Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2009, 07:45 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,791,780 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who has a 3 year degree from a college in Canada (Cambrian College - Full-time Programs (http://www.cambriancollege.ca/_Our_Programs/Full-time_programs/showpage.cfm?cboPrograms=/fulltime/html/termprograms/201009cety.htm - broken link)) and he wants to come to the US to study further. A few questions:

(1) I *think* he'd need to transfer his credits to a university and some would probably go towards his B.S. He wouldn't just be able to skip to a Masters though, right?

(2) How does funding work for Canadians? I know he probably can't get student loans through FAFSA/US banks... but it seems like Canadian banks will only do a $10k loan unless he's in a graduate program...which as we all know, won't cover a semester

Thanks in advance for any help or resources!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 07:49 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,791,780 times
Bump...

Old 11-06-2009, 02:31 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,868,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbcat View Post
I have a friend who has a 3 year degree from a college in Canada (Cambrian College - Full-time Programs (http://www.cambriancollege.ca/_Our_Programs/Full-time_programs/showpage.cfm?cboPrograms=/fulltime/html/termprograms/201009cety.htm - broken link)) and he wants to come to the US to study further. A few questions:

(1) I *think* he'd need to transfer his credits to a university and some would probably go towards his B.S. He wouldn't just be able to skip to a Masters though, right?

(2) How does funding work for Canadians? I know he probably can't get student loans through FAFSA/US banks... but it seems like Canadian banks will only do a $10k loan unless he's in a graduate program...which as we all know, won't cover a semester

Thanks in advance for any help or resources!
1. Up to the College to decide. Usually, they do not accept 3 year degrees from Pakistan or India. Those 3 year degrees are pretty good. They just don't do the general education crap we have to do, since they do it in High School. I'm pretty sure they that Canada is not a problem.

2. There are some bankls that do offer financial aid for international students. Honesty, I do not know why he wants to come here. Can get the same edication in Canada for MUCH less money. To get the F-1student visa, you have to prove that you got ebough money to pay for one year, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities