because they never went to college. Typical.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:44 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,975,190 times
I believe you. There are too many dysfunctional people in the workforce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihynes View Post
I worked as a legal secretary for the past few years, and believe me, some of the attorneys I worked around were really unimpressive in the smarts department. All they had to do was show up at court appointments and then write form letters to update their insurance clients. They were not really experts in anything, except kissing insurance company ass. They are the worst at managing their own firms. They hired the HR lady not because of previous HR experience (she didn't have any), but because her boss owed our firm's big cheese a favor, then she turned around and hired her hairdresser to be our office manager. HR bimbo and her hairdresser judged the staff's qualities solely on the basis of whether or not you kissed their asses, so it was just like being in a junior high cafeteria, all the time, like a bad dream. I have a Master's degree, but they didn't care, because they never went to college. Typical.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:29 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,583,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
Even the brightest kid would be at a strong disadvantage by limiting his education to "book and experiments" that he can perform on his own.
What you say is very true. It's also true that no really major scientific breakthroughs have been made in a very long time - for all of the money we are throwing at research and education. They all seem to be discoveries with "great promise" but are actually too expensive to have any practical application. And a lot of R&D seems to just be tweaking of scientific work that was done in people's basements centuries ago. Life expectancy in America is actually beginning to decline.

However, it is true that those books that I can read on my own, were written by people who went through the college treadmill. That said, their college educations probably had value decades ago, producing these books that a non college grad can read and perhaps apply.

I would advise today's college age students to go to a 2 year school first and then take it from there. Dip a toe in; don't take this plunge that everyone says you "should" take to get ahead. Oh, and as for the masters degree holders who don't make as much as a tradesman - well, that's their problem. And yes, I have seen masters students snotting about that they somehow "deserve" more money than an electrician. No, maybe it's just possible you got duped into going to graduate school for no good reason.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:29 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,210,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
What you say is very true. It's also true that no really major scientific breakthroughs have been made in a very long time - for all of the money we are throwing at research and education.
Huh, that's an odd thing to read. Any way...

Top 10 Scientific Breakthroughs of 2008-
Top 10 Scientific Breakthroughs of 2008 | Wired Science | Wired.com

Research today is more expensive than it was back in the day. A chemist 100 years ago wouldn't know what to in a modern day lab. I don't know what you think a real break through would be. With the human genome being mapped, cloning and our growing knowledge of genetics, science is still quite exciting.

Quote:
They all seem to be discoveries with "great promise" but are actually too expensive to have any practical application. And a lot of R&D seems to just be tweaking of scientific work that was done in people's basements centuries ago. Life expectancy in America is actually beginning to decline.
I would love to see some examples of this. Do you have a specific basement lab in mind? And lets be clear about life expectancy. In the US, at least, our society drinks, smokes, eats fast food and the populace are becoming porkers. The only reason people aren't dropping off in their 50's these days is due to modern medicine.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post

I would advise today's college age students to go to a 2 year school first and then take it from there. Dip a toe in; don't take this plunge that everyone says you "should" take to get ahead.
That is very sound advice, and I would recommend it, too, but....the problem to this approach is that if you do decide to go ahead with the full four-year degree, you will be behind people your age who took the plunge immediately.

You will never make the same pay as other people your age because you will have gotten a later start.

Basically, all a degree does is grant you admission to work for some big company where the majority of people will never use one bit of their education while at work. Fortune 1000 or whatever they are companies insist upon hiring college educated people, if for no other reason than when they give tours, they can point to cubes full of them with pride.

If you are not the corporate ladder climber type, working for a Fortune 1000 company as a cube dweller can be a very bleak existence.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
The only reason people aren't dropping off in their 50's these days is due to modern medicine.
Total BS. Modern medicine probably kills more people in a year than it saves.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:57 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,210,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
Total BS. Modern medicine probably kills more people in a year than it saves.
Think about all of our seniors (and not so seniors) on blood pressure meds, cholesterol meds, diabetes meds, heart medications, etc. These people are having their lives extended. That's just how it is. There are cancers that can be treated. Heck, I have a brother that lives without a colon. My grandmother is 91 years old. She's had 3 heart attacks. There is no way she would be alive without modern medicine. This could not have been possible 100 years ago. But, generally people do not take care of themselves. A lack of preventative care is probably one of the biggest reasons our society is in health trouble.

Any way, all side effects resulting in death combined do not equate the extended years given to millions. Don't get me wrong, I'm attracted to natural remedies and the like, but I keep the CT stuff in check.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:55 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,975,190 times
You call those breakthroughs? How does ice on mars matter to any of us?
The person who cured AIDS in Germany had to practically destroy his patient and put him in danger before the bone marrow transplant could work. The other "breakthroughs" were meaningless or of only some significance.

The fact that the research market is inundated with money yet provides little results too late is a major problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Huh, that's an odd thing to read. Any way...

Top 10 Scientific Breakthroughs of 2008-
Top 10 Scientific Breakthroughs of 2008 | Wired Science | Wired.com

Research today is more expensive than it was back in the day. A chemist 100 years ago wouldn't know what to in a modern day lab. I don't know what you think a real break through would be. With the human genome being mapped, cloning and our growing knowledge of genetics, science is still quite exciting.

I would love to see some examples of this. Do you have a specific basement lab in mind? And lets be clear about life expectancy. In the US, at least, our society drinks, smokes, eats fast food and the populace are becoming porkers. The only reason people aren't dropping off in their 50's these days is due to modern medicine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities