Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 10:32 PM

3 posts, read 11,989 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am doing very bad my first year of college. I don't seem to be prepared at this point to be able to pass my classes. I am miserable at the college I am at. I need advice on my student loans. I have $15,000 in loans. If I quit the semester right now and transfer to a tech school or easier smaller college will I lose my loans and have to start paying them right now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 06:57 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolltideroll22 View Post
Hi, I am doing very bad my first year of college. I don't seem to be prepared at this point to be able to pass my classes. I am miserable at the college I am at. I need advice on my student loans. I have $15,000 in loans. If I quit the semester right now and transfer to a tech school or easier smaller college will I lose my loans and have to start paying them right now?
Any loan money you receive this semester is yours but you will lose any and all financial aid that you would receive next semester, you will have to reapply for financial aid at the new school, but you will not have to start paying back any loan until after you are done with college.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:44 AM

536 posts, read 1,870,720 times
K-luv is correct, you will probably have to reapply for aid. But if you wait too long to start at another school your loans will kick in after 6 months. As long you can show you are registered you should be OK.

But you are so far into the semester you will probably end up paying for the entire semester at your current school anyways. Make sure you apply to the new school as soon as possible to get them moving on the loans.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:42 PM

Thanks, that is great news for me

Old 10-26-2009, 03:48 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Quote:
Have you tried talking to any of your instructors? What are the terms of your loans?

Old 10-26-2009, 06:01 PM

204 posts, read 635,048 times
Begin the process of transferring to a community college your next semester. Just send them your FASFA information. And speak to advisers (both academic and financial aid officers) at both colleges to ensure there are no hookups.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:10 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
How can you have $15,000 in loans already if this is your first year? At most, it's your second semester. Plus, these are questions you should be asking your college financial advisor rather than a bunch of anonymous people on the internet.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:15 PM

853 posts, read 4,035,447 times
If your loans are Federal Loans (Stafford, Perkins), then your loans would go into repayment after 6 months of less than half time attendance (might be 9 months for Perkins). If you re-enroll in school (at least half time) before the end of the 6 month grace period, then your loans should not go into repayment. If any of your loans are private student loans, then you would want to check with the lender of the loan to find out about grace periods, deferments, etc.

I would also follow the advice of talking with your school(s) to make sure you know exactly how it will all work.

Good luck!

Old 10-26-2009, 11:04 PM

Thank you I will do that first thing tomorrow. I have used around 7,000 of the loan this semester. 4,000 is private I believe. I will have to get in contact with someone to find out what the grace period would be.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:39 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times
The grace period is 6 months. If you enroll in another school and attend winter session, you will still be in-school status so the grace period will not start. For some loans, once you enter the grace period, the clock starts. For instance, if you were out of school for 4 months, when you graduate you'll only have 2 months of grace left. Summers off don't count as long as you return to school that fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities