Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 09:53 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Care to back this up with examples?
I'm interested in examples as well so we know exactly what we're talking about. Tho, it's not out in left field to assume private and Ivy uni's have more to offer students. For one, the caliber of students is probably always better in private and Ivy. Maybe not so much when it comes to the sciences, but OTOH, I'm sure an institution with more money has superior resources in the way of labs (instrumentation and tools). Not having the right tools can really impede work in any field.

It's hard to say. Look at North Eastern, which I believe is a Tier II or III, but it's private IIRC. I didn't go there, but I had friends that did. They have co-op programs for most, if not all, majors. That's opportunity. Public uni's that I know of do offer directed studies, senior research, etc for undergrads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 10:52 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,223 times
As always, highly depends on the program one chooses. A professor is generally either good at research, good at teaching, or good at both (which is even rarer). However, the school would probably rather have a professor that is good at research since that is where the money and reputation comes from. I know someone that came from Russia to work specifically with one professor who has gotten many industry awards and invited as visiting professor to other universities in other countries (Japan, Germany). However, people said in class it's not the easiest to figure out what he's doing.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:29 PM

12,774 posts, read 14,983,025 times
I'm personally working towards my 2nd Masters degree & I'm only 34. SHould be done at 38. Then, I still may work on a PhD, who knows!

Old 09-24-2009, 07:38 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,663,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I'm personally working towards my 2nd Masters degree & I'm only 34. SHould be done at 38. Then, I still may work on a PhD, who knows!
In aggregate, there's no money in academia. Therefore overloading in pieces of paper with Latin scribble in them is not a time-cost-effective way of substantiating a livelihood, never mind in a timely manner. The PhD to tenured professor route is dead for the median, people need to stop chasing the wire after the carrot has already been eaten by your parent's generation you know.......

Old 09-24-2009, 11:34 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
In aggregate, there's no money in academia. Therefore overloading in pieces of paper with Latin scribble in them is not a time-cost-effective way of substantiating a livelihood, never mind in a timely manner. The PhD to tenured professor route is dead for the median, people need to stop chasing the wire after the carrot has already been eaten by your parent's generation you know.......
What are you talking about? In aggregate? Do you mean that there is no money in academia collectively? Who said that there was! That is why professors become involved in research; to supplement their income with some of the research money and/or to use the research to publish a book with the hopes of supplementing their income that way.

And, why do so many people equate obtaining a Ph.D. with the ability of maintaining livihood?

The tenured professor is dead? Not quite. Not to mention that a good amount of those professors who are tenured are getting to be pretty old. In about five years time there is going to be a huge opening with these positions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities